300WSM

HoofsUp

LAST EDITED ON Oct-31-03 AT 10:01PM (MST)[p]I shoot a 300WSM for Elk and Deer. I currently use 150gr for deer and 180gr for elk. I would like to be able to shoot both loads without having to sight in each time. Does anyone know of a formula/calculation to calculate the different trajectories? or am I just going to have to shoot both loads at the range and record my adjustment? Second option would be to shoot 180's for both deer and elk, would the 180's be too much for deer? Thanks in advance for any info.

Shoot 180's for both. I used to do the same thing with my H&H, 150's and 180's but I've come to the conclusion it is a waste of time and energy. Get good with the 180's and keep it simple.

JB

Howdy,
There may be a "formula" for this but I doubt it would replace actually shooting your gun at the range. I have been handloading for years and I'd like to add something I have noticed. Changing bullet weights /load combinations etc. can affect your group's windage as well as elevation ! I have seen this numerous times. My 300 mag prints 2" high dead centre with my 180's. Tried another load with 150's and it prints 2" higher and almost a full inch to the left.. ???
Not a huge difference at 100 meters, but becomes a huge problem at even 300 meters.
Unless you are gonna use "one load For all" I would suggest re-sighting your rifle anytime you change "Loads"
My 180's seem to perform fine on deer. You could always go in between your 150 and 180's with the 165 gr. bullets for a "Do All" load.
Just my two bits.
"BC" Will

I shoot 180's out of my 06' for both and they do a great job on both as well. I have a 300 WSM and have it sighted in for 180's and hopefully will get to test it out sometime (haven't got one yet.) My dad has shot numerous deer with his 300 WM and it drops them like a rock generally without to much damage. I would say just stick to the universal load that works best for your gun. If it is enough for an elk it will do a dandy on a deer.
Michael

I shoot a Browning A Bolt in 300 WSM and have been wrestling with the same question. The 150g ballistic tips blew up deer and antelope, so I switched to 180gr Federal with Speer Grand Slam bullets and it did great on antelope. I missed my elk this year (my fault, not the guns) and will go for deer in a week but I don't see a problem with that bullet as a "Do all" for antelope and elk.

Bryan AKA BBOY

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom