11 points what to do?

buckmster28

I started applying for unit 21 over 11 years ago and it seems I may never catch up to the points needed for a 3rd season hunt. My Question is what would some of you do with 11 nonresident points. I am willing to try anything from a early high country hunt to a 3rd or even 4th season hunt. I am of course looking for my best chance at a monster on public land. I just dont want to waste my points on ok hunt or one where you will see a ton of 150-170 inch deer. I have only hunted colorado a couple of times and dont know the units very well so any help is appreciated. Dont mind working for it doesnt have to be a hunt where I can drive around and shoot one out the window. If I need to wait a few more years I will just trying to see what others would do in this situation. Thanks for any input.

Shouldn't make much of a difference in that unit. If it doesn't snow there won't be any difference between the two seasons and there are plenty of bucks in that unit.

I
>just dont want to waste
>my points on ok hunt
>or one where you will
>see a ton of 150-170
>inch deer.

Thats what is there,,, alot of 150 to 170 inchers.. There are some 180+ bucks but they are harder to find.... Here's the thing though , in 2010 the 2nd season will be a full week later than last year because of calender roll over... In that situation , I don't think there will be a dimes worth of differance in 2nd and 3rd this fall...

Is it worth waiting this long ??? I seriously doubt it , but you'll have a tough time finding a better place to spend that many points on.

If I'm in your boots , I swallow hard and draw 2nd season this fall and make the most of it.

Thanks for the input. I was actually thinking of doing just that, but was also thinking of maybe another unit third season. I know 2nd season is late this year and that should make it better, just dont know if the rut would get going by then or not. Its a gamble either way, just really dont want to wait a bunch more years for 21 3rd season as colorado has alot of good hunts taking only a few points to draw. I feel like I am missing out on some good opprotunities as I wait. Having never been to 21 second season I am a little concerned.

You'll be into a ton of bucks 2nd season this year--lots of them will be the 150--170 but then again you might encounter a 200" deer too! You won't be disappointed in it.

Im in the same boat as a resident. I have been waiting for 9 years to draw 21-3rd season. If I draw 2nd season I will eat about 3 points and am not sure the rut will be going yet. I have 9 resident points and am right on the bubble for 3rd. I too have never been to 21. I dont care to much about the score but want to get as close to that 30 inch mark as possible. What to do??

Oldmossback if I were in your position I would stick to my guns with 21 3rd. 2nd should be good this year but the 3rd should be awsome! You are right there and even with the point creep if you don't get it this year, next years dates are only one day earlier. But with the second season going to 10/31 this year if I was in the same spot the original poster is, 3 points or so behind, I think I would go ahead and put in for the 2nd. From my experience around that unit the rutting will not be going on yet, but there should have been some snow by the last of the season, and the deer will be out.

Well it seems most of you would burn the points this year. Let me ask you this for those of you that know bothy areas, would you rather hunt unit 21 second season or 30 third season?

>Well it seems most of you
>would burn the points this
>year. Let me ask you
>this for those of you
>that know bothy areas, would
>you rather hunt unit 21
>second season or 30 third
>season?

21 2nd season... No CONTEST In my opinion...

No I do not think points buy big bucks. They do however buy you a chance at a well managed not overhunted good genetics area to hunt. I hunt public land otc units every year, sometimes that can be dissapointing.

>No I do not think points
>buy big bucks. They do
>however buy you a chance
>at a well managed not
>overhunted good genetics area to
>hunt. I hunt public land
>otc units every year, sometimes
>that can be dissapointing.

Just so you know, elk is OTC in this area and there are a ton of elk hunters running around. SO, there will be a lot of people around.

been there third season myself hunting elk.dont really think that pressure is going to hurt you much.just my 2c's
simo

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom