Pointers for unit 10

O

oneeyewilly

Hello all.

I hadn't even bothered to look online to see if I drew because I only put in for units 10 and 9 and didn't expect anything. Well to my suprise there was an envelope from AZGFD in my mail and what do you know, "Its better to be lucky then smart" I drew out for unit 10 archery, 9/10 through 9/23.

I did not expect this at all and therefor have not prepaired at all. I was wondering if you guys would send some help my way.

5617az_bull_2007_108.jpg

7883bull.jpg

I have a little experience, but not too much. I helped my father Dion Laney as one of his callers in 2007 take down this bull. Gross was 409 4/8 and net P&Y was 402 6/8. This was a fair chase bull in a non trophy unit in Arizona. Our motto on that hunt was "You can sleep when you are dead", LOL, it was a great hunt!

Anyway, could use some help, so pm me when you have a min.

Thanks

Michael

LOL, true, but I knew that area really well. I was trying to get across that I don't know unit 10 at all and will be starting fresh. Any help would be great!

I hate to say it because I know guys that have been putting in for years in these units. So don't get mad, like I said its better to be lucky then smart. I only had 1 point. I am a 10 year Arizona resident.

I have drawn out one other time in this state but it wasn't in a "trophy" unit. But it did produce that 402 6/8 bull! The bull I shot 2 years before in that area was just under 300. My brother in law Gary, shot a 330 bull in that same unit the year my father shot his.

Get a map from G&F and get out there and learn the roads. Find which tanks have water. Climb some of the higher points and glass to. You can see a long ways from many of those points to help see what the elk are doing.

Looks like you can just wander around and develope some bad luck!

Just kidding.

Unit 10... flin... spin...I don't hunt there either, but I can tell you this.

Park your truck... walk 3 miles and listen... they'll be everywhere.

Start out at water and follow them or ambush them on their way to bedding areas... Take nap, wake up and repeat as they head back to feeding area.

Prepare to cover lots of ground.

What they do one day... wont be what they do the next day. If you don't hear elk... They aren't being sneaky... They aren't there!

MOVE to new AREA.

Just tell'en ya in case you forgot since we last hunted AZ three years ago.

Midnight (Brother-in-law)

Actually... the more I think about it... turn in your tag and get back in line!

Take up duck hunting.

better yet... melt your bow down to make jewelry. One less tag is one more opportunity for me!

No friend and Family during drawing season... afterwards we can make up and yes... I'll film your hunt.

Please do not let others know where we camp in fear of egging or bullet holes in the camper.

Maybe we need to ask...who do you know in the AZF&GD?

LUCKY SON OF A GUN.

MIDNIGHT
(complainer)................................honestly I can wait!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom