Another "Which draw" question

ColdBore

Last year I drew for deer in Boulder/Kapairaitos, then unfortunately suffered a shoulder injury while deployed, and had to turn my tag back in under the medical clause (with doctors supporting evidence), allowing me keep my points.

So I am trying again this year, after going through enough therapy to get me back in the game.

After drawing the Boulder tag, and starting to research the area, I sort of semi-regretted getting that tag, so the injury was almost a blessing (if you can say that about a partial rotator cuff tear!).

Question is, with basically zero time to scout (military, out-of-state), but as a resident, with 3 Buck Deer, 10 General Buck, and 9 Elk Bull points, where should I be applying?

I will likely become a non-resident in two or three years, so am trying to get this in while I can. Also, age and a few various other injuries are pointing towards getting this done sooner rather than later. With point creep, etc, I'm not wanting to invest many more years before I get to hunt.

I will have no access to horses or a 4-wheeler, but may drive my 4x4 truck back. Lacking that, I am also open to a semi-guided hunt (they get me into the woods, with a place to live and eat, and let me hunt on my own).

Of course, we all want that buck or bull that will be on all of the magazine covers, but I will be happy with a nice solid mature representative animal. I'm not out to simply kill the first legal animal I see, but also realize the limitations going against me, so am trying to set realistic expectations.

I am looking for the area with the best potential at the level of points that I have, hunting with a rifle (definitely not archery). (Yeah, I know.... probably means no Henrys huh ;-) )

So which unit for deer?

Elk?

Any guide recommendations if I do draw?

Thanks!

With 10 general season preference points you are guaranteed a tag in any general season unit in the state. In fact 5 points will guarantee you a tag in 2015 for any general hunt available.

If I were in your shoes I'd find a friend or family member that would go hunt with you and have them put in with you to get some value out of your extra points and go hunt the Plateau/Thousand Lake unit. Very few tags so you wouldn't be competing with a sea of other hunters.

>With 10 general season preference points
>you are guaranteed a tag
>in any general season unit
>in the state. In fact
>5 points will guarantee you
>a tag in 2015 for
>any general hunt available.
>
>If I were in your shoes
>I'd find a friend or
>family member that would go
>hunt with you and have
>them put in with you
>to get some value out
>of your extra points and
>go hunt the Plateau/Thousand Lake
>unit. Very few tags so
>you wouldn't be competing with
>a sea of other hunters.
>

I think he means he has 10 le deer points and 3 general points. At least I hope he means that.

>I think he means he has 10 le deer points and 3 general points. At least I hope he means that.<

Nope. :-(

Through a combination of circumstances, that is where I sit now.

Knowing that a general hunt is basically a given, which area for the best combination of access, chance at a good buck (see above), terrain that a guy who is in generally good shape but not a 20-year-old mountaineer any longer can handle alone on foot, etc?

Or... are there *any* LE deer areas worth even trying at the 3 point level instead?

And what about elk? Best area for the combination of high draw odds, a good bull, and circumstances described earlier?

I know that I'm limiting myself, so am not holding out for that record book animal or bust. Nor am I a meat hunter who will shoot the first legal animal that I can get the crosshairs on. I'd like a hunt with higher odds of a "nice" buck/bull, rather than lower odds on a smasher. I need terrain that is reasonable. I like to spot and stalk. Logistically, this will either be a semi-guided affair, or likely a town-based thing, staying in a motel (would rather do the semi-guided). Just not set up gear or time-wise to set up a camp seeing that I have to travel, though will have a lightweight backpacking tent with me for possible overnights if needed (not a week-long stay in it though).

Thanks!

You might as well throw your name in the hat with your LE points. You never know, you just might get lucky and draw one of the random tags. With you planning on using your general points this year I'd put in for one of the top LE hunts like the henry's or paunsaugunt.

As far as what unit to put in for on the general season hunt I'd look for a unit that takes 3-4 points to draw. There's a reason they take longer to draw. Check out biggamedrawodds.com and narrow it down. Like I said earlier I would do the Plateau/Thousand Lake hunt for the simple fact that tags are so limited it's basically like a limited entry hunt.

I decided to forego the guarantee, and instead jump in to the Henrys draw, at something like 533-to-1 odds. :p

With such limited time, lack of hands-on scouting, travel, etc, I figured I'd either get real lucky and go whole hog, or not hunt.

I'm just about at a point where I'm ready to walk away and let everybody else move up a notch on the point creep ladder.

Don't get too frustrated ColdBore. If I were in your shoes though, I think I'd be putting in for LE Elk hunts rather than LE Deer hunts. You already have 9 points towards an elk hunt. That means that you are getting pretty close to some hunts that could be really, really fun (like a late hunt in the Book Cliffs). You could be hunting elk in the next couple of years, then you can jump back over to the Deer Draw. With 3 points, you may not be close to any bonus tags, but there's a chance that you could draw one of the new late-season muzzy units, and who knows what the DWR will do over the next few years with LE deer. They may offer even more of those late-season hunts.

And you can obviously draw any General Season deer unit in the state. Check the draw numbers, and whichever one requires the highest number of points, put in there and I'm guessing you will have a good hunt. (Most likely Plateau/Thousand Lakes as it has low rifle tag numbers and was an LE unit just a few years ago.)

Good luck in your draw brotha. Hope you beat the odds..!!

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

I agree, start going for elk you can get some good tags with around 10 points. Also with 3 LE deer you have decent odd at some of the CWMU deer tags. They aren't the Henry's but they are better than a general tag.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom