Poached near HFAB need info

rutnbuck

Long Time Member
Yesterday in Layton near HFAB. My son found a 2x2 buck that had been shot last fall. It was mostly bones however it had a arrow still stuck in the bones. Not sure if it run off and died or it was just left. He turned it in to the DWR. The thing of it is this is a no hunting area. Any info on this? I know it is not much to go on. But some one might know!!

rut

LAST EDITED ON Apr-02-06 AT 03:44PM (MST)[p]Keep in mind that Hill AFB does have a Deer hunt season. It is archery only and runs during the Extended Archery season. It's listed in the Utah Regs under the extended Wasatch desc. People are limited to the areas and times they can hunt (i.e. weekends). It was put in place to help keep deer off the runway. Those are expensive jets. :) Might have been related to this hunt and the deer died off the base?

You might want to report it to the Natural Resources manager there as well. I know him, if you want, send me a PM and I'll pass on the info regarding where your son found it, etc. The DWR might be notifying him anyway or already.

www.hafbdeerhunt.com

ODDNUT1
Kirt C.
Hunt Odds.com

Thanks Kirt
I am not going to assume one way or the other! But would have a tendency to believe otherwise. It was quite a ways from the base. And since we have had so many problems with poachers. Jeff with the No. D.W.R. has the info.
There is or was a great 6x6 I have been watching this winter and I hope he didn't get on the base cause they will use excessive force on him. But I haven't seen him for a while now.
My thoughts some one poached him.
I see the F-22's Raptors flying now!! Don't they have deer dodge radar? Maybe the F-16 that went down ran over the 6x6.
$40 million a jet ya would think we could afford to keep a deer off the runway.
We use to hunt this area on the extended archery. But we had so much poaching; trespass problems the D.W.R. took it out of the extended archery boundaries a few years back. I am not sure about HAFB.

Rut

Very true, no assumptions on my end either. Just didn't know if you knew of the hunt, etc. If it was poaching, I hope the find whoever did it.

ODDNUT1
Kirt C.
Hunt Odds.com

My wife works at the base and told me about the hunt also.I had never heard of it.Why do guys always assume the worse?

Wasn't the hunt at Hill AFB only a one year deal? I think they did it in 2004 and have not done it again since.

It was ran in 2005 as well and is on tap for 2006. In 2005, they did more doe tags and more people on HAFB applied (preference goes to them first, etc).

ODDNUT1
Kirt C.
Hunt Odds.com

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom