Unsold Colorado landowner tags?

Craig

Very Active Member
What happens to all the landowner tags that do not sell? does the landowner just let then go to waist? Does the state take them back? Just wondering. Hunting season is getting close and I still see a lot of tags for sale.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-21-09 AT 02:06AM (MST)[p]In Colordo am pretty sure their charged a fee of like $40.00 per buck or either sex tag not used. Most landowners will get the price they are asking or let it go to waste before dropping the price to much.

Just the way it is.

THE LORD IS MY ROCK
Colorado, U.S.A
NRA LIFE MEMBER
www.elkhuntersports.com

I think there are quite a lot of them that go unused, usually in lesser areas...many archery vouchers. The better vouchers I think are usually used by someone. I would bet there are always a number of vouchers that don't sale that locals (friends of the landowners) end up getting their hands on very cheap (or free) right before the hunts.

Because the landowners are supposed to allow the purchaser to hunt on their land, I think a lot of landowners would rather burn the vouchers they draw than sale them cheap to people they don't know.
You need to remember that a landowner only needs 160 acres to qualify, and I think that, and maybe a touch more acreage, is what most of them have. If their house is sitting inside that 1 square mile, many of them are too scared to let people they don't know hunt that close to their homes. Can you blame them for being nervous? The guys who have a lot of land, usually have the land leased or offer private land hunts themselves, therefore they want top dollar because they need to let the buyer hunt the private ranch.

I think forcing landowners to allow people to hunt their land is one of the many reasons why the price of vouchers have increased so much over the past few years. Of course, demand, hype, fewer vouchers and fewer public tags have also driven prices up.

The state does not get the vouchers (tags) back. Once the landowner draws them, they can sale, use, or burn the vouchers. That is why they began charging landowners $40.00 for leftover vouchers a couple of years ago, because a huge percentage were going unused. Landowners would draw them and they would never get used. It's still happening.
In my opinion, CDOW should probably put in play a rule that either the voucher be used or returned for public use or the landowner pays hundreds of dollars to CDOW for the voucher. Maybe then there would be very few vouchers being burned each year.
$40.00 just doesn't stop landowners from drawing 5, 6 or more archery vouchers in some units and then burning them because no one is willing to pay $500.00+ for them. That is what is happening I think.

But, even after saying all that, I think there are deals to be had, especially if a guy knows a landowner personally and the landowner trusts that you are not going to be sitting on his front porch shooting at deer.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom