Lost 2 Elk 2 Deer and 5 Antelope plus more

U

UThunting

Well a couple weekends ago I went out in the garaqe to find that my deep freeze was not working and all the meat was defrosted and warm I started to clean it out and throw the meat away but started thinking I could atleast get ahold of my insurance company or boil and feed it to my dogs well the insurance company said I would need to place a value on the meat and I have no Idea of how to do this has anyone ever had this problam

I have been sick over this crap for 2 weeks and could use any help on this matter thanks

UThunting
Clynt L Citte
Willard Ut

I have always donated excess game meat to our local Special Services organization. They have volunteer butchers who will cut/wrap or grind meat for low income family distribution. They almost always give me a receipt for $1.50/lb. donation to use for tax purposes. It would be worth a try with your insurance company.

I have never had this problem however I do happen to practice insurance law(I am an attorney). I suspect your policy allows for the fair market value of the destroyed property. Unfortunately I do not think you will be able to find a ready market to determine what the value of wild game is because you probably can not legally market wild game. If it were me I would figure out the total pounds of meat you had, example 20 lbs. steak, 30 lbls roasts, 25lbs sausage etc then go to the market a figure what the cost per lb is for the various items for beef or as best you can related meats and submit an estimate based on that. I suppose you might be able to contact some fancy resturant that may actually serve wild game and figure what they pay for such such things but I bet that would be really be involved and your insurance company may contest that method to the point it wouuld not be worth the effort. At least that is my 2 cents worth on this matter. Good luck Jim

I see on the internet there is a lot of places that you can purchase wild game but I know as soon as I send in the info from those places my insurance company will crap and contest it like you say but how else would I do it

UThunting
Clynt L Citte
Willard Ut

As I stated you have 2 ways to proceed one is more simple, just using market beef prices, the other will be more time consuming and difficult to persuade an insurer. For me I would pursue the more simple method. At least I would start with that method and see what response you get from your insurer. good luck Jim

I had the same thing happen to me a few years ago. Called the insurance company...they asked about value...I told them the only thing I could think of was the cost to purchase the elk meat from a game farm. They agreed....asked me to send them some quotes. Two weeks later I had a check. Sadly, they could not replace the memories.

One thing to also keep in mind is that Insurance companies always seem to have a way of getting their $ back. If the total claim however you claculate it is not that much I would think twice before making a claim because the Insurer will more than get the $ back by way of years of increased premiums because you made a claim. Just something to keep in mind. Jim

Sorry to hear Clynt.Had the same thing happen but as smart as I am I never thought about insurance.So now I have my dermestid beetles living in the freezer.

P.S. What you doing with the freezer now?lol MULEYZ

Clynt,

Hate to hear about this loss, man you sure have a problem loosing game meat. Either it is an Airline Co. or old freezer, sure hope that you can get something back from Ins. Co.
MIght be hind sight, but in the future keep your eyes and ears open and that the freezer is working.

Brian

CLYNT!!!

I THINK THIS IS SOMETHING WE ALL FEAR!!!

NO DOUBT,IT'S GOING TO HAPPEN WITH A FULL FREEZER NEARLY EVERY TIME!!!

HOW THE HELL DO YOU PUT A PRICE ON WILD MEAT???

I KEEP HEARING GUY'S SAY THEY GO HUNTING CAUSE THEY NEED THE MEAT,LOL!!!

DON'T EVER ADD UP WHAT WILD MEAT COSTS & IF YOU DO DON'T EVER TELL THE MS. OR AN INSURANCE CO.!!!

AS STATED IN POST # 6 THESE GREEDY BASTARDS WILL FIND A WAY TO GET THEIR MONEY BACK & THEN SOME IF YOU MAKE A CLAIM!!!

WE ALL BUY INSURANCE & IT'S RIGHT TO THE POINT WE DON'T DARE MAKE EVEN A SMALL CLAIM,SOMEBODY OUGHT TO INVESTIGATE THESE THIEFS!!!

NEW FREEZERS AIN'T NEAR AS GOOD AS OLD FREEZERS,ONE MORE THING TO WORRY ABOUT!!!

THE ONLY bobcat THINKING THATS NOT A VERY NICE WAY TO DISPOSE OF ANTELOPE MEAT,JUST KIDDING!!!

Legally in Utah you have to have the tag with the meat in your freezer.

So the value to replace it or loss would be the tag amount $$$ plus if you still have the butcher recipt of what it cost to cut and wrap it would be helpful.

Get that list of tag fees and butcher fees and give it to them.

Travel to harvest and hotel/food, I never got a check to cover those 'incidentals' when my old freezer quit, mid summer.... out in the garage.

I got plenty of elk and deer and antelope if ya want a couple packs of each...??

Man that sucks! That is alot of meat, you must of been storing some for others as well.

hunterrunningfrombearlgclr5ju.gif

It all sounds like fair advice. A meat market I buy some things at sells elk and it is more expensive than beef. Due to the requirements of obtaining the animals and licensing. They are able to sell "wild" game if it is raised. My 2 cents.
For amusement, as I was reading the posts on this, some thoughts that went through my mind: must be dang big freezer to hold 2 elk, 2 deer and 5 speedgoats... secondly, the only "good" lawyer, is a "huntin" lawyer...LOL. Just for laughs, no harm intended. Thanks.

Tags have nothing do do with it. The cost of acquiring game meat; tags, travel, equipment, time off work, bullets etc are all irrelevant. The meat is just property with a value. The question is its value as it sits in your freezer. A fisherman with a freezer full of halibut that goes bad can't ask for the cost of his alaskan fishing vacation and fishing gear when halibut can be replaced at Safeway for $x/pound.

Cabelas has a section for farm raised game meat sales: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...meat&noImage=0&returnPage=search-results1.jsp

A google will turn up many others. They aren't "wild" but that factor is not insurable either unless there is a viable market in truly wild (non farm raised) game. Most personal property contracts are replacement cost and "new for used". If you can identify a ready source for meat of the same species at one or more sources you should be able to either have the meat purchased for replacement OR receive cash. Thing is that most contracts also state that if you don't replace the product where it's possible to do so that you only receive actual cash value of the loss, rather than market pricing. ACV would depreciate your loss for, time in the freezer, lack of a resale market and other factors. You cold receive as little as 60% of value in many cases if you chose NOT to replace the lost property.

There's lots of holes where you come up short in your contract, but no one ever reads the contract so there you go.

I always keep my beer in the same fridge as my wild game. I get in there almost every day. if the beers worm I need to look up top. That really sucks.

NVMDF

WOW

THANKS ALL

I will look over all these posts and see what will work best in my case I would like to say some of this was old meat or someones other then mine and the wifes but all where from the 2005 season (as we had a hell of a year) and I would like to blame it on the frezzer but it was bought just because of all the animals we harvested this year and was brand new in augaust of 05 and was the largest freezer we could find and we had other meat from the 04 season it has really made me upset about the whole thing the garage has what a I guess they call GFI plugs for safty but not really that smart for a deep freezer I figure I will count out all we had as far as burger roast and steaks and get a copy from some game farm of costs and turn it in

Thanks again

UThunting
Clynt L Citte
Willard Ut

PS
NVMDF2
I might look into your idea but I will need to start liking beer and that might take some time LOL

Also I would haffta agree in a lot of casses Insurance sucks but in a case like this I feel I pay the fees for it so I should not be scared to use it

Wormy beer? Must be that mexican beer made out of cactus.

If you purchased the freezer in August you may be able to get something from the store you purchased it from. You may have already talked to them. If not, it is worth a try.

wow that is a big freezer. I feel your pain. The deal with the insurance company is right. They will raise your rates. Probably have a nice deductible about $500 to pay 1st that they'll substract from the total amount. I know the meat is worth way more than that but what's left over isn't really worth the rates going up. I've had to do it before & just chalk it up as a loss. I know it sucks man.

I would be leary of filing a claim as well. My insurance agent told me that down here in Phoenix they are having a problem getting insurance on homes that have too many claims. If you try to sell your home the new buyer can get hit with a high rate even though the claim had nothing to do with the quality of your home. I ran into this when my truck was stolen and I filed a claim on my homeowners insurance for the contents that were not covered by the auto insurance. This might be a AZ problem but worth looking in to.

Chris Denham

Chris, I'm an insurance agent. What has happened is that insurers were getting bled to death on their homeowners products because the coverage was far too broad, deductibles to low and no penalty existed to filing claims. Admitedly there was poor underwriting as well. They simply have now applied Auto insurance logic to homeowners insurance. Everyone knows if you get a ticket or an accident your rates may increase. Same is true in home now. The "average" homeowner has a cliam ever 14 years or so. So anyone with even 1 in 5 years is ahead of the curve and will pay more, 2 claims and you may pay a LOT more or in many cases, not be offered insurance in preferred markets at all.

A C.L.U.E. report will tell you about losses that have happened for both an individual and or a location. Losses at a location rarely affect the new buyer if they weren't related to the structure itslef. Most carriers are looking for prior water damage claims that may lead to other future sources of loss, mold, rot, collapse etc. You are correct though, you can be penalized for a loss at a home you buy even though it was not your loss.

The issue is not localized any longer. Home insurance is rated by; creit, your losses, the location's losses, age, renovation or update, zip code and fire protection among other things.

General advice, do a CBA. Just assume a 20% increase in your rates for your home after a claim. Multiply that 20% by 5 times this years premiums and you'll come up with a number. If that number is close to the amount of your loss after you pay your deductible, eat the loss and don't file it. Now your rates might not go up or might go up 50% all companies are different, there's no pat answer. If you have an agent you can have a hypothetical discussion about your company and the likely reaction. If you buy direct, where you have an 800 # and no agent... do NOT call them, they won't do what if's it's either a claim or it isn't.

For the most part HO insurance has become a catastrophe product, the days of filing a claim over stolen fishing equipment are gone.

THIS IS WHAT I LIKE ABOUT RIP-OFF INSURANCE COMPANIES!!!

1 CLAIM IN 14 YEARS AVERAGE!!!

SO LETS SAY JOE BLOW HAS 2 CLAIMS IN 5 YEARS,IMMEDIATELY THESE CHICKEN INSURANCE COMPANIES PUTS JOE BLOW IN A HIGH RISK CLASS,THATS BULL CRAP!!!

EVEN THOUGH JOE COULD GO ANOTHER 9 YEARS & NEVER HAVE ANOTHER CLAIM!!!

AVERAGE MY TAIL,THEY ARE THIEVING FROM US EVERY DAY AND FROM EVERY ONE OF US BECAUSE A FEW AIN'T PLAYING FAIR!!!

I THINK IT OUGHT TO BE BASED ON PERSONAL AVERAGES,NOT SOMEBODY ELSES!!!

THESE INSURANCE COMPANIES ARE GETTING WORSE BY THE DAY!!!

I'VE SEEN THEM WASTE MORE MONEY ON INVESTIGATIONS, BY FAR MORE THAN THE CLAIM WAS!!!

YOU'D BETTER MAKE YOUR INSURANCE PREMIUMS ON TIME,BUT WHEN A CLAIM ROLLS AROUND THEY TAKE THEIR SWEET ARSE TIME!!!

THERE IS A GUY FROM MANTI,A MM MEMBER,I DON'T RECALL HIS NAME,I BELIEVE HE'S A HOUND DOGGER,HE HAD A CLAIM,WEATHER RIPPED THE HELL OUT OF HIS HOUSE,HE FOUGHT THEM FOR A LONG TIME,THEY USED EVERY EXCUSE IN THE BOOK & THEN SOME,THE LAST I HEARD THEY WERE SETTLING BUT IT WENT ON & ON FOR MANY MANY MONTHS!!!

YOU MIGHT SAY I'VE GOT AN ATTITUDE WITH THIEFS,I MEAN INSURANCE COMPANIES,YOU'RE RIGHT,I'VE SEEN TOO MANY FRIENDS GET TOTALY SCREWED BY INSURANCE COMPANIES!!!

THE ONLY bobcat HOPEING CLINTE IS NOT ANOTHER VICTIM OF AN UN-WANTED SCREWING,BY THE WAY CLINTE,I'VE GOT AN ELK STEAK FOR YOU!!!

Thanks all

I am starting to get sicker over this as I pay my insurance what they want so that when somthing like this happens and now it looks like the smart thing to do is just take it in the rear

Some have mentioned that I should go after the store that sold me the frezzer but it was not a problam with the freezer it was a GFI that popped in the garage you know if the insurance companys dont want to insure things like this they should write it in the policy but I should not need to pay the rip-off costs that they want for insurance its like the insurance company figures if you put out $5000 in insurance costs you can have a claim for $2000 Hmmm sound like a scam dont it ???

UThunting
Clynt L Citte
Willard UT

The only hunter thinking maybe it would be best just to take you all up on your offers of game meat

Sorry to hear the bad news . I had the exact same thing happen this past summer in our new house . I called the builder , they sent some one over and saw the freezer him self and said he would handle it . We recieved $250.00 in gift cards to Albetsons and 5 $10 gas cards for Shell for the inconvienence. I did loose what little we did have left of elk meat , but atleast they made good . I know what your saying about the insurance though , we pay em every month , but when we need to have use of the servide/protection we pay for , we're penalized or put on the back burner . ....Again sorry to hear of your mis fortune.....NMHUNTNUTT

I know they sell battery operated units that are basically a thermometer with an alarm to go off if the temp gets above 0 or 5 or so. Don't know how effective they are.

Ethically right or wrong, as a matter of fact I have to agree with Corvile's post above. I too look at my Homeowners insurance as protection against a castrophic event. Small claim, I would not look to my insurance to pay because they would just get it back and more in increased premiums. In fact in Ca. you make a claim and many top rated insurers refuse to renew you and you end up having to pay more to find replacement coverage with a lower rated insurance company. Anyway I just think it is the way it goes now.

I had a similar incident where after a house fire, the electrician unplugged my freezer to plug in his drill, he left the freezer unplugged! Could of shot him! I checked with the local shops who sold farmed elk and deer and doubles the price, I told the insurance company it was either that or I'd charge them the price it cost me to harvest and process the game which is much more expensive then buying it! Tag cost, gas cost, equipment costs, wear and tear on vechile, cost of lost income while hunting, they agreed to pay the cost I set!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom