AZ HAM Javelina area 18A

T

Tsessions

Going Javelina hunting for the first time ever! (and also hunting Arizona for the first time). I drew a 18A HAM hunt, can someone please point me in the right direction on where to start looking for pigs. I am not looking for a honey hole or anything but just an idea of where to start, since this will be my first pig hunt. Any advice will help me out. Thank you!

My advice is to use some local talent who might just know where the pigs are at. OR go to G&F website and see what they offer.

That is a big unit, lots of country with NO pigs.

Contact me at [email protected] if you're looking for some professional help!

Don Martin
Arizona Wildlife Outfitters

Here ya go. Straight from AZ G&F. Should be enough to get you started. -TONY

Javelina
Overview: Javelina are relatively plentiful across Unit 18A, but can be difficult to actually get a look at during the February general season. They are much easier to find during the January archery hunt. Many of the herds observed during winter wildlife surveys are located in the higher elevations, frequently in relatively dense Pinyon-Juniper country. Hunters need to preseason scout areas to learn where javelina are present. Check as many water holes as you can. You will likely find sign around them even in the winter. Set up and hunt nearby. Depending on the vegetation type in the areas you hunt, glassing can be vital to success. Tracking javalina is another method that can get you close to a herd. Sitting on a water hole with plentiful sign can also be productive. Random calling with a predator or javelina call will sometimes produce a shot. If you don't find sign in any particular area, just keep looking.

Areas: Javelina are spread all across Unit 18A from the lower desert country on the west end to the higher Pinyon-Juniper country and grassland fringe on the east side. The Knight Creek drainage is usually good as are the Trout Creek, the Big Sandy, and Wright Creek areas. The Willow Creek drainage contains many herds, some in higher Pinyon-Juniper country as well as along I-40. There are javelina throughout the Cottonwood Cliffs. Cross Mountain, the Juniper and Black mountains are all good for javelina. The Denny Ranch area holds many javelina as well. Extreme care should be exercised in picking hunting locations as much of this unit is subdivided and remote housing is common.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom