300 Norma

Weiserbucks

Very Active Member
Just seeing if anyone else is running one. I don't need anything in the way of help , just curious.

If you're in the market for a new cartridge, definitely consider the 300 Norma.

Mostly because I like experimenting with new things, a RUM will outrun a Norma by a small margin .

I think a Norma is a good option for guys who want to load the heavy bullets in a standard mag box.

I like my .300 win mag enough too keep me from wanting to trade up to anything bigger.
Herd good things about the Norma though.
Never shot one and probably won't be likely to, since I have never seen one either.
That's sometimes a down side too have a cartridge that isn't very common.
I can pick up the Winchester magnum ammo just about anywhere if I needed to.
I reload though, and there is tons of load data out there, and powders for the win mag also.
The ultra mag has plenty of followers too.

My buddy "runs" his Chevy Colorado but he shoots a 300 Norma and says it's the bomb. We've got a couple hunts together this year and we'll both be shooting our respective 30 cal mags and I suspect there will be little to no difference....since there isn't any really. His velocities are right on par with my 300 RUM.

Zeke

#livelikezac

If you build it, they will buy it.

The wheel gets reinvented every year in the gun biz. we have 75 new and improved 30 mags that for all practical purposes don't do anything the first few didn't do .

Stay Thirsty My Friends

To a point, 440 is correct.

I look at it this way:
A 30-30 is almost like a 300 Savage
A 300 Sav is almost like a 308
A 308 is almost like a 30-06
A 30-06 is almost like a 300 Win
A 300 Win is almost like a 300 RUM
But a 30-30 isn't almost like a 300 RUM at all.

Everything is incremental and it's those incremental improvement that some of us love to explore because we love guns and love to play with them.

Is there much difference out to 200 yards? Not really. Is there a difference when ranges get on the long side? Of course and that's why we practice, practice, practice and tinker, tinker, tinker.

For the guy who shoots a "box" of ammo per year, most any round will do everything he can do. For the guy who shoots a H-U-G-E BOX of ammo per year, he looks for the little things that make an incremental difference.

Yes, the new 300 Norma possibly has some incremental improvement but with that round there are serious trade-offs with the larger body diameter and the trade-off isn't worth it to me since I'm already set up for something else with identical performance.

Zeke

#livelikezac

I enjoy new cartridge designs and reloading for them . The Norma isn't for everyone but my local private range has targets to 1680 yards and it's very challenging ! I do a lot of long range shooting and the fast , high B.C. bullets definitely have an advantage in that area .

I'm currently building a 300 Norma. DLC coated Defiance action, proof barrel, timney trigger, mcmillan stock, topped with Leupold VX6 scope. I cant wait

))))----------->

>A big .30 isn't for everyone.
>Regardless if it's a RUM,
>Nosler or Norma. mtmuley

So very true.
It takes a real desire to shoot one well because they can be a bit intimidating to some.

Zeke

#livelikezac

The Norma is kinda like the "creedmoor" of magnums. Lots of hype and interest with not much improvement over current offerings. mtmuley

My rifle and my buddy's are built essentially the same in the action, stock and barrel.
His is a 300 Norma with a 28" Proof barrel.
Mine is a 300 RUM with a 26" Proof barrel.
The velocities that we've attained are the same with the same weight bullets which through personal deduction tells me that the 300 RUM might be a "slightly" hotter round. Your results may and will vary since guns are all so very different.

We're sure splitting hairs nowadays.

Zeke

#livelikezac

Zeke, been shooting RUM's since 2000. I am so invested in the cartridge as far as brass and such, don't make sense to change. Besides, not much to gain unless you go Lapua IMP or a Kirby Allen cartridge. mtmuley

Am right there with ya Mtmuley. I have been running the 300RUM for a lotta years. Too much invested in the RUM to switch

Chuck in Boise

I like to have my cake and eat it too...why settle for one when you can have all to enjoy?
I don't have a 300 RUM but I will soon.
))))----------->

>Been experimenting with RUMs for almost
>20 years. I like em.
>mtmuley

no kidding?.....lol

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom