fixed blades

PaleHorse

I have never shot 2" vanes until this year. How do fixed blade broadheads fly with the smaller vanes? I have always shot thunderhead 100gr with 4" vanes. They have always grouped and preformed well. I haven't had a chance to shoot my broadheads yet. Some people have told me that with the shorter vanes the fixed blade affects the flight a lot more.

PaleHorse: 2" Blazer vanes, small diamiter arrows, and a small aerodynamic style broadhead like a 100 gr. G-5 Striker/shoots same as field points and 8" less drop at 50 yards.

Let the new technology work for you.

))))......>

PaleHorse: Also you do not get maximum results if you try mixing old technology with new technology. The 2" Blazers and arrows will not shoot well using those Thunderheads especially out past 30 yds. You need the complete set up "new technology" to get the most out of your gear ...you will never go back once you see what you can accomplish with the new tech setup.

)))).......>

+1. New small diameter arrows, small blazer vanes and new broadheads that are aero dynamic have changed the archery game.

so I put some broadheads on tonight and shot them. They did not hit the same place as my field tips, but they grouped just as tight. I have always had to move my sights a bit from frield tips to broadheads anyway so I don't know. I guess I will shoot them for a bit.

PaleHorse: If you can and have time...pick up a 3pack of some of the new technology smaller aero dynamic broadheads mentioned and shoot them for a while. Shoot them against those Thunderheads side by side. You will not be disapointed and you will get full effeciency from your new technology setup of 8 inches less drop at 50 yds.

Those Thunderheads are deadly BUT those large blades on those 2" Blazer vanes time and time again give poor results in the field at longer ranges. Lots of wind deflection issues because those small blazer vanes are not enough to stablize those big broadheads in the wind. You can hit anything close range but if you are trying a longer shot 40+ with some wind you really take to much chance of wounding or if your lucky just plain missing game.

You will find that the new smaller aero dynamic broadheads shoot same as field points out to 60 yds and beyond and there is no need to make any sighting adjustments going from field target points to these broadheads.

Good hunting and good shooting :)

))))......>

Thank you all for your imput! Everything else in my set up is brand new I guess I should splurge and try some others. I guess I am aprehensive for on reason because i have a dozen and a half new thunderheads.

That being said I think I will try some others. What worries me is that the thunder head were shooting at least 6" to the theft of my point of aim. That alone worries me about major deflection.

I drew an le archery elk tag this year. I would rather not risk anything. I want to have complete confidence.

I hate to say goodbye to the thunderheads. I have slayed a lot of critters with them!

Truckloads of elk have been killed with Thunderheads. If you want to continue using them, fletch up some 4-5" vanes with a good amount of helical, tune your bow as best as possible and go hunting. I like the newer style aerodynamic heads too (VPA Terminators for me), but they aren't mandatory. You can probably make what you have work fine.

I too used 4" vanes with the Thunderheads until last year when I went to the 2" Blazers and Slick Trick 100gr broadheads. I couldn't be happier. They fly better then any previous vane broadhead combo that I've tried.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom