Area 051 deer hunting question

brownie

Can anyone give me any info on the south end of the Santa Rosas? My number four son drew this tag as his second choice. My oldest son had the tag a couple years ago, he hunted the Buttermilk Area northeast of Hinke. Just wondering if the south end, East or West side of the Santa Rosas gets much pressure?Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks,Brownie

The wilderness area makes up most of the southern portion of the santa rosas unless you are talking about the area immediately surrounding hinkley summit. The wilderness area has a descent deer population. Its a rugged area but once you are up in it you will surely find some deer.

As far as pressure I think the whole range gets hit pretty well with all the tags they give out. i would steer clear of lye creek camp ground area. We did scout some good early season bucks above lye in the basins of Granite Mt. but that whole area is over run by quad hunters that post up in the camp ground. There are still plenty of deer in this range despite what people say. Just need to put in your work. Good luck, Ill be in the same unit this year. Scouting our old spot in 2 weeks. crossing fingers.

Thanks Brandon,we were thinking of Provo and Stonehouse on the east, and Buffalo on the west. My oldest son hunted there about 8 years ago, and saw alot of bucks. He didn't shoot one there, and we haven't been back.
Thanks
Brownie

I have heard good things about stonehouse. Do you have an archery, muzz, or rifle tag? We also saw some ok bucks near buckskin mountain and a bunch of forkys and spikes in the lower lands. Also know of a couple good 3x3s and some 4s in the upper Humboldt drainage down low as well.. we found them drinking water out of a livestock water container. And this was in august so we were finding them in the middle of summer ranging from 6,000ft all the way to 10,000. we got lucky last year and found a good population of mature bucks. Hopefully they are within a mile of where we saw them last year. i know they have been in this particular canyon for a few years so hopefully the 5x4 I missed last year didnt get taken by a rifle hunter in the fall and I can find him again this year.

My youngest son has the tag, he'll be in school at Truckee Meadows in the fall. Thats the reason he put in for that unit, something he could hunt on the weekend, close to Reno.It was his second choice. We appreciate all the help, I have four boys all grown, and three of them drew tags in different zones. So I'm screwed, I also put in for a Wyoming tag with the three oldest, two that drew Nevada. I hope we don't get drawn, cause I'd like to go with all of them in Nevada. O well, thats buck hunting in these times. Thanks, Brownie.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom