A hole in my garage

eelgrass

Long Time Member
8737myscull002.jpg

1012myscull003.jpg

6128myscull005.jpg

Back in 1968 or 69 I decided I wanted a scull boat for hunting ducks and geese. I had seen a few and was amazed at how effective they were but had never been in one. Back then there was no such thing as going out and buying one as that was almost unheard of. There just weren't that many around. So I decided to build one. I also decide I could build one lighter and better than any I had seen. I'd never built a boat before, but I jumped in head first. It became my passion at the time.

I didn't have a garage at that time, but we had a dining room with a sliding glass door. If you want to test your marriage, ask permission to build a 14' boat inside your house. Luckily there was a door that separated the kitchen from the dining room.

I quickly figured out there is nothing square on a scull boat and that was just as well, as about the only tools I had, or could afford, were a hand saw, jig saw, a block plane, a belt sander, and a power drill.

First I had to build a wood hull to use as a jig. That took about a month. I actually did most of that in the yard and then moved it into the house, where I laid several layers of fiberglass (cloth and matting) to the inside of the jig with mold release applied so the new, all glass hull would pop off.It took several more months to finish the deck, transom, cowling, oar locks, etc. The scull oar had to be hand made too. I was working full time and always short of money back then, but I got it finished finally, just before duck season. I ended up spending about $165 total.

It turned out to be a great boat. It more than met my expectations as a fast stealthy waterfowl killer. It glides through the water without leaving a wake. I believe at the time it was the fastest scull boat around. It only weighs about 100 lbs. It turned out to be very sea worthy too. I had it out on the bay a few times in 40 knot winds without too much worry. She always brought me home safe.

Over the years I used this boat all over northern and central California. Just about any lake, bay, or reservoir that allowed waterfowl hunting. I have no idea how many birds I've taken over the years but probably around two thousand. The one year I did keep track was 217 ducks and geese. That's a lot of time filled with great memories.

The last 15 years or so I only used it a few times a year. My desire to limit out every day has waned, and the older I got the more I realized that sculling is a young man's game, as it is very demanding physically. It will push you to the limit routinely.

Awhile back a friend of mine told me he knew a kid who was looking for a scull boat and wanted to know if mine was for sale? It kind of took me back a little. A couple weeks go by and he mentioned it again, so I agreed to let him come over and at least look at it. I wasn't serious about selling it. Are you kidding me?

When I met the young man (about 20) and he saw my boat, I could tell right off I was looking at myself 50 years ago. I tried to down play my boat and explain how hard sculling really was and how dangerous rough water can be. He wasn't buying any of it. He asked me a hundred questions, and they were all the right questions. I was pretty impressed. Finally after a couple hours, the inevitable question came up. I told him it would probably cost around $800 to build a boat these days. The price of fiberglass and resin is outrageous. He said he was prepared to offer $1500. I told him to give me his phone number and I would think about it. He thanked me and left.

After talking to my wife and telling her how impressed I was with this young man, I called him up the next day and told him to bring $1200 and the boat was his. I gave my wife half the money for letting me build it in the house all those years ago.

Now there's a hole in the garage and I'm not sure I like it. I think the hole goes deeper than that.

What a great story you've just shared with us. Thank you. Sentimental attachment and memories made are a part of life that all appreciate as they get longer in tooth.

Well Eel!

All We can do is Hope He takes good care of Her!

That's gotta Hurt!

I Think you shoulda Kept it!:D

I seen a Bumper Sticker once that said:

My Wife Yes!My Dog Maybe!My Boat Never!:D

[font color="blue"]They Shot Him in the Back AKA 'LaVoyed Him'!
[/font]

Did the Rough Water ever Tip You Over?

Did you ever get in to a Situation where you were Thinking You were gonna get yourself Killed with your Own Home Built Skull?

[font color="blue"]They Shot Him in the Back AKA 'LaVoyed Him'!
[/font]

Cool story eel. Nice it went to a good home.

I know absolutely nothing about boats and wouldn't even know which way it's supposed to go. But looks like you did a great job on it.

[font color="blue"]I don't make the soup,I just stir it.[/font]

> Did the Rough Water
>ever Tip You Over?
>
>Did you ever get in to
>a Situation where you were
>Thinking You were gonna get
>yourself Killed with your Own
>Home Built Skull?
>
>[font color="blue"]They Shot Him in the
>Back AKA 'LaVoyed Him'!
>[/font]
>

I never tipped over. Keep the bow into the wind was one of the first lessons. :) I was worried about getting swamped a few time though. The worst was out on San Louis Reservoir. I barely made it back to shore before a 4' wall of white water caught me. It went from dead calm to gale force winds in a matter of minutes. That one scared me, so I never went back.

One time in Humboldt Bay the Coast Guard came over in their 30' boat to rescue me but I told them I was fine. They just shook their heads and left. I had too much pride. :)

Dang nice bit of personal history, Eel.
It seems we're both entering another chapter of our lives but it's okay to look back and say "been there, done that". I don't have much left to prove nowadays. It's still a little melancholy.

Zeke

Damn fine boat build and a damn fine story. Good on ya.

The word is out on just how well these boats work. The unit I mostly hunt in northern Utah is full of them most weekends. We had a local builder here that put out one hell of a nice layout.

"If the DWR was just doing its job, and
wildlife and hunting were the actual focus,
none of this process would even matter.
But that is not the focus or the goal in any
of this. The current DWR regime, and
SFW were born out of wildlife declines,
and are currently operated and funded
under that paradigm. Those 200 Expo
tags would not even be worth anything if
the focus was where it was supposed to
be, and wildlife and tags were plentiful.
But under the current business model,
that is how the money and power is
generated. It is generated through the
rising "value"(monitization) of a declining
resource. A resource that is supposed to
be being beneficially managed for the
masses that own that resource, ie. US.
The problem is obvious, hedging is not a
long term sustainable strategy, and
others have to lose, for some to win. In
this case it is us, the many, and our
resources, that are being forced to lose,
because there is a minority who's power
and money is derived from our loses."

LONETREE 3/15/16

eel, you're a courageous craftsman, sportsman, visionary, and a talented story teller. Passing your passions onto the next generation of young outdoorsmen is consistent with a life dedicated to the the lifestyle. Your a heart warming example to the rest of us.

I'd wager every "stage" of your life has been filled with "larger than life" experiences, and as you've entered another "new stage" I'm sure you'll continue to fill your life with marvelous outdoor activities, albeit, different from those things you experienced at a different age. In twenty years, you'll look back and say, "these retirement years are pretty outstanding too".

As one phase closes, a new phase opens, all the best in your future adventures eel. Thanks for sharing the good times!

DC.

Eel that was a great story and a pat on the back for treating that young man right. I am sure he will get as much pleasure from that skull boat as you did. I have a funny feeling everytime he uses that boat, he will remember that older gentleman who treated him right.

RELH

RELH, I learned a little of that from you.

Thanks for the nice comments. One reason I decided to let it go was I couldn't bear the thought of my daughter hauling it to the dump after I'm gone. :)

Wiley, are there scull boats in Utah? I know of two in Montana. A friend of mine used to scull the Snake River near Boise, ID.

Been along time since I have posted in this forum, but this post is truly worthy.

First time Eelgrass popped in here I pm'd him and asked, "With a name like that are you by chance a sculler?". As a fellow sculler (few of us around) I too must come to grips with one day selling my own boat which I have had since I was 16 years old. I started off as a shooter and official cripple killer at age 11, by 14 I was on the oar, by 16 I had my own boat.

My boat was 1 of 4 built by Ed Dunkel out of Redwood City in 1953. My father and godfather owned 1 each and the other 2 belonged to Ed and his brother Bill. When Bill died, Ed called me and told he was so impressed with my love of sculling that he wanted me to have Bill's boat. Tom Steinsta wrote a book about fishing in California and dedicated a chapter to Ed Dunkel. I was lucky to have great hunting and fishing mentors growing up.

Of all the types of hunting I have ever done, nothing compares with sculling. The love a sculler has for his boat has probably been the end of more than a few happy marriages. A word of advice to those that do not scull, never get into handshake gripping contest with a sculler.

I'm glad to see the boat went to somebody who has the bug. At 51 I figure I have about 10 more years and my day will come too. Like a kid I still get excited for opening day, the cold morning chill hitting my face and the smell of outboard exhaust mixed with WD-40, coffee and brandy.

How deep does sculling go? We spread my father's ashes on a hilltop overlooking his favorite cove on San Luis Res between Tunnel Island and Portugese Creek, a place we call The Ranch.

It's gonna take this kid a few years to learn how to really read the weather, the water, the birds, and master the oar. You gonna give this kid any lessons this summer?

Hehehe...afraid of a little wind Eel? No doubt San Luis like the South Bay can go from glass to crap in about 15 minutes. I hunted San Luis for 30+ years and on average about 2 people a year die out there.

Not a bad place for Humboldt most times, but I would never put an Alviso on that water. Never cared much for flat bottom scull boats, too unstable.

I had the Marin CG do the same thing while sturgeon fishing. We were about 400 yds out from tower 21 on the Richmond/San Rafael bridge. They thought my godbrother and I were stranded on a piece of plywood. After running us through the checklist they told us we were crazy and left.

You did a good job building that boat eel!I hope the kid takes care of it and 50 years from now your story will be told to lots of duck hunters and collectors.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-30-16 AT 06:42AM (MST)[p]Forthewall, thanks for chiming in. It's interesting to hear about how you got involved in sculling and the different histories unique to local areas. Sculling is a link back to the market hunting days.

When I first started there were a few old timers around who were market hunters in their youth. There was a guy by the name of George Dean who was revered here on Humboldt Bay. He was about 70 when I met him. He would drive his old truck down to the bay with his boat, an old Redwood plank boat that leaked like a sieve, and just watch. The spirit was willing, but the flesh was weak.

I used to love to listen to his stories of the old days. He said after market hunting was out lawed he got busted by the local warden for selling two ducks. He went before the judge and the judge fined him $10. Later that day he sold two more ducks to the same judge!

One day there was a flock of Brant came off the ocean and landed out front, so I unloaded my boat and asked George if he wanted to double scull with me. I sculled us right in on them and I let him do the shooting. He had an old worn out Model 12, but he managed to kill 4! He was thrilled. He died that summer, and I felt honored to have given him one last scull.

The kid who has my boat didn't seem interested at this point in any lessons, but I think he'll call me in due time. Damn know it all kids. :)

Very nice boat and cool story! The boat is really impressive, especially for your first build. I have a somewhat similar situation, built a 2-man layout type boat 36 years ago. It's up against the wall in my garage, haven't used it in about 30 years. Keep thinking I might someday find a use for it again, so I keep holding on to it, perhaps more for sentimental reasons. But maybe it's time to let it go. Of course you found a good home for your boat, that helps.

....he's busy installing an electric troller and a smart phone bracket and bluetooth speakers...

>....he's busy installing an electric troller
>and a smart phone bracket
>and bluetooth speakers...

or listing it on Craigslist for $1600

>>....he's busy installing an electric troller
>>and a smart phone bracket
>>and bluetooth speakers...
>
>or listing it on Craigslist for
>$1600

Lmao eel.....I pray we are both wrong.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-31-16 AT 07:55AM (MST)[p]Very misleading headline. I assumed you had a hole in your garage because you backed your truck in with the boat in the back and caved in a wall. I was thinking "Dang! Looks like we are going to have to take Eel's keys away!"

Not so soon my friend!! Not so soon. ;-)

Very touching story. Reminds me of how Norman Maclean wrote: "?Of course, now I am too old to be much of a fisherman, and now of course I usually fish the big waters alone, although some friends think I shouldn't. Like many fly fishermen in western Montana where the summer days are almost Arctic in length, I often do not start fishing until the cool of the evening. Then in the Arctic half-light of the canyon, all existence fades to a being with my soul and memories and the sounds of the Big Blackfoot River and a four-count rhythm and the hope that a fish will rise."

Never stop fishing Eel! Or chasing ducks and geese.

HOOK 'EM!

Since I am frequently asked about my religion on this site and others, I have created a profile that explains my beliefs. If you are interested in finding out more about my faith, please visit the link below:

http://mormon.org/me/6RNQ/

>Very misleading headline. I assumed you
>had a hole in your
>garage because you backed your
>truck in with the boat
>in the back and caved
>in a wall.

I thought the same thing at first!

>>Very misleading headline. I assumed you
>>had a hole in your
>>garage because you backed your
>>truck in with the boat
>>in the back and caved
>>in a wall.
>
>I thought the same thing at
>first!

I did too! I keep coming back to this forum to see if that's the real reason Eel sold the damn thing! LMAO

(some days I think I'm funny. ha)
Zeke

"Very misleading headline"

Me too! I thought maybe somebody broke in to steal all those salami's that you had hanging. How'd they turn out by the way? :)

Joey

Keep your slimy Paws Off My, Yours, Our,.. Public Land!!!

How ya gonna sneek up on those turtles now eel? You sure Roy didn't pay that kid to take it off your hands?

One of the bests posts I've seen on here in a long time. Thanks for sharing that. Very, very cool.

No,....the hole in my garage came from backing up with a 12' 2X12 in the back of my truck that I forgot about. It was a fiberglass door so I just had to replace one panel.

If the weather repeats this fall I'll be hunting in Cali late season if it floods. I sure could use an experienced shooter in front. She's a big comfortable girl, made a custom ammo shooter box that will make you fall asleep.

Late season, lots of woodies, everything is on the menu, even ditch pidgeons. I'll PM you, it'd be an honor. I greet the morning with Korbel in my coffee, just in case you are a Christian Bros guy. :)

At George Dean's funeral a stranger came up to me and said he took a picture of George and his birds that day, and he wanted me to have it. I had no idea, as I never took photos back in those days. The date says 1970.

7523dean003.jpg

That would be fun! :) About the only three species that eluded my scull over the years was Wood Duck, Hooded Merganser, and European Widgeon.

I'll shoot to the right and you shoot to the left.

Joey asked: "Me too! I thought maybe somebody broke in to steal all those salami's that you had hanging. How'd they turn out by the way?"

It turned out good! I gave my sister about 1/4 of it. (she would have stole it anyway). 1/4 of it I traded to my buddy and his wife for 12, 1/2 pint jars of her famous Triple Berry Jam. The other 1/2 is reserved for Giant's baseball games and hunting season. :)

Thanks Eel, was wondering how that came out for you. A very wise and prudent use of such a valuable resource, especially the SF Giants games! ;-)

I'm glad to see that you and your Sister are close. I love mine to death, a pure Angel that long ago earned her wings and she still checks in on her big brother almost daily. lol

Joey

Keep your slimy Paws Off My, Yours, Our,.. Public Land!!!

Great stuff, Hope more follow your foot steps, You're a class act.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom