300 ultra mag question

M

millstev

I am thinking about getting 300 ultra mag. I will be using it to hunt mostly deer and elk with it(moose if I ever draw). What kind of ammunition would you recommend and were is the best place to purchase it from? Thanks in advance Steve

I have one of those rascals. Have about a 100 rounds of ammo loaded that it likes, and no use for it whatsoever. It is brutal. It was my sons, and he is 6-4, 240 lbs. ex marine. But it was to much for him. Plus it's a rem sendero. So not light. If some one wanted one, I am wanting to almost gift it away... Dies, brass, retumbo included. No scope. Shoots fine and dandy.

I have one, and it kicks like a damn mule. I love it for hunting, I've taken quite a few animals with it , but Its a chore shooting paper targets with. The rifle has provided me and some of my close friends some good laughs though, usually when we take a new friend or guy from work to the range and watch them shoot it the first time LOL!

I would not recommend any bullet. Each gun is different, and will like one round but not another. Mine hates 180 grain bullets for some reason, but shoots 150's and 200' grains just fine.

I buy factory loads. www.cheaperthandirt.com

Definitely not a range gun! Mine likes 180 grain Partitions with RL 25 powder. I have to use a Lead Sled to tolerate it at the range cause it just kicks my trash.
if your looking to get one balance the recoil with the ballistics. Somethings going to give.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-07-14 AT 05:43PM (MST)[p]i didnt like mine until i put a muzzle brake on it. afterword, its recoil is on par w/ a .30-06 or .270, i can run a box of shells through it with no problem. IMO you need to deal with the recoil to realize the potential of the cartridge. After that hurdle (muzzle brake installation), the case has enough energy to push any bullet on the market. this lets you step up to the 200 and 210g bergers, nosler accubond, and accubond LRs and utilize the associated high BCs. i get groups at 500-700 yards that are just plain awesome (sub moa). ive taken 4 bulls, a bear, a couple deer so far w/ no issues. i broke a spike bull's back at 600 yards a few years ago and my personal best is a 1 shot kill on a jack rabbit at 500 yards. remington 700XCR. the one down side of the muzzle brake is the increased noise. i do think ive noticed some hearing loss from hunting with it over as little as 5 seasons.
210g bergers and a rum are definately a 700yardish combination. i think the hunting shack loads them for retail if you dont reload.

If I had to sum up my thoughts on my .300 UM it would be almost word for word what lip_curl said. Muzzle break is a must; the extra noise is worth taking that much kick out of it. Great shooting rifle! Find the combo that your gun likes and start shootin'.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom