White tail size

Bowhunter05

Hello, in November I will be flying to west Texas for my first white tail hunt. It will be too expensive to have my meat shipped back after processing so I will be taking as much back with me as possible. I have never hunted white tail before so I am unsure the size. What should I expect as far as pounds goes after the deer is processed? I'm sure it won't be as big as a mulie and I will be shooting an 8 point or smaller of that helps.

Your probably looking at about 120# of meat. Bone it out and take home the best cuts of meat. If your hunting place has a freezer ask them to freeze your meat in manageable ziplock bags. Purchase the larger 2 gallon bags and take them with our from home. Some guys freeze meat then throw it in an ice chest. Wrap the chest with duck tape should hold until you get back home. Just check the chest as an extra bag. You will pay extra for weight over 50# check your airlines weight fees for items over 50#. You need to have your name, address written on ice chest take a felt tip marker, pick up ice chest when you leave airport in Texas, Good Luck.
If flght is not to long might get by freezing and wrap in towels stuff in extra suit case might be another option.

))))------->

Usualy each extra bag $25 allows you 49.5 # total weight another way to get more frozen meat home....

))))------->

Thanks alot guys. I will prolly go the ice chest route. I will also have a carry on with hardly anything in it I can put some meat in. The flight is only two hours long and all the meat will be frozen before hand.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-12-17 AT 07:14PM (MST)[p]Texas deer are not that big. An Iowa buck yields 75#.

Take everything but the front shoulders and neck meat and you should be in the 50# or less category.

Good luck on your hunt!

"Courage is being scared to death but
saddling up anyway."

sounds like a management hunt if you know 8point or less. So it will be a mature buck on a managed ranch so I would expect around 200lbs live weight. Take hind quarters and backstraps. You will be right around 50lbs and should all fit in a small cooler like stated above.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Whitetail Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Whitetail Pros Guide Service

Southern Iowa and Missouri Private Land Whitetail Hunts. Rifle, Archery, Muzzleloader.

Antler Creek Whitetails

Archery hunt in Northeast Kansas. Rut and pre-rut, hunting from treestands and blinds.

Back
Top Bottom