Achilles Tendon Recovery

T

Texas_Hunter

I ruptured my achilles about 5 months ago and had surgery to repair it. I have been talking with people who have had a similar surgery and I am kinda discouraged about my ability to do some of my dream hunts.

If any of you have had the surgery, could you send me a PM and maybe I could ask you some questions offline. Basically, everything I am being told is the tightness and stiffness I am feeling in my achilles will probably remain forever. This is from people who had the surgery 3 - 5 years ago.

I am able to walk and climb up and down ladders and that stuff, but really hard walking up and down hills and rocks - I have done some - is okay when I do it, but the next day it is really swollen. Thanks for any feedback you can give me.

My brother-in-law did the same thing at about the same time as you.Actually later, about middle of march. Did the surgery, 9 weeks in a cast and was supposed to do six months rehab but his is almost back to normal with no rehap other than lots of up and down work. He is a 45 and doing very well with it. His doctor is impressed and doesn't need the physical therapy. If your doctor recommends the therapy, do it.You'll be fine.

JB

My dad had one of his achilles snap about 6 months ago. Surgery, 6 weeks in cast, and couple weeks in walking cast, and a couple weeks with a limp. After that, pretty much normal. He's 68.

Ive had two surgeries on my achilies and it still doesnt get much better. you have to remember that it is the main load carrying tendon in your whole body and sometimes muscle groups will detatch after sugery .. mine will never be the same and i have had to slow down my hunting .. some things just need to be accepted.. it will take longer to get up the mountain and back down. make sure you do knee excercises as much as possible because that is where the pressure is going now. it really sucks.. i still hunt elk in montana deer and elk in utah and whitetails in Kansas it just has to be slower and develop other muscles to compensate. the pain wont go away but you will get used to it..
with the swelling and stuff happening aftre excersise you should have your Dr. look at it . i had a large muscle group detatch and have to be put back so that is why i had to have two surgeries. that was one of the signs of a problem was the swelling.
if you want to e-mail me
it is [email protected]

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom