16c

Thomas11

Hey guys, new to forum. I'm from Alabama. Drew a 16c archery elk sec season. Trying to find a starting point on this unit? Don't know a lot about it? Any help would b much appreciated. Also, wondering how it compares to other gila units, as well as accessibility? I will b camping DIY. Thanks!

We have put a lot of info on here about that unit. Just do a search. But then I would have done that before I put in for it. Doesn't compare to 15, 16a or 16D at all. There have been big elk taken from there, but not a consistent producer of large elk. Not as many elk either. Compares more to 16e as far as numbers and size. Access is paved road through truth or consequences. It is still remote, but camping can be done just about anywhere, lots of public land and plenty of campsites. Some private in the North, North east of the Unit. Would not consider it a trophy hunt, even if you have a ton of scouting time. 2nd archery can be decent depending on the weather. Success rates on the hunt for the last 3-5 years as published per the fish and game, don't lie. Take a look at those, so you have a realistic picture of what you are up against, so you can enjoy the hunt for what it is.

T

Also I looked at harvest reports. They were not so good last yr for all gila units but previous yr was double that across the board. Any reason for this and any predictions for this year? Also I have ordered maps and waiting on them. My understanding of unit is there are roads all throughout unit but is there a partiular area that is more remote than others? Thanks for any info!

technically black mountain is tougher to get into, but in the end it isn't really more remote than anywhere else, outfitters us horses into there. Don't worry you won't likely have problems hunting on top of people. The unit is plenty big.

I was just there last week for turkey and saw more elk than I have seen there in the 13 turkey seasons I have camped in 16c.

Cory

I don't personally put in for that unit (I hunt next door - better draw odds), but it is a top end unit if you know where to go. A buddy of mine consistently pulls out 350"+ bulls when he draws tags. His kid has taken 4 over 350" on the youth hunt. I'll PM you some hints.

I got drawn for 16C also, third archery season. It's a little dissapointing to hear that the sucess rate and quality is down. From what I hear, some rain is badly needed to help the situation. Maybe the drought will break this year, and things will return to "normal". Good luck on your hunt! Which hunt did you draw? I hear the 1st hunt can be really hot.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom