A differenet 12A late question

sremim

Very Active Member
Whats everybody's thoughts on the quality of the 12A late hunts? East and West. I've heard over the lase couple years that the hunts are going down hill. Sure there are still some whoppers, but fewer and farther between. Is it worth it to apply for them.

I've been going back and forth between 12A and 13A&B as a first choice the past few years when applying. Of course I'd love to draw the strip, but I want to do other hunts as well and not sure I want to wait forever for a strip tag.

I'm just looking for opinions on the quality of the late hunts....is it still worth it? I have 12 resident points.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-29-12 AT 08:30PM (MST)[p] WAY DOWN HILL.......I WENT, AND WONT REALLY CHASE THAT TAG AGAIN. KINDA SAD......(12A WEST LATE)........YD.

the 12a west/east quality has dropped over the last few years. there are still great deer, but the quantity is just not where it used to be. Thanks, Allen Taylor......

It seems way down hill to me as well! The only problem is I haven't been back in a few years and have chose to hunt other units. I just got tired of the same old small and medium size bucks running around. Of course the Kaibab is still one of my favorite areas to scout or hunt especially for the late hunt; so I will probably check it out again soon. It's got a lot of potential just like back in the 80's and 90's so I'm hoping it comes around soon. I've also heard a few good reports from the archery kaibab hunters that the hunting has improved since the draw, but I'm don't know how much that has played into the quality of the late hunts. With 12 pts I would probably go 13A/B first and 12A west late second. Either way any of the tags will give you a shot at a great buck!

If I were you with 12 points, I would hold out for a 13 a or b rifle tag. I drew the 13 b rifle tag with 10 points last year and killed a 205 6/8 typical 4 point. We were after a 215+ non typical, but couldnt connect. The strip is awesome.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom