barrel break in

wallhanger

First off, is it necessary on a new rifle? Second, if it is, how do I do it? I've always just taken it to the range and sighted it in, then cleaned it. I want to take care of this new baby, so any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

WH

In short, what is the difference between a break in vs no break in? I broke in mine to Shilen instructions but always wondered why? I just did it because it sounded good I guess?

KTC... I like to break in My Shilan and Hart barrels with the shoot and clean...As per factory instructions but for out of the box rifles-- I -- think it doesn't matter that much..may help with getting the copper out when kleaning a little quicker...:RIMROCK

I always break in my barrels. I have only one custom barrel/gun with a Lilja barrel. The Lilja cleans easier for sure, but my factory barrels out shoot it. I shoot 50 single shots and total powder, copper clean each shot. Then three shots for 21, then 5 shots for 30 with the heaviest bullet for the caliber I can get and clean each series. Just shoving bullets down the barrel. Yes it does make a difference. IMO

Just a guess here, but I'm thinking the break in period of 50 - 100 or so rounds, including the barrel swabbing, takes the fine burrs and imperfections out of the riflings leaving you a smoother and more "seasoned" bore...ie., better accuracy.
As far as accuracy, I suppose you might get the same results after 100 rounds or so simply shooting the rifle, it would just take longer and may not be as clean and complete of a job.
I've done my Shilen .220 swift and my factory .300 RUM following Shilen guidelines and they are both tack drivers.
Where's RELH, he'd have the real scoop I'd bet.

I didn't do anything but start shooting my shilen and it's a tack driver. RELH has already lectured me about it too.

JB

LAST EDITED ON Jan-07-07 AT 06:32PM (MST)[p]Yea!!! I sent D13er to the corner of the room wearing a dunce cap for a time out period. still did not do any good, he is still hard headed as he ever was.
I do believe that breaking in a barrel will help most barrels. It will burnish the lands and grooves and result in a barrel that is easier to clean, and will not copper foul as easy.
As for accuracy, it will help by not allowing the barrel to copper foul as easy as a barrel with rough spots will. It is the copper fouling that forms that will destroy the barrels accuracy further down the line. If you get a poorly built barrel, no breaking in will help it.
As for D13er's tack driver, I will wait until the copper fouling builds up and he looses his tack driving abilities. Then I will say, "I TOLD YOU SO BUT YOU WOULD NOT LISTEN".
I hope that copper fouling will come soon in his gun, just in case he is thinking about firing a shot at me, he just might miss me.
There is hope for D-13er, he did listen to my rantings and bought a Shilen barrel for his tack driver.

RELH

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom