18 B Javelina Help

bonepiler

Ihave a 18B archery javelina tag and was hoping to get a few tips on some good areas to start looking in. Any help or advise would be appreciated. PM me or post, whichever you prefer if you wouldn't mind helping. Thanks.

From AZ G&F site:

Javelina
Overview: The javelina heard still appears to be fairing well in Unit 18B. Overall hunt success usually runs around 30 percent. Other than the general rifle season, there is also a H.A.M. hunt and an archery hunt that occur in 18B. Often, javelina can be harder to find during the rifle hunt after being pressured into more remote locations from the archery and H.A.M. hunters. Weather can be a big factor during any of these hunts. When it is cold and wet, look for the javelina to be out on the sunny slopes as soon as the sun comes up, but if it is warm, expect to find them keeping cool in the brush near the bottom of drainages or near springs.

Areas: The most popular place to hunt javelina in 18B is off Signal Road to the east of Highway 93 (milepost 132). This area is usually populated with many camps and is easily accessible in good and bad weather. This area consists of mixed Mohave and Sonoran desert scrub in the lower portions and more chaparral as elevation increases. There are many drainages and breaks that provide opportunities for glassing.

Two other popular areas are Bozarth Mesa to the east of Burro Creek, and Goodwin Mesa to the west. Hunters will not be permitted to use the Bagdad Mine to access the lower portions of Bozarth Mesa. Bozarth, Behm, and Contreras mesas can all be accessed from Camp Wood Road. Goodwin Mesa can be accessed from Signal Road east of Highway 93 at milepost 132, or from the Upper or Lower Trout Creek roads at mileposts 107.5 and 110.5. These two areas allow a hunter to do a lot of glassing with binoculars or a spotting scope. They are large, semi-desert grassland mesas with some canyons and drainages and there is plenty of forage for javelina.

Other areas include: any of the desert areas that can be accessed from the two track roads that run east from Highway 93, areas along Highway 97, or the road at Nothing, Ariz. that goes to Burro Creek.

It is also recommended you purchase a mountain lion tag. Several lions are observed every year during this hunt.

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

I don't know much about 18B. But I do know 1 universal thing about AZ big game. Scout, scout & scout. Generally if you put in your time, you'll have a much better time. I'm not promising a kill but your odds will be much better.

"Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak."
-Ted Nugent-

bonepiler, Have you tried looking up old posts in the search section? If you haven't that would be one area that might help you out. Otherwise try around Bagdad. quest

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom