13B Antelope

T

trathner

I drew a 13B AZ Antelope tag. Anybody know anything about the antelope there? Where, quality etc?

TR

It's been awhile since I hunted up there....is 13b the eastern side of the unit?? If so I could probably help you out.

It is the West side of the unit. West of Hurrican Cliffs. A straight shot South of St George Utah.

TR

Yeah, I checked my regulation map....I hunted 13a. As far as quality I would imagine the units would be close. I killed a buck with 16" horns but he had broke off one of his paddles. I talked with a G&F guy that was hunting my unit and he said there were a few that would make B&C but they tend to be around the 15-16 inch mark with lots of mass. I did see an unusual trend of bucks with very wide spreads....one of them layed out almost flat.
Good luck. Sorry I couldn't help you out with some specific areas.

Due to the high mineral content in the soil, unit 13b produces trophy antelope like they do mule deer. The highest concentration of antelope in unit 13b are in the lower Hurricane Valley area. Also, don't overlook upper hurricane valley. If you hold out and be patient, you should see some 80 b and c point bucks. By the way, are you a resident or non-resident? How many bonus points did you have when you drew?

I am a resident (from Tucson) and had 5 bonus points. I have been studying the area since my first post on this subject right after the draw. It seems the new potential #1 B&C buck was taken there last year. I am really looking forward to it. I'd love to kill an 80 incher but I would be happy just to take a good mature buck.

TR

It was 13B, but I wouldn't expect to see any other's like that. Last year there were 3 other bucks that would have just made the 80 inch mark. The WR was transplanted there in 2000, so hopefully he had some kids.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom