2010 Elk with 11 NR pts

bogey

Hi, I will have 11 pts for the 2010 draw, I plan on bow hunting and was just looking to get ideas for units to apply for. With my points starting to get up there what units would you try to draw? Would you wait a few more years for any other particular units, or push to a different weapon? Any other thoughts or ideas would be great.
Thanks

I doubt that without max points, you would be able to draw archery bull in units 1, 9, 10, 3ac as a nonresident.

The 20% pass report will let you know how many BPs were needed to be in the top group. This is what I would base my application on if I were a nonresident.
http://www.azgfd.gov/eservices/docu...onusPointReport-BonusPassbyHuntNumber_000.pdf

This report give the draw for 1st and 2nd choice with 20% pass results added in.
http://www.azgfd.gov/eservices/docu...-BonusPointReport-1-2PassbyHuntNumber_000.pdf

The hunt numbers are from the 2009 season/regs.

Here is an explanation of the reports and what the columns mean
http://www.azgfd.gov/eservices/BonusPointProcess.shtml

InnerBasinPano2-copy.jpg

If you are looking for a good hunt experience and a chance for a big bull, you don't necessarly have to have a 3c, 9 or 10 tag. There are several other units with better draw odds that have lots of elk and trophy potential. Send me a PM and I can give you more specifics if interested.

It does not matter that your a nonresident. your high a enough in the bonus pass for some good units . Put in for unit 10 and you will draw an archery early hunt!!!

I'd rather be blessed anyday than be good!!!!SirRoyal

I suggest you do the hunter safty course and get the extra pt and apply for the best units if you have not done it. There should be one coming up. Combine it with a archery whitetail hunt. I did the one last Dec and there were a few guys with 15 pts getting into the next pt bracket. You waited 11 years, so what is another couple years to get the hunt of a lifetime. Thats my take.

That point total is with the hunters ED class i will be taking in January. Thanks for the help keep it coming! I know I have time just having some fun(and stress) figuring out what or if I can draw.

bogey if your going in January i guess i"ll see you there.I just signed up that will put me at 12 points.

If you are taking the class in January to get your hunter ed point, I doubt you will have the point in time for the 2010 draw. I would call G&F and ask for Cissie in the draw dept to confirm though. I know two of my children took the class before the draw, yet the points were not used for that draw. When I called and asked about it, they said they only update the bonus point system periodically. The guy I talked to said we needed to have the class completed aprox. 2 months before the draw deadline.

I hope I'm wrong for your sake but I would hate for you to apply for hunt because you think you are now in the 20% pass of a particular hunt.

BTW. If I were you, I would wait another 3-5 years and draw a unit 9 archery tag. Most residents of this state will never draw this tag (me included) and you are only 3-5 years away. Sure, there are great bulls in all units but there is a real drop off after unit 9 as far as quality and Quantity. You also get to hunt with bull hunters only no cow hunters. The quality of the hunt, elk, and unit would truly make this a once in a lifetime experience. Remember, G&F manages this unit for BIG elk to be taken. 3A/C would be a second choice if I had to put down two choices.

Good Luck on whatever you decide

In past years, those attending the January class had the point in time for the elk/antelope draw, and those in the April class had the point for the later draw.

IF you take the January class, I GUARANTEE that you'll have the point for the antelope/elk draw, though you won't see it immediately on your online bonus point report.

Same with the April NR class we teach.

I get the paperwork back to Phoenix within a week of the class and they have someone input that information into the computer.

Believe me, taking the class will be worth your time. In 2009, my team and I taught TWO NR classes, and just from what I heard, there were five of those attendees who ended up drawing a premier tag for deer, antelope or elk.

Yep, if you want to increase your odds in drawing a tag (for deer as a NR you MUST be in the max bonus point pool if you are trying for a premier tag in units 13B, 12A East or west (Late), 12B (late) or 13A.)

Sorry, but that's how it works out..

See you in January. Remember the class is on Arizona time, so make sure you get there on time. Long day (12 hours) but well worth it.

Don Martin
Chief Instructor
AZ Hunter Education
Kingman

My dad drew 12B late with one point less than max. I went down and help him out. Also there were two Ca. hunters we meet that drew that had one point less than max. All three drew with 11 points and max was 12 which is what I had and didn't draw. P.S. he got a 4 X 5 202 buck.

Stickflinger:

I don't know if your dad is a NR or not, but this year, the max bonus point for deer was 13, not 12.

Assuming he is a resident, there is nothing that would prevent him from drawing with less than max. Matter of fact I know a guy in Kingman who had 12 and he drew one of those late tags...plus I heard of a lady who had just a few points, but she was a resident.

I don't have the list of those who drew the LATE 12B tags this year, but I'll go out on a limb and say that most likely a NR would have needed max for that hunt.

For the early tags in 12B, no question a NR with less than max COULD draw...

Yeah, like to see the photos of a 205, that is one heck of a buck, but on the late hunt, entirely possible.

Good luck!

Don Martin
AWO

First off, best of luck bogey.
Also, I can't say enough about Don and his class... Dons info on AZ's draw system was a real eye opener. The guy knows that system inside out and backwards. The class was definatly worth my long drive...nice people, and great topics.
Heck, Don even put a roof over my head for the night, it dosen't get any better. Thanks again.

Thanks for the nice words, don't know if I know the bonus point stuff inside and out or even backwards, but I try to keep up on this, as I know it is extremely important to all sportsmen, but especially non-residents.

I'm not sure I can get that 12B list now--I have to buy the lists and it is a minimum of a $100 for a 1,000 name purchase, but if those guys were NR and drew without maximum points, I'd sure be surprised.

Every year I hear about something like this, and most of the time I have the list to check to verify data.

Bottom line is that in my opinion every bonus point you have will help, but in the end it is only mathematical probabilities and not mathematical certainty's that we are dealing with.

Unless you are in the top group for some tags it is virtually impossible for NR's to draw for some tags ( deer and early rifle elk)in PREMIUM units.

Always glad to meet new folks from around the nation when we do these classes. The January class will be no exception.

OK, heading out to look at a ram in Unit 15D, we bedded him last night, and he looked pretty good, so who knows, we might get one today!

Don Martin

So Don, your saying after the class I will draw a 9 early rifle tag for sure?!! Just kidding of course, see you in about a month.
Thanks for all the info keep it coming.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-12-09 AT 10:36AM (MST)[p]Don he is a non res. you should know him, he helped you out on your turkey hunt in Ut. I took your class last Jan and have max points what ever that is. I know he has one less than me. The two cali. hunter each had the same points as my dad. Tried to post a picture but I can't figure it out. Sorry.

Oh hell!

Yep your dad was the gracious host who assisted on the turkey hunt in Utah where I got that great Rio!

My apology!

Just for giggles I'm going to ask G&F what the max pool in Unit 12B (Late) was this year, might not have been the 13 points..

I'll let you know what I find out..

Don

It turned out to be the best day we've had on the hunt!

We found a canyon that held a lot of sheep , and most of them were rams.

We saw 21 rams yesterday and our hunter got two shots at a old ram that we estimate would score about 165 B&C....Just about the best ram we've seen in the entire 12 days..

Clipped some hair on his back both times, got it all on video, going back out this morning, despite high winds.

Hunting is just like the lottery, you can't win if you don't play!

Later..

Don Martin

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom