61 bear

1989Cohunter

Very Active Member
Drew a tag this year got my butt kicked year before last. Glassed a lot of country and didn’t see much. It was a super wet winter before which I’ve heard is troublesome for bear hunting.

During bear season, hunt the lower elevations where the acorns are. You will find plenty of bear in 61, most make the mistake of hunting too high. 5-6,500 feet

There are tons of bears in 61. Find an oak brush hillside with acorns and just sit and glass.

There are a lot of Bears, however there is also a Ton of country, and a million acres of Oak Brush. Depending on the acorn crop, the Bears will either be spread out all over, or they could be very concentrated in pockets, that have acorns. I would cover a lot of country looking for acorns, and Bear sign before even starting to glass. Once you find sign, you will find bears.

I think the advice about hunting lower on the mountain is definitely solid. Good luck, there’s some tanks in there, but it’s not a slam dunk, like some would make it out to be.

I would also look at transition areas where Pinyon, oak and berries all within the same general area. Bears seem to like a variety of foods instead of an abundance of just one. Hunt that 7500 to 8000 foot range with above food sources and good water then you should see plenty.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom