ANYONE GO TO GAME&FISH MEETING

JACOB2006

JUST HOPE SOMEONE WHO ACTUALLY KNOWS WHAT IS GOING ON WENT TO THE MEETING!!!!I COULD NOT MAKE IT.THINGS NEED TO CHANGE SO EVERYONE GETS TO HUNT SOMETIMES..KIND OF SCARY HOW SOME PEOPLE DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW IT CURENTLY WORKS!!!!!!!!!! LET ME KNOW GUYS

Everyone that commented on the proposed changes on this site were there not in person, but in comment as the assistant director of resources was to make sure our comments were presented to the commission. I haven't verbally had any verification as to whether that happened or not.

From what I've heard these items have passed, meaning an "every other year hunt" structure and upfront fees was shut down.

O. Quality/High Demand Elk Application Restriction: Any person making application for an Elk hunt designated as ?Quality? or ?High Demand? in 19.31.14 NMAC shall not have received a public draw license for an Elk hunt designated as ?Quality? or ?High Demand? in the license year prior to the application. Any hunt choices for a public draw Elk hunt designated as ?Quality? or ?High Demand? on applications submitted by persons holding a public draw ?Quality? or ?High Demand? Elk license in the prior year will not be honored.
P. Quality/High Demand Deer Application Restriction: Any person making application for a Deer hunt designated as ?Quality? or ?High Demand? in 19.31.13 NMAC shall not have received a public draw license or permit for a Deer hunt designated as ?Quality? or ?High Demand? in the license year prior to the application. Any hunt choices for a public draw Deer hunt designated as ?Quality? or ?High Demand? on applications submitted by persons holding a public draw ?Quality? or ?High Demand? deer license or permit in the prior year will not be
honored.
Q. Pronghorn Antelope Application Restriction: Any person making application for a public draw Pronghorn Antelope hunt shall not have received a public draw license for a Pronghorn Antelope in the license year prior to the application. Applications submitted by persons holding a public draw Pronghorn Antelope license in the prior year will be rejected.

Yes, I have heard the same thing. Called game and fish office and lady told me that the provision has passed, so if you drew a Q or HD hunt this year, you can't put in for that hunt type this upcoming year. This would also apply to anyone that drew a public Antelope tag. I don't like it, but I guess I'll have to live with it for at least 2 years.

Travis

I guess that means no antelope application for me next year. For the life of me, I still don't understand why the commission has a hard time with upfront tag fees. Almost every western state implements that. In addition, I don't understand why the deer app fee is the only fee collected and not like the other species when drawn.

My guess is that this Q/HD thing will go down the same road the Odd/Even birth year applying did with Oryx a couple years ago. That was scrapped. I guess we'll see.

MBBGH

I don't like the changes either. I wonder what the thought process was behind these changes. I doubt any real improvements in draw odds will occur. I'd prefer to have the opportunity to apply for Q/HD every year rather than increase my odds by 0.5% (or whatever irrelevant percentage increase it will be) and have to wait every other year. Seems like a bad trade to me.
-Raptor

The liberal idiots appointed by "uncle" Bill are doing what liberal idiots do! They sit around thinking of ways of making things fair but there is something serously flawed with their thinking processes or they wouldn't have been appointed by him in the first place!

This is bull and doesn't make any sense because for example I bowhunt mulies down here in 31 (Q) and will now have to sit out from bowhunting and put in for rifle or muzzleloader (S) hunts for the same unit. There were tags left over the past couple years for this hunt, but G&F still calls it a Quality classification. If you ask me it's the bowhunters that are getting the shaft. It doesn't bother me to sit out on elk as I can't draw a tag anyways. Not like sitting out is helping drawing success significantly. I like the fact that our draw system WAS truly the "luck of the draw".

Every state has its system. Learn the system and use it to your advantage.
The way I see this is that I may not draw one year, but, my kids may draw, family member, friend and I still get to go with them.

If I had a buddy that I hunted with I would apply on separate apps and if he draws go with him, if you draw he goes with you and meanwhile apply for not Q/HD hunts on different dates. Some of those can be pretty good.

Been 6-7 years since I drew a antelope tag in NM, and I have NEVER drawn a elk tag in NM. I have hunted LO tags 2x.
Luckily, my kids and friends draw elk tags so I get to go.

hunt1 totally agree. How can a leftover deer tag be Q. I do the same thing. So next year I have to sit out in the area I have put in for and never have drawn because I held a leftover Jan deer tag.

I for one will see if at least these designations will change.

The G&F has done it again. Idiots! Flipping Idiots!

Oh by the way NMPaul that is about the most ignorant post I have seen from you. Cause it sounds like you like the new rules.

It was shown mathmatically that this system will not. I repeat will not have any effect on your odds of drawing. The only thing it does is makes guys that draw Q or HD tags set out one year. After 2 years you odds will be the same as before the new reg.

just now if you do get a Q or HD tag will not have one the following year.

30inch, never said I liked the new rule, only that if they serve up chicken chit try to make chicken salad.

I apply in a lot of states and there are all kinds of systems out there. You can either get frustrated with it or try to find a way to take advantage of it. I was just posting a suggestion on how to make it possibly work out for someone.

There are units I just want to hunt in with my tag or if someone else is carrying the weapon. I was able to hunt on McGregor range this year with someone that had a tag, Otherwise i most likely never would have been able to hunt out there.

If they are calling a unit that has leftover tags HD/Q then that should be changed.

Dig a little deeper, I am sure I have said something more ignorant than that before.

I apply in a lot of states and there are all kinds of systems out there. You can either get frustrated with it or try to find a way to take advantage of it. I was just posting a suggestion on how to make it possibly work out for someone.

Paul...Great Post!
No need to ##### about whats allready took place..Until its fixxed we have to deal with it!
AZ,WY,CO,NM...ALL MAKE MY ODDS A LITTLE BETTER

LAST EDITED ON Dec-11-08 AT 04:48PM (MST)[p]Where does liking the new rules make you ignorant? I drew/hunted/and tagged a HD/Q 34 muzzy tag this year. Would I love to do it again next year, sure, but I like the idea of some buddies of mine having a better chance of drawing after 15 years of trying, too.

To each his own...

DC

THANKS GUYS GLAD TO KNOW. WHAT ABOUT DRAWING ALL FIRST CHOICE APPS FIRST. LIKE IT USE TO BE.NOTICE THEY MUST HAVE LEFT IT WITH JUST APP FEE TO APPLY>GUESS WE'LL JUST KEEP APPLYING GRANDMA AND EVERYONE ELSE WE KNOW.

sounds like it isn;t going to improve drawing odds at all..and in a sense all the people that are getting screwed are the bowhunters. What pisses me off is that all deer bow hunts in january are considered Quality even if there aren't quality deer populations there..and now more and more people are going to be applying for S hunts which will in turn turn them into High Demand hunts..its stupid. and even members of the board know it. Going to be interesting what happens from here

One of two things is going to happen from here....
1. What I figure will happen, is all the hunts will stay at the designation they have right now until someone complains enough to the right person(which will be a bad thing) and hunt designations will ALL become high demand from all the new apps to standard hunt codes....
2. Quite possibly all the codes stay the same because no one wants to figure out what is truly HD and what is not!
Either way the odds of drawing a standard hunt code is going to get worse for all you guys who put a standard hunt as your second and/or third choice in order to "play" the odds game. We just got royally screwed in my not do humble opinion. I just wonder if anyone is going to step up in two years and admit that their rocket scientist or quite possibly engineer idea was a bad one!?!?!?

Hey guys,
The new regs are out on the website with the changes. It looks like the battle was won on upfront fees for certain species. Also with the new Q/HD stuff, that won't take affect till the following year. So if you drew a Q/HD hunt or Antelope in 2008, you can still put in for those hunts this upcoming year.

Travis

GOT TO BE HONEST WITH EVERYONE THEY PROPOSED THE BEST AND MOST FAIR DRAW SYSTEM EVER. IF THEY WOULD HAVE PUT ALL FEES UP FRONT DREW EVERYONE'S FIRST CHOICE FIRST OUR ODDS WOULD HAVE GONE UP 50 TO 75% ON YOUR FIST CHOICE.LOOK AT YOUR UNIT AND FIGURE IT OUT YOU WILL SEE I'M RIGHT.WHAT THEY DID WAS RUIN IT FOR EVERYONE.YOU MIGHT FEEL THE DRAW IS FAIR BUT YOU PROBABLY DRAW TAGS OFTEN. I DO APPLY FOR NON HQ/HD HUNTS 2ND AND 3RD CHOICE AND HAVE ONLY DREW ONE ELK TAG IN SEVEN YEARS.(AND THOSE ARE ALL FOR BOW}EVERYONE DESERVES A TAG ONCE IN A WHILE!!!!!!

the draw is totally fair..there are no bias or any way to increase your odds. everyone has the exact same odds..but what people are complaining isnt going to change the drawing odds. i like the paying up front but its only going to slow down non residents that have to fork up alot more money..and sitting out one year on pronghorn isnt going to do much since the pronghorn system is already messed up..its only going to make land owner tags more expensive since more people are going to be trying to buy some..and sitting out one year on Q and HD hunts is only going to make people apply for more Standard hunts which would make odds even worse for people because of more people applying...so since you havent drawn a tag in so long..dont think these rules is going to change that..better start saving up and buy a landowner tag if it bothers you that much

I wonder if those who think this is such a good idea are going to admit it when they still don't draw for a couple of years. The odds do not change that much for most of the Q/HD units. It doesn't eliminate enough from the pool to amount to squat! So how about it... anyone willing to promise to come back on here in a couple of years and eat crow in front of all of us???

I agree. I think it will come to an end after the 2 year period.

If you were to frequent Archery Talk it would be a "menage a tua".

Oh NO!!! Can't have that now can we?? Just got a little slow lately and I needed a fix..... might just check it out.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom