Any Snake Hunters Out There?

quest

Very Active Member
Just wondering if we had any snake hunters out there. If so, when is a good time to look? What tools do you use to harvest one? I'd like to get one for myself and do my own taxidermy on it.

quest

I used too study herpitology and raise snakes . At one point I had 75 snakes in my house . w/ that many snakes it became a full time job . forget about buying mice to feed the snakes, I got to the point of raising my own mice just to help keep down the cost of feeding all my snakes . The best times of year to find snakes is middle to end of may when they are out breeding , and end of september whenn they are out more often in search of food gorging themselves to supply a better fat content on there bodies for winter . These times mentioned vary from location of course . Snakes can't handle real extreme heat of 100 degrees , they go into hiding . During mid summer months , look for snakes in the middle of the night .

I would use 3 ft long tongs and my hands . The biggest rattlesnake I ever caught was out side of Yuma Arizona , a Red Diamondback rattlesnake that was 8ft 1' and I only used a ft long stick and bare hands then threw it in my pillow case then took it home.

I thought about getting me some of those long prongs but I don't know where to buy them? I was thinking of the ones they use to pick up paper-trash. What's the best time to look, early in the morning?

quest

The best time to locate and catch snakes in Arizona at this time of year is early morning or the middle of the night . It's too damn hot in the day . Arizona has got some awesome snakes that my area (ST George UT) does not have. So I use to take frequent trips outside of kingman, Tuscon , and Yuma to catch snakes in remote areas, looking on the roads .

Looks like a good place too order your tongs . Wow, they are alot cheaper now . Hell I purchased mine 15 + years ago when they were like $80.00 for the 40" . The 2 piece 40" tongs or clamp spring loaded is what I have . Arizona has the Arizona Mountain king snake , they are like the kingsnake just tricolored yellow black and red . They will get about 4 ft long , but are easy to care for . I fed mine unthawed pinky mice . You can purchase frozen pinky mice in packages of 50 and 50 mice will last 2 years . The package is like $30.00 .

AZMIGHTYMULIES is the 1 piece better than the 2? I was thinking the 50". All I want is one rattle snake to mount with my (lifesize) Javelina that I harvested awhile back. I'm in Mesa and really don't know where to start looking at what road to take or area any advise?

Quest, if you really want an awesome looking rattlesnake , especially if you're going to taxidermy it and keep it for awhile , go after the Red Diamondback rattler . There color and markings are awesome !! There primary body color is like a pink/red color , very distigishable from other rattlers, and the adults are fat, big bodied snakes . Take a trip west, west of ocitillo Arizona . Take a very good flashlight and look among the south facing slopes, rocky outcrops . Be careful w/ these guys, because unlike other rattlers, these Red Diamondbacks have a tendency to not rattle . They a pretty docile , not to aggressive .

LAST EDITED ON Aug-01-11 AT 03:40PM (MST)[p]Contact OLBUZZTAIL here. He catches lots of big D'backs in NM and freezes them live. The 5' one in my bobcat diorama came from him.

You can get to his private mailbox here through this link:

http://www.monstermuleys.info/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.pl?az=send_mesg&userid=OLBUZZTAIL

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

Hey quest call Travis Scott he gets about one a week in his driveway, plus he used to tell me about nights him and Troy would catch 50 snakes anight

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom