UT TAG ALLOCATION

8mmMag

I was wondering if someone could confirm a rumor I was told this week at work. Is the Utah DWR going to change the percentage of tags that are issued out to Residents and NoN-Residents. I was told the number of tags going to the hunters with the most bonus points would increase, below max points would decrease. Any one got any information from a reliable source on this........Thanks!!

>I was wondering if someone could
>confirm a rumor I was
>told this week at work.
>Is the Utah DWR going
>to change the percentage of
>tags that are issued out
>to Residents and NoN-Residents. I
>was told the number of
>tags going to the hunters
>with the most bonus points
>would increase, below max points
>would decrease. Any one got
>any information from a reliable
>source on this........Thanks!!

Sometimes people start rumors in the hopes that they will take root! This must be one of those times and one of those rumors.

>>I was wondering if someone could
>>confirm a rumor I was
>>told this week at work.
>>Is the Utah DWR going
>>to change the percentage of
>>tags that are issued out
>>to Residents and NoN-Residents. I
>>was told the number of
>>tags going to the hunters
>>with the most bonus points
>>would increase, below max points
>>would decrease. Any one got
>>any information from a reliable
>>source on this........Thanks!!
>
>Sometimes people start rumors in the
>hopes that they will take
>root! This must be one
>of those times and one
>of those rumors.

I can assure you I am not trying to start a rumor. I just wanted to ask a group of hunters that might have information on this question. Many hunters on this sight know RAC members, Board members, SFW Officers, or CWMU Operators.

>>>I was wondering if someone could
>>>confirm a rumor I was
>>>told this week at work.
>>>Is the Utah DWR going
>>>to change the percentage of
>>>tags that are issued out
>>>to Residents and NoN-Residents. I
>>>was told the number of
>>>tags going to the hunters
>>>with the most bonus points
>>>would increase, below max points
>>>would decrease. Any one got
>>>any information from a reliable
>>>source on this........Thanks!!
>>
>>Sometimes people start rumors in the
>>hopes that they will take
>>root! This must be one
>>of those times and one
>>of those rumors.
>
>
>I can assure you I am
>not trying to start a
>rumor. I just wanted to
>ask a group of hunters
>that might have information on
>this question. Many hunters on
>this sight know RAC members,
>Board members, SFW Officers, or
>CWMU Operators.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that YOU started this rumor or that this one was for the reason I stated, but obviously, someone started it because it got all the way to you. These issues have not been seriously discussed in any formal meeting that I'm aware of, (which doesn't mean I know the contents of every formal meeting). And apparently, nobody on this forum knows anything either or else we would have heard from them.

Also, it's not likely that the DWR (or Wildlife Board) would make a decision of this magnitude without going through the public process (RAC's and WB) because the bad PR would be overwhelming.

My money's on this being a bad rumor that's better off being put to rest!

I would love it if Utah would change to something like Wyoming or Colorado does. Or even Idaho. Wyoming gives 20% of certain tags to the random drawing instead of 50%, Colorado gives 0%. I feel like the hybrid system is the worst possible scenario.

Everyone waiting in line for permits: fine.
Everyone on equal ground every year with a random drawing: fine.
Throwing out tags to people in the back of the line: worst idea ever.

No matter what happens with the drawing there needs to be some major changes to the waiting periods. Someone who lucks out and draws a tag with 0 points is going to be back in the drawing competing against those who haven't drawn, and could potentially draw twice before his neighbor draws once. A tag that takes 10 points to draw should, at the very least, have a waiting period equal to 10 years minus the number of points you drew with.

Unfortunately I think this is just a rumor though, I have not heard anything about this topic being on the agenda.

I like the hybrid draw Utah has. It gives me a chance at a tag every year I put in without max points!

I think Utah has one of the most fair Bonus Point systems going. Max pt. hunters get tags/as well as they should. Plus hunters with 1 or 2 pts. get a chance to draw a tag. Without hope, we have nothing. But, lets be real here, some hunters are waiting 15-20 years and still don't have a tag. I think many would support the Utah DWR if they changed the allocation percentage to 75/25. After all, If a hunter has waited 15-20 years, they kind of deserve a little better chance to draw a tag. Just a thought......

There are plenty of limited entry hunts that take less than 15-20 years to get. The reason those hunts take longer to get is because they are the best hunts in the state! The problem is everyone wants those tags and there are not enough resources to keep up with the demand. If the Utah DWR changed the tag allocation differential, the exact same amount of tags would be given out for these coveted hunts and in reality it would make it just as hard to get one of these tags.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom