Antelope unit 59

marley

Very Active Member
I finally drew my first ever antelope tag. What size of bucks should I be looking for? Is a 70 inch buck big for this unit or should I be holding out for bigger? Field judging them for me is probably going to be the toughest part as I have never hunted antelope before. I will be doing this solo because all of my family and friends have other tags during the same time. I have noticed on the map that the northern part of this unit is mostly private, are there alot of goats to be found around the base of the mountain around the southern part of the unit? Thanks for any info. you can provide. Feel free to PM me.

I also drew a area 59 tag. I have had doe fawn tags for that unit the last 2 years and have seen some great bucks, upper 70s is not out of the question, the local taxi mounted a buck out of that unit last year that grossed 82 so they are out there. I think the south side of the mountian has the most goats. HOLD OUT AND HUNT HARD. GOOD LUCK

Thanks for the reply. My problem is I don't know if I would actually know the difference between a 60" goat and a 70" goat. I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing. I always feel confident that I can judge a mule deer within a few inches and an elk within 7-8 inches but these antelope are a whole new story for me. Thanks again.

Antelope are tough to judge. Using the ear length is an OK general rule, but some bucks have lower prongs than others and the length of the ear varies, as does the length of the snout. The first thing I look at is mass as most good bucks won't get very far without it, especially in WY where they don't get Arizona tall. A side view is the best way to judge mass and I usually use they eye diameter comparison to the horn. A single eye width or just over the buck is skinny. Approaching double eye width at the base and you're getting into 6-7 inch bases, which is where you want to be. Horn length is tricky also. Bucks without a lot of curl tend to look longer than bucks with more curl when many times the reverse is true. Look for a buck with good hooks. Prongs are sometimes tricky as well. Many bucks appearing to have long prongs have skinny horns making the prong look longer. A skinny buck with 4-5 inch prongs can look impressive at first glance. Conversely, a buck with good mass can have the same length prong buck not look nearly as impressive. And, antelope come in all shapes and sizes, rarely having a good balance of everything in mass, length, and prong. Picture a buck with modest 14" horns, a 5-6 inch prong, 6" on the first and second circumferences and respectable mass above the prong, say 4" on the 3rd and 2.5-3" on the 4th and you have a high 70's to 80" buck on your hands.

WOW...thanks for those guidelines. I will only have a few days on this hunt so I'm hoping to come home with a good respresentative of the animal for the wall.

Are there areas to camp in the unit? I have a trailer I thought maybe I would take but if there are no camp places I thought I would just stay somewhere in Rock Springs.

marley I was in the same position as you last year but in a different unit.First real Antelope hunt and no experience judging them although i looked at hundreds of pictures here on M.M.
There's some great advice above.It's really hard when there 300-500 yards out.What i did was after spending 3 days hunting and looking at tons of bucks i just mentally compared all the bucks i saw in my area and concentrated on the biggest 1-2.

I shot one of them not knowing what he would score.He ended up scoreing between 76-77.There could have been bigger bucks in my unit but i feel i shot one of the "upper end" bucks that i saw so i can't complain.

We will be hunting 59 this year to. Coming from Washington and decided it would be easier just to stay in Rock springs. Got a room for $50 a night ( two of us so only $25 each. can't beat that. ) I have shot a couple antelope in MT. The best thing to do is look over a bunch of bucks. Have a good spotting scope. From people I have talked to it sounds like it should be a fun hunt. Sounds like a great year for horn growth.

Can you guys just go down there and put them in a line up for me? The pics on here have helped alittle. Hopefully I can come home with something respectable. Thanks.

59 is a great unit. You should have no problem finding a buck over 60". You should also have plenty to choose from in the 70" category. Others have already given you great advice on judging. My experience has been 12" horns get you in the 60's. 14" horns get you in the 70's and 16" horns get you in the 80's. This is not a hard and fast rule but a guideline, mass and prong length can really help or hurt the score. Plenty of places to land a trailer, a great deal of BLM land in the area. You may find more improved camp spots around the Firehole area along the shore of the Gorge.

Good distribution of goats throughout the unit. I can honestly say you should be into goats regardless of where you go. Lots of roads and really open country. Up on the south rim above Bitter Creek, to the west of Aspen has a couple of creeks that run water year round. Worm creek is a place to check out. More water in the area than people would think.

Have fun, antelope are one of the most enjoyable hunts around.

Plenty of places to camp in that area. Makes for a better experience IMO, get to watch the stars, listen to elk bugle, coyotes howl, sunrises/sunsets, etc . . . Antelope pretty much all over, even up high. Bring the best glass you can and if you have to look at a buck forever trying to convince yourself to shoot him, move on!

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom