Bare minimum Sat phone

Wiszard

Long Time Member
I was thinking I need a Sat phone for my Wy elk hunt. You guys ever rent one? Whats the most minimum Sat phone that is able to text out without spending an arm and a leg. I wouldn't use it much as I don't spend a ton of time out of cell service. Any suggestions would be great.

I was thinking I need a Sat phone for my Wy elk hunt. You guys ever rent one? Whats the most minimum Sat phone that is able to text out without spending an arm and a leg. I wouldn't use it much as I don't spend a ton of time out of cell service. Any suggestions would be great.
Iridium min plan is 90 bucks for 40 min..6mo .Sub.. that's for a Iridium Go.. it has text and phone and internet data. It's basically a wifi hot spot.. pretty cool.
Device is 900.00.

Steve, we have rented them on occasion, back when we were hunting Alaska/Canada etc. We rented from a home grown outfit in Salt Lake City. The rent was quit reasonable, around $250 -$300 for 7 or 8 days, as I recall. I can’t remember what the charge per minute of usage was but it wasn’t unreasonable. The per minute charge is incidental to make or receiving a call that’s important enough to justify having the phone in camp. IMO.

I can see if Scott remembers the guy we rented it from, if you’d like.

If you’re just looking to text, is there any benefit of a sat phone to a garmin inreach or a zolio?

Zoleo has a device too, $200 for device, SOS, text via sat (Iridium), wifi or cell, whichever is available and multiple plans. Text via your phone linked to your phone. Pretty slick, but I guess a sat phone would be too.
Great minds think alike, haha. We posted pretty much the same thing at the same time.

Bought Zoleo earlier this year, used it once so far on Wilderness archery hunt. Wifey was happy to hear from me and know I can hit SOS anywhere in world, should I break my leg, etc.

I've used a Spot device for several years. I wish I had had it long time ago. Device itself is clunky, If I had it to do over, I would go with the Inreach. I was being cheap when I got it.

I have an Iridium 9555 I’ll sell you cheap.
I am leaning towards Zoleo. It is something that I really will only use on one hunt this year....possibly two. I have not needed it before so I don't really want to spend more than necessary, you know?

Quit Being a TIGHT-ASS Wisz!

What You Think You're Saving Will Be Appreciated When Me & Ms Wisz Go On a Spending SPREE While You're Gone!:D

I am leaning towards Zoleo. It is something that I really will only use on one hunt this year....possibly two. I have not needed it before so I don't really want to spend more than necessary, you know?

Where you are headed, you will have surprisingly good cell reception.

Where in Wyoming is your hunt?

Satellite Messenger - supreme - small - light - cheap - no plan required - first year FREE!!
Motorola Defy hands down, cheapest, best, coms for backcountry w/SOS rescue
Backed by Motorola - $ 150 US Dollars...

Hey Wisz!

You're Gonna Be Hunting/Vacationing!

Leave The Damn Phone Home & Shut The Damned Thing Off!

You Can Turn It Back On When You Get Back Home!

I'll be in 94 around Middle Piney Lake....maybe a few miles south and north of that. What do you think service will be like with AT and T? Thanks Steve.

I'll be in 94 around Middle Piney Lake....maybe a few miles south and north of that. What do you think service will be like with AT and T? Thanks Steve.
Probably wont have coverage at camp but you wont have to go too far to get text coverage. I have ATT and have had little trouble finding coverage spots on ridgelines in that part of the State.

Steve, we have rented them on occasion, back when we were hunting Alaska/Canada etc. We rented from a home grown outfit in Salt Lake City. The rent was quit reasonable, around $250 -$300 for 7 or 8 days, as I recall. I can’t remember what the charge per minute of usage was but it wasn’t unreasonable. The per minute charge is incidental to make or receiving a call that’s important enough to justify having the phone in camp. IMO.

I can see if Scott remembers the guy we rented it from, if you’d like.
I have rented Satellite phones from I think the same place in Salt Lake City. It’s called Skycall Communications. It is a business in the basement of a house. The guy rents every kind of satellite device you might want to use. I own an Inreach, but still rent a Satellite phone from time to time. I think the cost goes down the longer you rent it, but it was about $87 for 7 days and then calls cost $1.90 per minute on top of that if I remember correctly.

I have rented Satellite phones from I think the same place in Salt Lake City. It’s called Skycall Communications. It is a business in the basement of a house. The guy rents every kind of satellite device you might want to use. I own an Inreach, but still rent a Satellite phone from time to time. I think the cost goes down the longer you rent it, but it was about $87 for 7 days and then calls cost $1.90 per minute on top of that if I remember correctly.
That is a steal….

I've used the inReach for years but the cost to turn it off/on and the monthly fee is starting to make me look into other options. Still way better than a phone though if you just want to send messages out and location updates. I am curious if anyone has used both the inReach and Zoleo? Does Zoleo have a feature where you can turn service on/off or do you pay monthly no matter what?

The Zoleo you can pause you service I believe its for four months. Its nice because it blue tooth to your phone and you just text from you phone like normal. It clips to a d ring on you pack. You can text and receive texts while you hike. I have the inreach on my Garmin Alpha 200i but the Zoleo I had first and I am use to it easy to use.

I've used sat phone, Inreach and spot. Hands down Zoleo is the way to go . Links easily to your cell phone for texting. Great weather app comes with it as well. Device is cheap and plans start at $20/mo and can be canceled when you don't need it. No Brainer imo. The SOS is just smart .

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom