2014 DEER

OLDHORNHUNTER

Very Active Member
Just checking too see what everyone that has actually been in the field hunting has been seeing !!! compared to what our F&G people said they were seeing !!! I hunted in 31 sunday the 11th down by the snake river breaks saw about 20 does {NOT A SINGLE BUCK } walked close to 4 miles NEVER saw or crossed another hunter or tracks !! went Saturday to 43 walked close to 8 miles in the same area I have hunted the past 4 years & always see 5 to 10 bucks in this same walk !! saw 15 other hunters One of them shot a forkie !! I saw about 2 dozen does & 1 spindly little 3x3 ... I spoke to 3 others hunters they had NOT seen any bucks I heard 3 shots all day long !! so I ask WHERE did our F&G people see all these DEER earlier in the season ??

LAST EDITED ON Oct-20-14 AT 04:19PM (MST)[p]I have seen a couple nice bucks that snuck out on me, but would be in agreement. More f&g hoopla. Owyhees had tons of deer. Never ever seen as many hunters and huge camps as this year and zero hanging in 39,31,32

I deer hunted 31 for a day and a half and saw about 100 does and 1 forked horn buck. When I was elk hunting 3 weeks earlier I saw 6 bucks but every one of them was a two point. Actually one was a 3 but he was small.

After the first 30 minutes I started rootin for the deer, my god I thought I'd seen over crowding in the past, but opening mourning was scary and really hasn't stopped. If f&g really had counted most deer all-time they took care of that on the first day. Hit a few areas after that with very poor results. And it has been plenty cool where I've been, with some snow for a while.

Hunted all day 10th and morning on 11th won't tell you how many bucks I saw in unit 23 because you wouldn't believe me. Weather was hot but there is no shortage of young bucks out there. Have all next week off hopeful for something big. Went over to Oregon and hunted sled springs unit with my dad first weekend in October in high 70's but he got a deer only his third deer since 1988. Lots of young deer there as well. Praying for weather!

whats funny with people talking how crowded it is...what was it like 10 years ago? All the non resident quotas use to sell out there is thousands of elk and deer tags left!

Hunted first 4 days of the season up in 43, a ton of hunters. Seemed like a lot of doe hunters and can't say that there is enough deer to have that many doe tags in that unit. Saw 8 bucks on day 1, 5 bucks on day 2, 1 buck on day 3, and 0 bucks on day 4. Too warm, bright moon, and a lot of people. Bucks wised up quickly.

People become residents, population is larger, not many non-rez hunters but alot of city dwelling meat heads, and lots of kids still in diapers with a gun in hand!!

Opening weekend at Spencer- atv's going everywhere, cities of camp trailers, not much shooting etc.etc...
What a joke it's almost as bad as Utah. To get away you need horses or really be in top shape.
But it does no good to complain...

LAST EDITED ON Oct-21-14 AT 04:17PM (MST)[p]I guess we were some of the lucky ones. My boy came up from college to get any buck, "starving college student" - he needs the meat. He ended up with this nice buck.

I thought it was the best year I have seen. I laid eyes on several good bucks. Ended up shooting the one in my post "Couple of Big Ole Idaho Bucks". Deer should have been high, all were mid level 6500 -7500'.

www.hunthardcore.com

This year has been a better year than the last few previous. I can count seven friends who hunt mulies... 6 have filled their tags (4 in unit 32 and 2 in 39). The guys in 32 harvested some really nice bucks... no little forkies. My other hunter friend and I went out opening weekend in 39... lots of sign, but I think that bright moon worked against us. Hope to get out this weekend and try it again. On the upside, did run into several elk in the area we want to hunt in November. Hope to find them again.

>I thought it was the best
>year I have seen.
>I laid eyes on several
>good bucks. Ended up
>shooting the one in my
>post "Couple of Big Ole
>Idaho Bucks". Deer should
>have been high, all were
>mid level 6500 -7500'.
>
>www.hunthardcore.com

Seen those deer, those deer don't go high. Those were two bucks that were pushed out of a draw unit that was open for three weeks prior!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom