Antelope Island 500.00 recreation permit.

Blanding_Boy

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Jun-28-11 AT 02:34PM (MST)[p]I have heard that there might be a new recreation permit for the island. I have heard that someone paid $500.00 to have 24/7 access to Antelope Island. Even a key to the locked gates where access is restricted to later times during the day (to the public) and can pretty much have free run of the Island as long as you stick to the existing roads and trails.

I'm curious what you all think about this. Should anyone that ask for and pays a 500.00 fee for one get the 'golden keys'? Should there be a certain no. (limited entry--even a drawing) issued by State Parks. There is a vendor there already who has a business running horse rides etc. and believe they had to go through a proposal and bid process and likely pay a percentage based on use back to the park. I know lots of guys to go there regularly to take photos who would love to have something like this. Heck, I would pay for something like this just to go and take pictures.

Given the financial struggles of the park is this an avenue to generate a few more dollars? 20 permits at 500.00 a pop would generate 10k? Plus if you as a permit holder were selling pictures, running tours, guiding for wildlife I'm sure there would be opportunity for additional revenue splits.

What do you all think?

LAST EDITED ON Jun-28-11 AT 12:08PM (MST)[p]Sounds to me like they have opened a can of worms because if it's a public facility everyone should have equal access. Anyone, therefore, that wants a key and can pay the fee should receive one.

+1 good for one good for all. The fee sounds pretty cheap for a 24/7 access.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Place is hardly worth the $3 they charge me to ride my bicycle across the causeway. Biting bugs of every sort, stinky salty mud flats, curfew times on when you can be where, and if you even look like you're thinking about walking off a trail a satalite laser beam is poised to vaporize you from existence. In many aspects I think the place is a joke. Wish the State would have bought some Deseret acreage and left the island to its own devices.

I would really question the existence of this mystery permit. If one does exist, then somebody sure pulled a fast one. I'd be very curious to know which guide was crafty enough to swing this.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

and besides....if you get too many people on the island at once it could tip......

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

i did hear the mossback crew was photgraphing a lot early this year and heard RUMORS only rumors that they had special access

Nothing too new. It's called a special use permit. Apply to the Park Manager. If it's legal, ethical , and won't harm the resources of the park, you can probably get one. One small problem, the permitee needs to be responsible. That might preclude most of us.:)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom