Lolo wolf down!

MichaelJ

Very Active Member
Went wolf hunting saturday up the Lochsa (Lolo Zone) with my hunting pard and good friend. We literally saw more wolves than elk... Not much of a story to tell here other than we were heading into a big drainage on snowshoes to chase a pack of 14. Ended up finding a pack of 5 across the river from the trailhead and my buddy was able to put this young male down at about 100 yds! I could've doubled up but my tags expired on Jan 1 and I figured if we filled his two than we'd be doing alright rather than spend the cash I really don't have right now. I could see the others as they took off through the trees but Al couldn't so no follow up shots to try and drop a second one.

Scariest part of the whole ordeal was we had to wade chest high water for about 40 yds to get across the river and get to the wolf! Getting him back across was interesting and Al ended up getting taken downstream for about 20-30 ft and went completely under. Thank god we were only a few hundred yds from the truck and dry clothes!

wolf4.jpg

wolf3.jpg

wolf2.jpg

We stopped in Kamiah on the way home and people were pulling into the parking lot to congratulate us and shake our hands! It was pretty cool! About 10 miles outside of Lewiston we passed a Honda CRV with a woman inside. Her license plate read "WLFDNCR"... we just rolled down the windows and waved n smiled as we passed her.... :laugh:

wolf1.jpg

Mike

LAST EDITED ON Feb-05-12 AT 09:52PM (MST)[p]Way to go guys! I love the pics. I must ask, where are you from? are you guys Idahoans or from out of state? caus a wolf tag is like 12 bucks.

Hi Five Guys!

J....I tell you what, if the $$$$ are the problem for you to have a wolf tag in your pocket, I'll buy you one if you'll fill it. PM me & I'll send you the $ 11 bucks.

Again, great job guys

Thanks guys!

And no its not the $12 that was the problem its the hunting license. My tags expired Dec31 and I can't buy my 2012 license yet. My hunting pard is from Lewiston, I recently moved up to E. Washington and don't think I'll be able to hunt ID as a resident this fall so I didn't want to cross any lines by buying a resident '12 ID license now then later this year buy a WA '12 resident license if that makes sense? Going to try and purchase my lifetime before I have to transfer my residency but don't have the $ right now. Savvy?

Mike

savvy. I figured it would be something like that. get that lifetime!

What a beautiful animal. Wish you could have taken out the rest of them that you saw. When I read that you didn't have the funds I was all over sending you the money to get tags. I just moved to Idaho from the Hamilton, MT and understand 100% how important it is to control these beasts. Good job on harvesting a great looking wolf.

Great job. beautiful dog. Now go back out and shoot 50 more..

"I hate being bi-polar.....Its awesome"

Hunting pard is heading out again this weekend with another friend for a day hunt. Lets hope they get another one! We got a trip planned for sometime in March to head up by Avery on snowmobiles to chase some down!

Mike

Nice job and great wolf. A wolf hunt is definitely on my list of hunts in the next few years. Are must of you guys shooting wolves getting them mounted? If so please post some pictures.

Bill

Thanks all, they didn't have any luck last weekend but we're heading back up next weekend to try it again! Will be trying an area up by Avery so if you have any tips on recent sitings I'd appreciate it!

Mike

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom