any Oryx LO tags?

BigPig

Very Active Member
Do landowner tags for Oryx exist? I've already drawn my OIL tag and I'd LOVE to hunt them again DIY. Is there any way to do that other than the broken horn drawing, or a fully outfitted hunt? LO tag or trespass hunt?

There are many opportunities to hunt private land Oryx year round in NM and Texas if you are willing to pay the $$$. You may have a hard time trying to find any oryx opportunity DIY private in NM or Texas at a discounted rate. Next year you could apply for an off range oryx hunt as well but I wouldn't recommend that to most people from out of the area unless they are willing to put in significant time and effort or $$ for a guide.

I'm sure there are some landowners that have occasional oryx on their property that would sell you a trespass hunt but I would be very cautious in paying for it. I would expect all the good private to be locked up by outfitters but there could be some reasonable opportunities that I don't know about. You are already spending about $1700 for a tag/license in NM as a nonresident. Saving $2000 to avoid paying an outfitter would be risky if you are from out of the area. I looked into some private land options for Oryx a few years ago. You might be able to find something for around $3000 but with inflation/increased demand we are seeing, I would expect to pay around $5000 if you want something this year.

It’s not about the money. I’d just prefer to hunt on my own. I’d just as soon pay full price and have the guide stay home. But I do realize, that’s not the way it works.

BigPig,

I completely understand. I feel the same way. You could always try calling some places and seeing if you can find a DIY option but I doubt there are any large pieces of property next to the missile range that are not locked up by outfitters. If you found a small piece of private that you just had to sit and watch day after day, it wouldn't be as en exciting of a hunt as getting out and hiking around.

Not my ad. On Alb Craigslist. No clue if it is legit or not.

9E505B74-45FE-4AE1-9346-B012DECF2B9C.png

When I hunted my desert bighorn on the Armendaris four years ago, there was a pretty long waiting list to hunt oryx, so it would seem that something has changed since then. We saw some pretty nice oryx while driving to and from the Fra Cristobals.

Correct but there are two outfitters on there and they operate differently.
Yes, they do

When I hunted my desert bighorn on the Armendaris four years ago, there was a pretty long waiting list to hunt oryx, so it would seem that something has changed since then. We saw some pretty nice oryx while driving to and from the Fra Cristobals.

It changed. I hunted oryx in 2014 (I think) and again in 2017 on the ranch. First was a waiting list, the second was an auction tag. Beginning in 2018 is about when that change was made.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom