AZ Buck head shot

LAST EDITED ON Aug-27-09 AT 05:33PM (MST)[p]I gotta admit when I saw the pics I was shocked that someone would take a head shot with a bow. I've heard of it being done, just never thought of it myself.

When I see or hear of animals being killed by head shots, long distance shots etc.....it makes me think the hunter/shooter was more interested in making the kill than anything. Makes me wonder why not wait for a better shot? Why not get closer? I just had a buddy kill a buck at 80 yards, my first thought was Why? 80 yards? Why didn't you get closer? Maybe some guys are just too driven by the need to kill they don't get the whole picture.

Just my opinion.

It's not that you killed, it's how.

4a97416242fb2701.jpg

4a9741a044926926.jpg

not mine but it happens thats hunting what do you think game birds feel like flying 1000 miles with a hand full of bb's in it to all those who hunt birds and think this shot is unethical your a hippacrite

Dirtnap,

How far was the shot? Was he alert & looking at you, or relaxed and feeding? Did you know the exact range (rangefinder)? Was it an impulsive or split-second decision to shoot or did you have a bit to calm yourself & execute the shot? Sounds like you're a pretty accomplished archer and I think all these questions factor in. Reason why I say this is todays archery equipment is capable of some pretty amazing things! I've watched on you tube a guy put 10 out of 10 arrows into a block target at 200 yards! Look at what the olympic and professional archers are doing with the same equipment you & I have access to. Kind of like golf. I can buy the same driver Tiger woods uses, he just uses it better-ALOT BETTER! Would I try it-no, but who am I to say that someone that believes he can shouldn't. If there is even the slightest hesitation or doubt, then your chances of making an already TOUGH shot are very slim. To each his own. Congrats on a great buck man.

Nate

Great buck dirtnap, and great shot. Everyone keeps saying what if the buck moved or jumped the string, the fact is he didnt and he died quick. I personally think some of you guys were way out of line espicially you BuzzH. Telling a guy hunting is not for them and calling him names? I just dont understand why people are being so judgemental.
congrats again dirtnap

i shot a buck straight up the nostril i mean exactly straight up the nostril not where i aimed but it did the job buried 14 inches of shaft in him bled like crazy and didnt go far aybe 80 yards i have hit bucks to far back and never recovered them broadside shot have a big margin of error straight on shots provide a lot of vital impacts such as brain spine juggular etc. these new high tech bows add a lot more succes to these shots imo
i think there are certain circumstances where it may be ethical.dont let anyone give ya crap. i know of a lot of guys who made this shot and often times drop the buck in its tracks with shots like this and come to think of it i dont recall hearing many unrecovered stories personally on head shots. i know several guys that prefer a straight on neck shot and have killed mayn deer with it. thats there personal opinion and its gotten the job done. i can think of otns of stories of braodsides that have went unrecovered.

>I as a hunter don't find
>this offending and want to
>congratulate you on a nice
>buck, but I do see
>this ending up on an
>anti-hunting video somewhere where some
>60 year old lady in
>Des Moines or some 19
>year old will see it
>and form their own opinion
>about hunters.
>
>
>This is how the antis use
>it:
>
>http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/demand-youtube-to-stop-the-snuff-and-hunting-videos
>
>
>
>
>"Bowhunting head shot
>
>
>
>**
>
>There are so many videos with
>really horrific description and it
>upsets me that I have
>to see it under "deer"
>or "fawn" where many of
>my deer family videos
>are uploaded and I am
>sure others feel the same
>
>
>Please sign the petition and the
>more people we get the
>better "
>
>
>
>
>I personally also prefer the chest
>shot rather then the head
>due to the odds.
>There is just too much
>chance of this occurring and
>making the news, which then
>makes all hunters look bed.
>
>
>http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/18370509/detail.html
>"Deer With Arrow In Nose Euthanized"
>
>
>
>
>
>I think you got lucky this
>time, but I think your
>confidence in archery headshots is
>overrated. There is a
>reason that in any hunters
>safety course around the country,
>that they mention, never take
>head shots (among others) with
>bows.

these people are the sick ones they feel animals have more rights than people,they are saying i hope the sadistic hunters die a cruel death.that is sick!!! posting stuff like that on here gives them ground imo, im not steppin on eggshells to please them that how you lose your ground. those people have a short in there brain and who cares what they think on shots like this they will never get it.thye coannot be convince that hunting is better than an animal overpopulating and starving to death. people like that build hiomes in subdivisdion that destroy vital summer and winter ranges they do more harm than hunters ever will. thats ground that will never be used for food again. it brings animals closer to roads in search of food which in turn becomes roadkill as well. now starving and roadkill are a waste of the animal. ill bet there is more raodkill than unrecovered deer every year.

A lot of you guys are missing the point. Any decent archer could probably hit a deer in the head. The problem is, there is a lot of area on the head that won't result in an immediate kill. One inch off and you might hit him in the muzzle, break his jaw, bust all his teeth out, or even blind him without causing an immediate death. Have some respect for the animal...

Had to revisit this post after hunting this weekend. Got to 20 yd's on a nice 4x4 that had already shed his velvet. The only shot he gave me was a head shot, vitals were always covered by a bush. In the long run, I had to let him walk away. Couldn't take the chance of trying to put the arrow through the bush...Wasn't as nice as AZdirtnaps deer. But was still a shooter and I'm glad that I let him walk away. But still pissed he didn't walk into my shooting lane.

Wasnt able to post earlier but I read just about every response. Glad the judges made it back in to critique this hunters "ethics."
I loved the responses about national magazines the anti hunters etc etc. I have said it before I am sick of a few things. # 1 this becoming a rich mans game.
# 2. Caving in to the pressure from anti groups and enviro"mental"ists.
Listen The guy and I dont remember who Mr. Self righteous was but shot a bull elk. Uh big gaping hole in the side there pal? Just becuase your arrow wasnt showing didnt make it less dead and appalling to the anti hunters.
We are now living in the world of lets hide what we do becuase we are scared those that dont, that they will say something we dont like and scare us even more. Really? Im sick of hunters appologizing. Why should we, we manage, conserve pump money into the economy etc etc.
As far as ethics, geeze cmon. Who made you people the absolute word on ethics? I love people in glasss houses I really do, theyre full of crap.
I personally would probably not have taken a shot like taht but then again if I was confident of my shooting maybe I would. I paid for the tag or got drawn, I hunt and if im confident in taht shot take it. So what. This is what Antis love. Most people dont listen to their garbage but they listen to your bickering if you give em a chance.
Great job on the deer! Maybe the othewrs will get theirs this year after walking on some water for us all and sending the pics to MM.
BUgler

-# 2. Caving in to the pressure from anti groups and -enviro"mental"ists.

-We are now living in the world of lets hide what we do becuase we -are scared those that dont, that they will say something we dont -like and scare us even more.

I agree and disagree. I could give two sheets about what anti-hunters think or say. They wont change, their morons and they don't matter. But - the vast majority of this country is not pro or anti hunting and if we loose them to the other side, we are screwed. Its those that don't hunt and are not against hunting that we need to keep on our side (or indifferent).

Last year some moron shot a doe in the head east of Denver and it was running around neighborhoods with an arrow in its face. That story was in the post with pictures and that is very bad for the hunting community.

I am not the photo or ethics police and my opinion is head shot are a bad idea.

Since the dawn of the industrial age in this country people have become what we see today in this country. Call it political correctness or whatever.
Becuase we package out meat in the grocery stores and buy hamburgers at Mcdonalds, kids think that is where it comes from.
I think the people in this country are somewhat dumbed down. I realize everyone doesnt like to see a deer in the back of a truck. Or pictures of an animal with some blood on it. I dont like to see plastic balls hangin off of trucks so what.
When we begin to appologoze or sanitize what we do all of the time it cheapens it, it blurs the reality of mortality not only for wildlife but for our own human race.
Lets look at it in a different way. When I was a high school kid we watched films of car wreck footage about what can happen when you drive like an imbecile. Blood everywhere etc etc.
They dont show that stuff anymore for fear of some kid getting their fragile senibilities bruised. Why hide things it is a reality. If someone does not want to look at it then by all means dont look.
If people knew what happened in a slaughterhouse would they stop eating burgers or steaks? Maybe a few I dont know but the vast majority would not.
The reality of the situation is just as I stated if they dont want to see it dont look. Dead is dead, dead is bloody, so on and so forth. Im sure that the picture shown here wont be a trophy photo on the wall of his home, albeit interesting enough and his tag was filled. I have never taken a shot at the head I have always been able to either make the shot or not. But I am not going to police this hunters actions in this incident.
And I dont clean up my pictures to much I like to remember the hunt as it happened, keep it real that way. If I wanted to remember it another way I guess I would use a camera.
The biggest undoing of the hunting community is the bickering and infighting amongst ourselves about issues such as this. Prior to Hunt ed classes in the political correct world hunters relishes in seeing the photogrpahs of deer in the back of trucks and on hoods of their granpas 37 ford.
Oh and I dont really care too much to have pictures in some mag i guess so i can beat my chest along with the other gods.
JD

Man, I cant beleive I just read all this crap! Nice Deer dude! Congratulations. Lets all not forget... HUNTING IS A BLOODSPORT (and there was definately some blood!LOL) Also, lets not forget... thats a DEAD friggin deer! Not a wounded deer, not a deer walkin around with an arrow in it, not a deer who couldnt eat because his jaw was broke (well, I guess hes not eating now!). And did he hit it in the "vitals"? Heck ya he hit it in the vitals, ITS FRIGGIN DEAD! Not a shot that I would have taken... because there is no way in heck I could have made it! BUT HE DID! Congratulations! And just think. If that deer had survived... It may have opened up a blind school for all those other deer walkin around with arrows in their eyes!

Bugler: Your posts are so assbackwards that they really don't deserve a response. I will just say this. If you want to go shoot game in the head, the face, the ass, the guts or the nutsack, feel free to do so. All of those shots will probably ultimately result in death, then you and all of your buddies can take pictures, laugh, and show them to your other buddies to show them how badass you are. But keep your ridiculous pictures and stories to yourself. Posting them on a public website puts at risk my right to continue hunting for the next several years and, most importantly, for my kids to do so. Unlike you, who characterizes hunting as nothing but a "rich man's sport," it is important to me to pass this along to my kids and my nephews. Your simpleminded "F the antis" strategy may sound great after 10 Bud Lites, but it does absolutely nothing to preserve already dwindling interest in and support for hunting.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-04-09 AT 07:46PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Sep-04-09 AT 07:44?PM (MST)

HEY ,AZDIRTBAG, AGAIN MY QUESTION IS ,IF YOU ARE THE AWESOME SHOT YOU ARE ,THAT YOU WOULD TAKE A HEAD SHOT ,WHY NOT SHOOT FOR THE VITALS,LUNGS AND HEART.GO AHEAD AND SAY SOME MORE STUPID SHITT ABOUT SHOOTING AN APPLE OFF MY HEAD.HOWEVER, YOURE LAME COMMENTS DONT MAKE YOU ANY LESS OF A FUKKKKKING SCUMBAG THAT YOU ALREADY ARE .AND AS WELL,ANY PRO TEAM YOU SHOOT FOR SHOULD BE EMBARSSSED ABOUT YOU ,YOURE ACTIONS AND THIS POST.ANYTIME YOU YOU WANT TO HAVE THAT OPPORTUNITY TO MEET ME AND GET YER APPLE SHOT IN,LET ME KNOW ,I WILL BE THERE.

Wags, is that you? Sounds like you.

You paid for the tag, do whatever.

I've found elk/deer with blown off jaws, dead and alive, javis with arrows stuck in their mouths so that every time they try to eat the broadhead continues to cut inside the mouth. Good to finally see a successful attempt, one more animal I don't have to put down illegaly.

'Headed' out to do some scouting. I'll keep an 'eye' out.

Kent

KRP Are you for real, after reading your post i think you are as big of a moron as the dude that shot it. WOW

LAST EDITED ON Sep-05-09 AT 03:18PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Sep-05-09 AT 03:10?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Sep-05-09 AT 02:56?PM (MST)

Hogblower, just a few things there tough guy. # 1 your "right" to hunt isnt. # 2 maybe you shoiuld stick to crochet or community organizing to placate the palates of the anti hunting groups you would be a great liazon.
# 3 I dont drink. # 4 I only hunt with excellent hunters, the best I've ever been around. And I have guided hunters in AZ, NM, Mex ETC so ive been around a few.
# 5 I never said I would take that shot never have. I must have hurt your soft heart with my message to the antis. That is the one thing youre right about I could give a dark shiite in the woods about them.
I dont appologize it's a sign of weakness, and this is why your lose your priveleges to hunt, that and the jackfs that do drink while they hunt and litter etc etc.
I've seen hunters shoot animals with a stick and string form less than 40m yards. Shoot em in the ass, the hump, the sheath, legs hooves jaws eyes, you name it Ive seen hunters shoot em everywhere. Now is that less or more ethical just becuase the animal was broadside and they were "aiming at the vitals." Hell so was the hunter in this case.
As far as seeing pictures on the "public" sites. You can always shut your eyes and shield your kids or whatever you want, I could care less.
When you think hunting is sanitary your wrong. Get a life teach without fear and dont appologize for reality in hunting. I aint saying lets all take the goriest pictures and put them up, but get real. If you like taking pictures of animals that are asleep go to the zoo, or better yet go to a penned upm texas ranch with a dart gun. That way the animal lives you are less and animal yourself and there is minimal blood to see.
As far as being ass backwards? Again it isnt your right, go back to hunter ed or maybe you teach it I dunno and dont care, I dont shove my hunting views down the throats of antis however they do just the opposite to me and my children.
As far as taking great pictures, im usually a long ways from being able to take great unbloody photos because i usually have to pack it out prior to the pictures so I can only clean it up so much.
SO the point of all this there Hoglover, is that we lose ground becuase of the constant infighting and stone throwing.
YOu want to placate the antis go ahead. As for me and mine we wont I could care less what they think, do you think they care about how you feel on their issues? Get real.

Oh and one more thing, you think that hunting isnt becoming a rich mans sport? Ha give me a break pleeeeeeese. Just read some of the other threads here and tell me it hasnt become more taht way.
I aint rich financially by any stretch, I have worked since I was 16 and do so so that my kids too can hunt. The dwindling support as you put it isnt support its interest. loss of interest becuase of so many more reasons, but it isnt becuase of bloody pictures.
I was with my 10 year old son this year when he shot his first deer. He learned some valuable lessons about life at a young age. Stuff that the santized classroom cannot teach, like mortality and that the death a firearm or other weapon can cause is extrememly real and permanent. My oldest child is 17 and a senior this year. She has taken several AZ big game animals and will continue the heritage to her children I am utmost sure of. Everyone in my family hunts save one daughter, I have four. My wife even hunts and she didnt when I met her, she was among the majority of the country, not anti just didnt hunt.
I dont intentionally offend anyone but if they do get offended, I will not appologize for what I do. I dont post my pictures, I dont care about bragging on my hunts or myself, it's my hunt or my familys hunt thats all and the pictures are for us. Further more I dont need any of the weak minded self appointed outdoor judges on here giving me any gum service about how I should "clean" it up so its more acceptable. Anyways enough of that I am going out to look at the 13 bull elk in my front yard. And have a Saturday cup of coffee. It's September in my mountain home and I am wasting my time here tryting to explain why I live my life the way I do in hopes others will take some time to reflect on their belief system.
See ya.

Way to hang in there AZdirtnap!
I may not take a shot like that but that is me.
You pulled it off and the buck is dead.
End of story.
BTW, did the knock pop off on impact?
You other folks should quit telling others how to hunt.
p.s. I dont need a lecture in ethics.
The buck is dead!! No more "what if..", oh.."the antis.."

Jeff

LAST EDITED ON Sep-05-09 AT 11:36PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Sep-05-09 AT 11:34?PM (MST)

>KRP Are you for
>real, after reading your post
>i think you are as
>big of a moron as
>the dude that shot it.
> WOW

Yep, what's not real about my statement?

Do you disbelieve I've found and put down animals horribly wounded in the face, even though it is illegal to do so without a tag and out of season?

Do you disbelieve that I'm happy the deer was killed this time so I don't have to maybe find another?

Do you disbelieve I went scouting?

Do you feel I have no right to ask out of curiousity if this new poster with no profile is someone who used to post under a different name, I didn't refer anything negative about it.

Do you feel sarcasm has no place on MM?

Do you just feel I'm a moron from general principle, sounds like my wife.

Kent

shoot'm in the face - SHOOT"M in the face - seems kinda stupid too me but each to his own ! what part of AZ you from hick ville

I cant believe the lack of respect the OP has for wild game, bowhunting and his fellow archers! Furthermore, I cant frikin believe how many people on this site think its ok to intentionally shoot for the head. Ive bowhunted long enough to know that sometimes sh>t happens and the outcome isnt always what we like. It used to be a few nuts saying 100 yard bow shots and 1000 yard rifle shots were ethical, now its ok for archery head shots? Sickining lack of ethics. The future of hunting is not too bright if the attitudes on this thread have become the norm.
48461bbc1c983664.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom