Actual data on how the herds are doing so far.

Good data! I have seen especially in elk in places I have never seen before. I grew up outside of Brigham city towards honeyville. Never seen an elk on the mountain above my parents house til this year. The animals are moving a lot to find feed. But glad to see the data deer are doing well.

I figured the Kamas unit was around 60% based off how many deer I've seen dead so far. I didn't realize how much worse things are at Wallsburg and on the Morgan Cache South. The northern region took a beating.

That's the best fawn survival I've seen recorded for the Zion in over a decade.

I also follow the wildlifeprof and I'm glad he shares this data with the public.

I found this discussion in the comments of that post and thought it was interesting enough to share with all the talk in other posts about feeding and what not.
Screenshot_20230406_075354_Instagram.jpg

Sadly I would like to see the dates on those as it has been my understanding cache took a BIG hit on yearling deer.. and until they get through spring we really won't know what mortality rates are.

Sadly I would like to see the dates on those as it has been my understanding cache took a BIG hit on yearling deer.. and until they get through spring we really won't know what mortality rates are.
I heard the same, the rich county area was deep where they winter

Cache only has an 8% survival rate. If you click the link and swipe right you'll see those stats.

Ohh sorry I guess I looked at it incorrectly.

Does it have dates as I was expecting 100% mortality on yearling deer.

Those numbers are current as of 4/3/23.

But if you swipe on the pictures it also shows that fawn survival is only 8% so the fawns have definitely taken a huge hit.

Is there a direct link to this info??

I think this would calm some nerves as a lot of people feel that all of utah is like the Henifer Echo Junction area and everything is dieing but it actually looks dang good in a lot of areas.

Is there a direct link to this info??

I think this would calm some nerves as a lot of people feel that all of utah is like the Henifer Echo Junction area and everything is dieing but it actually looks dang good in a lot of areas.
If you click on the picture in my post it will take you to the Instagram page of the professor at BYU that is doing the study. He is the one that posted the info. He has also posted lots of other useful information over the last year or so that I have been following him on Instagram.

He is also pretty good at answering questions if you have any.

Good data! I have seen especially in elk in places I have never seen before. I grew up outside of Brigham city towards honeyville. Never seen an elk on the mountain above my parents house til this year. The animals are moving a lot to find feed. But glad to see the data deer are doing well.

Yup.

Elk in South Weber is a new one for me

In the 80s they went all the way to Washington Terrace.

I was just a kid but I seen about 80 elk that wintered down in the fields behind the hospital.

We use to ride are bikes in the summer up to the mouth of the weber canyon and we would see elk there that would get hit by trains also.

That's great info, thanks for sharing. Hopefully the numbers don't increase to much more for the remainder of April. I would be real interested seeing that same data a month from now. Some areas of the state should really benefit from the moisture, other area's obviously have paid a heavy price.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom