35 DAYS

Cookie2

Very Active Member
Ok now it's crunch time! I've been busy doing other things but now it's time to figure out what to do about my bow ibex hunt. I have no idea about how to go about it or even which end of the mountains to start on. Anyone have any advice on the subject. I might get to go over there for a day to get an idea but right now it doesn't look too good.

I am counting down also. I "scouted" earlier in the year and it was easy to find them, but getting close was another story. I think I will shoot at any Ibex that gives me a shot, billy or not. I figure any Ibex with a bow is an acomplishment. Hows the "training" going? I just kicked it into high gear so that that rock pile dosen't eat me for lunch. I plan on hunting the north end around capital dome, its a little more open but not as mean. There is good access through Mahoney park if you want to start in the middle of the range. The biggest ones I saw were around Needles Eye. I dont know how you would get to them though.

I work in a refinery so there's plenty of ladders and stairs to work on so I think it is going pretty good. Haven't been able to get to the hills lately to hike but I think I'm in pretty good shape. I hear that the only way to get one with a bow is to sit and wait and hopefully one comes to you. What do you think?

That is awesome that you have a tag. Last year, I camped and then hiked to Baldy Peak from Three Little Hills on the east side. Saw very few tracks and/or scat, even though there is a great water source at the foot. When I came off, there was a BLM cop waiting for me--he wanted to make sure I wasn't acting as a look-out for any illegals that might be passing through the bottoms. When I told him that I was just trying to spot some ibex, he said that he always saw them on the north end, above the Rock Hound State Park towards the Needles Eye.

I haven't since had the opportunity to go back and test his statement, but if I was fortunate to have a tag, that's where I'd look first.

I would scout from the west side first and I think if you got down there a day or two before the opener and could establish a trail that was being used a little more than others you may have a chance. With as many hunters as there will be on that mountain opening day those Ibex are going to be running all over the place. As long as some guys get up into those meadows at the top of the mountain and start pushing them around we should see a couple get killed this year. Good luck man either way it should be a blast.
Jordan

Best of luck to you guys.Passthrough , no matter how hard you train , "THAT ROCK PILE" is having you for nothing more than a snack lol.Hope you guys aren't afraid of hieghts....

474da6532b60ba44.jpg

474da6702cab45f4.jpg

474da6982de6c3ff.jpg

anyone of you recognized this pictures? I went Ibex hunting in 90's and bagged 2 nanny with friend of my and I don't know if u guys remembered

kill nanny first before can get billy tag..I never went back for billy...my nanny was 15" and I don't know what happened to my pictures of the nanny...I kept lookin for it..before went college in califorina..

vinihunt

Nutt,
judging from Vinny's pics...... piece of cake!!! I can't get there before the 6th. Maybe they'll be good and jumpy by then! Wouldn't want it to be TOO EASY!

Cookie, Vini's a crazy sum buck! I think I might know where those pics are but not sure.Vini those aren't on the Floridas are they???wink wink, you smacked those goats across the mountain on the other side...Cookie the main rock pile is steep and ugly like ugly on an ape! But hey , BROTHER YOU KNOW I'MMA PULLIN FUR YA!

Down to 15 now and getting a little nervous.....
Any last minute advice from all you experts out
there? After all the phone calls and PMs with
others who have "been there" I'm thinking this is
going to be an ambush type hunt. Not looking forward
to sitting on a rockpile being still for hours on end
but seems the only likely way to get an arrow in an
IBEX!!!!!

My last minute advice is take rope , a good charged cell phone and plenty of nutrition snacks, water , a camera , some more rope, warm clothes in layers , great glasses, a range finder , make sure your bow is tuned and spitting arrows hard,good foot gear , gloves, warm head gear,water,oranges for more energy, maybe a bit more rope if you have room in your pack , and a video cam if more room is available.Oh and don't forget your knife just in case you don't get down you can always slit your wrist for being so crazy....But remember , Imma pullin for ya....NM

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom