HOAL AZ Strip buck!

DonMartin

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Nov-15-10 AT 10:13PM (MST)[p]Just wanted to share the news that 15-year-old Lucas(Luc)Orton from Eagle Mtn. Utah was able to bag himself a great buck on his recent hunt through the Arizona Hunt of A Lifetime organization.

Luc has a cancerous tumor in his left shoulder which made holding a rifle tough if not impossible. However by using Dr. Cade Smith's "The Gun Claw" to stabilize the rifle, Luc was able to harvest the largest deer he has ever taken.

Luc had his own "Dream Team" for this hunt which included Kenny Turner, Scott Snay, Chris Dow, Mike Cobb, videographer Guy Rohrback, his grandfather Ron Orton Sr. and Dave Worthen.

Luc and his team were able to look at 27 bucks during the six days that Luc hunted.

In the end, it was Chris Dow who located a group of deer with a nice buck and went back and got Luc and the rest of the team. With Guy rolling the video, Luc bagged this 27 3/8 inch wide heavy 5 X 4 with his new Savage 270 rifle that was given to him courtesy of HOAL.

Hopefully, we'll get the complete story in one of the regional hunting magazines, along with a lot more photos, but I can tell you this was one happy young man! In the video, when the first shot hits the buck, you can hear Luc yelling, "Yes, Yes".

Besides the HOAL folks and all of the volunteers, I want to thank Tiger Thompson of Cactuflage in Lake Havasu City, AZ who donated a complete set of awesome camos to Luc and his grandfather, and to the Mohave Sportsman Club in Kingman,AZ who graciously supported the dinner we had for Luc and his team on the first night that Luc was in deer camp.

Don Martin
Outfitter/Guide Coordinator
AZ Hunt Of A Lifetime

9344hoal_13b_orton_team_2010.jpg

1619lucas__orton_hoal_13b_2010.jpg

Great write up and buck. Congrats to the young hunter, sounds like he had a memory making experience and thats what its all about!

There are not enough deer in Utah...FOR REAL.

In my haste to post this information on this site, I forgot to mention some very important folks.

First of all, I'd like to thank Dr. Jim Witham, who resides in Idaho, for graciously donating his AZ Strip deer tag. Without his generous donation, this hunt would have not been possible. Thanks Dr. Jim!

Next I'd like to acknowledge Henry Aguilar, owner of Henry's Artistic Wildlife (928-753-2357)in Kingman. Henry is a world class wildlife artist (taxidermist) and he has offered to donate his services to do the work on Luc's awesome deer. I guarantee that when Luc gets this mount back, it will be something he will cherish forever! Thanks Henry!

Last but certainly not least, I'd like to thank Mr. Sam Christianson of CS Custom Meats (435-705-8696)in St. George Utah who is handling the custom butchering of Luc's deer.

Others who played an important part in putting this all together included Blaine Cox and Jake Shelby from the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources (435-865-6100) who were the folks that initially contacted me and told me about Luc. Without their help and intervention, HOAL AZ would have never known about Luc, and again this hunt would not have happened.

HOAL AZ is always looking for outfitter/guides or just sportsmen and women who would like to help out on these type of outdoor adventures. We are always looking for more kids who want to go an exciting outdoor adventure with us, so if you'd like to volunteer with HOAL AZ or know of child that we can help, don't hesitate to call me at 928-681-4867 or our State Ambassador Matt Minshall at 602-471-3038.

Believe me, when you do your first outdoor experience with HOAL, you'll be hooked forever in helping out those who have been dealt a tough hand in life.

Don Martin
Outfitter/Guide Coordinator
AZ Hunt Of A Lifetime
928-681-4867
928-303-9481

Man, I must be brain dead..I forgot that my friend Kensen Lee in Las Vegas was able to hook me up with Blaine Gubler, a taxidermist in St. George. (435-669-5494) Blaine was the one who got me in touch with Sam Christianson, the butcher.

These kinds of projects only work when a lot of folks pull together for a common cause.

And for kids like Luc, that is what this is all about.

Thanks again to those that stepped up. Great to work with all these guys and with families like the Orton's. They are top notch people for sure!

Don Martin
AZ HOAL

LAST EDITED ON Nov-16-10 AT 06:54PM (MST)[p]Thats just awesome Don! That will be a memory that the young man will never forget. Kudos to you and the team to put all of this together buddy!
I hear that you AWO whacked a couple of other stud bucks up there too!

Dave

Yep, we did OK..

Tony Keller got a 34 inch 9 X 5 (I think) cactus buck that has three drop tines on one side and a single huge drop on the other.

The next day his 16-year-old son had a 100 yard shot at a 34 inch 5 X 5 we called "Box 5" but the bullet hit a small branch (we were in a burn at the time)and deflected down and hit the buck in the bottom of the brisket. We looked two straight days for this buck but never saw him again. This was his first buck hunt. He ended up taking a nice 4 X 4.

We never saw another deer hunter where we were at on these hunts. Notice the Joshua Tree behind Tony and Forrest. Folks just don't believe there are deer in that low desert....

Off to the eastside Kaibab tomorrow. Just spent three days up there setting up camp and looking around. Didn't see any rut activity and the 12 bucks I saw were mostly small ones. Oh well, we'll give our best!

Don Martin
AWO

7062tony_&_forrest_keller_13b_2010.jpg

Awesome that so many people would pitch in to make a great young man's life better and give him a great memory...Congratulations to all the 13B hunters, but especially Lucas:)

I hope to have my chance someday too..before getting too old:) 14 nonresident points & 47 now...Holding for that or nothing...Would like to be able to apply further south. Can't now....

Awesome, Don! Thanks for all the help you give with HOAL. Sounds like great hunts!

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom