52 Muzzleloader Antelope in NM

Blank

Long Time Member
After years of helping others, now it's my turn to ask! Any general info or starting points for this unit so I can get started on a scouting trip this month?

Congrats Blank , 52 is AWESOME !! I've been pretty lucky to have drawn it a few times and killed two nice bucks back to back in 2000 and 2001 . I've killed bucks on both sides of the road and there was a very good fawn crop this year and antelope all over .I haven't drawn it two years in a row , but can't complain because I have drawn antelope tags back to back a couple times . I drew 52 archery elk though , 52 is easily and by far my favorite unit in NM....NMhuntnutt

antelope are allover! like nmhuntnutt said...fawn and the crops are great up there..very green...was up there 2 weekend ago...to do some fishin..

saw many young bucks...but there are some big bucks .....

go on north side of san antonio where there will be less pressure...many hunters will be mostly on southern and west side will press antelope going north...

thats where i helped my 2 friend bagged their first antelope with muzzle loader on north side...

first shot at 7:15 am the second buck at 9 am same area...

good luck

vinihunt

Vini- Thanks for the pointers. Getting real excited to see some of that new country. Would love to try and better the 75"er I got last year in Wyoming with the muzzleloader. With 2 blackpowder antelope tags already, I am anxiously waiting for that Arizona Unit 8 to draw. :) Gonna get the map order off tonight. Oh yeah, I talked to Predator last night and she got the same Utah tag she had last year over at Vernal. Sounds like we're all gonna have some fun!!!!!

congrats Blank.....Larry and Vini will help you out. I do hope you dont draw the AZ tag and they give it to me...LOL.....hope you kill a big goat in NM........ Allen Taylor......

I know you guys probably know about the goats to the south of Lagunitas (spelling), but if you don't you need to go and check them out. On of the largest bucks I have seen up there was in this location. I also have seen some good one to the northeast of Lagunitas. I know a lot of guys go for the open country, but it is cool to see them in the aspens! Good luck.

Blank,

Saw several "lopes" last year during/just after the first elk hunt, west of Crueces Basin along the two track that leads to the paved road in Colo. There is some private land mixed in with public so check your maps. I had never seen lopes that high before, but I'm not an expert on antelope. Might be a spot that doesn't get much pressure, but I'm just guessing.

Phantom Hunter

Back from NM and had a blast! Thanks bunches to everyone for all their help. We killed 5 bucks for 7 tags, and two were 15+" that were in the 80-82" gross area. The other 3 were more in the 13-13 1/2" range. Saw several others harvested which were all good length and mass. I did see one 16" monster and at least 5 shooters in the 15+ category which were just unapproachable. Made a mile long spot-stalk with about 200 yards of crawling to take my bedded buck up in a flat basin. Very hot and dry conditions had the East side of 285 burnt up, and antelope scattered. The road hunters were busy, and I did see several wounded bucks, but people were trying to follow up each one and recover them. The G&F who checked me in the field said I was one of the few he had checked who bothered to get a Habitat stamp. They (3 wardens) were working the area pretty hard, and giving tickets. Up around Lagunitas we found more elk than 'lopes, and talk about crowded! First time I have seen people hunt them from horseback. Got some pictures and when they get scanned, I will get them to Brian for the photo gallery. Again, thanks for the help and good luck to everyone on their upcoming hunts. Joel

IM GLAD!!! HURRY WITH THE PICTURES...SEND TO ME I CAN POST FOR YOU!!! YEAH LAGUITAS IS FULL OF ELK COMPARED TO ANTELOPE BUT STILL A GREAT VIEW! I BET...CONGRATS AND WELCOME BACK HOME ...

IM GLAD WE ARE ABLE TO HELP U GUYS!!!

VINIHUNT

Congrat's - see any elk? I will be there in 10 days for elk.

Dad is having trouble getting the habitat stamp, ordered it twice now. Got a week to get here.

Country was in great shape and lots of water up high around Lagunitas. Did see elk in the parks west of San Antonio and also some up on the mountain itself. We picked up our stamps in Taos at the Wal-Mart before our hunt opened.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom