bear attacks in Utah

K

killroy

LAST EDITED ON Sep-02-09 AT 05:38PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Sep-02-09 AT 05:26?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Sep-02-09 AT 05:21?PM (MST)

I see that there has been another bear attack in Utah. People are being attacked in their tents and threatened in their own back yards. Because you can find a bear in every campground in the state of Utah, I am sure the DWR and the Utah houndsman association think that their management plan is a success. I'll bet the people who have been attacked have a different oppinion. I personally feel that the bear management in this state is a dissaster. They started with the draw system, which is a failure to begin with and has only gotten worse year after year.

What scares me is that now the lion management plan is very similar plan. I wonder what kind of horror stories we will be hearing about lion attacks in ten years. As long as there is a lion under every tree so that the weekend warriors can go out and tree a lion easily and then come back to town and brag about how good their dogs are, the DWR and their buddies, the 400 members of the Utah Houndsman Assoc. can pat themselves on the back for creating a great plan.

I hope that Mr. Downard, the man who was attacked by a bear last week, sues the heck out of the DWR because of the way they have managed the bear in this state. I hope he wins millions!!!

Yeah...its horrible out there killroy, all sorts of wild beasties...you better stay in the big city where you'll be safe....Oh, and are you that guys laywer? hopein he'll get a big settlment so you can get your 80% cut of it ???

Cool , a bear in every campground , and a lion under every tree . I guess I need to keep my eyes open , and watch out .

I dont know if you signed up to just be a troll or what, but..

It's amazing i have been able to camp so long in bear country with no problems. i am not saying crap dont happen, but if idiots would take it seriously that they are in bear country, and put food away there wouldn't be as many problems.

Its funny how people in rural communities have lived with bears and the dreaded lion there whole lives, but as soon as there is a population near SLC everyone in in danger, odd.

If there is a lion under every tree for the weekend warriors as you call us I challenge you to get just one picture of lion laying under a tree then we can talk about all the lion. As for the bear there has never been more people out in the woods as there is right know. A fair amount of these people have no clue as to what there really is out there. The bear are not coming to us we are going to them. Go up diamond fork in the winter a look at all the idiots that are marching up the road in the middle of the winter looking for the hot springs in fifth water. These people have on tennis shoes and light jackets for a six mile hike in the snow.

"I hope that Mr. Downard, the man who was attacked by a bear last week, sues the heck out of the DWR because of the way they have managed the bear in this state. I hope he wins millions!!!"

Keep me posted on how his lawsuit works out, cuz I would like to sue the DWR for that damn deer that walked in front of my old '92 Ford hunting truck.

I need a new pickup, so maybe the DWR will buy me one. That SFW is at fault for allowing deer to live, never would have got my truck wrecked if all the deer were gone. I hope you people are happy with your deer management plan. Now I have a dented fender!

Time to Get Gephart I guess.

Can you imagine anyone from Alaska reading a post like that? LOL.

A bear attack would be the back page story up there. Probably mentioned in the Crime Blotter section in the fourth paragraph. :)

It's a big bad world out there folks... go prepared and don't be afraid to pull the trigger if it comes to that. Bang bang.

The initial post is either from a "troll" or from someone who is inexperienced or emotionally involved.

The point that a disproportionately-small number of sportsmen (houndsmen) have been unwisely (from an overall ecological and economic standpoint) been (successfully) influencing for greater numbers of lions (at least in Idaho) is true.

Within the shadows, go quietly.

:D

4aa00d14712a53fe.gif

4aa00d41728f6f71.jpg

4aa00d8a76223bf4.jpg

4aa00da776bf7f2f.jpg

Funny story from hunting elk in the roadless area of the Book Cliffs last week.

We came in on the north trail head and there was a kid there that said a couple of guys on horses came out saying a bear really messed up their camp. We didn't think much of it. Wouldn't you know....their camp was right where we planed to camp. Talk about total bear devastation. They left pretty much everything there, their tent,sleeping bags, chairs, stove...everything. We even found a pair of binoculars down the trail from camp. They must have got the hell out of there pretty quick. That damn bear destroyed everything. The only thing he left was a case of Natural Light...pretty funny. We did find food iside their tent. I did think it was pretty wierd that they left their whole camp there. Didn't bother to pick up trash or pack anything out. I hope they come back and haul everything out. If a bear did that to my camp it would be pretty hard not to pay him back.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-03-09 AT 04:57PM (MST)[p]LOL....I meant rough him up when he messed my camp up :)

Good responses so far. I think there are sooo many bear and lion in the big scary mountains that every one else should stay home.
I will take my chances with a bear or lion anyday over a trip to the big city, now that is scary.

Nice pictures of a lion under a tree.

Anyone who has been a houndsman for 18 years like I have, has seen where alot of lions have laid under trees.

I guess I should have explained myself better. I am an outfitter and guide. Have been a houndsman for 18 years and have been guiding lion hunts for the past 8 years with almost a 50% success rate. Last year I brought in 20 out of state hunters. This year I already have 15 booked and almost that many resident hunters who would like me to take them hunting. I am glad the division has given us more areas to take out of state hunters, like the Paunsaugunt and Manti units.

I am totally against using draw tags to manage wildlife when you are talking little numbers like our lions and bear units. It does not work. I am not a lawyer but if I was I would take this mans case for free, just to have the pleasure of sueing the DWR.

If a bear messed with my camp I would say something really rude to it and hurt it's feelings. I hear they are kind of sensitive that way.
I should not joke we are packing in on a mule deer hunt in region G (in about 12 days) and there are Grizzly bears there. Now they are not as sensitive and gentle as their smaller relitives.
Bottom line is we are in there home when we go out there and I like their home so I guess I'll just show them a little respect and keep my food sealed and stowed and keep my distance (unless I have a tag).
I read something the other day about a shark attack somewhere and everyone was up in arms about all the sharks. I also read sharks kill 5-10 humans a year. BUT humans kill hundreds of thousands of sharks a year. I like our odds.
Let the bears be bears and the sharks be sharks, we screwed there world up enough.

So killroy, tell me if i have this straight. You want to sue the dwr because mr downard floated the green river into the middle of the bookcliffs.miles into the backcountry. and was attacked by a bear that the dwr had failed to kill to keep him safe?

I guess with that kind of logic I should get busy with my lawsuit against the BLM for having jagged rocks that hurt me when I fell down . While I'm at it I should probably sue U.D.O.T. for having all those little pebbles on the road that have given my truck rock chips .

Killroy mentioned that if he was a lawyer he would handle the case for free , so he could sue the DWR . I have a feeling he wouldn't be a very good lawyer .

I think you are right if I tried to make a living as a lawyer I would starve. It is a good thing there are a lot of out of state hunters who want to hunt lions in Utah so I can make a living at something I am good at. Also I need a sub guide that knows the Manti units if anyone is interested

LAST EDITED ON Sep-04-09 AT 06:54PM (MST)[p]Even if I knew the manti units well, you could not possibly pay me enough to go sub-guide there. They have man eating bears and lions there. What are ya? Goofy?

why are ya waiting for a subguide for manti?...theres still 16 harvest objective units still open now.Get after it an get some lions killed. Your a pro...not some lousy weekend warrior that needs a lion under every tree so there lousy dogs can catch one. I can tell from reading your posts that you and your dogs are so good you should be able to round up quite a few in the dirt...your not just waiting for it to snow??????are you?????

Bears and lions?? In this state? I'm 32 and have never even seen a lion or a bear in the wild and I probably spend more time in the hills than the people that are getting attacked by these predators. Not sure what all the fuss is about? More and more people take to the hills every year + we are developing more and more of their habitat = More human encounters. Like someone mentioned already, go prepared and don't be afraid to pull the trigger. As long as the wolves stay out of this state, I'll be just fine sharing the forest with the bears and lions. My 44 mag and the 300 ultra mag take good care of me in the hills.

it was posted earlier, but your problem is greed and greed alone!if you are who you say you are, you hate the draw because it limits your income,

the draw system works very well from what i have seen, without much effort i average guy can find a bear or lion,

as for the attacks, well lets be a little smarter about how we camp.

1 cooking 4 lbs of bacon on a grill outside your tent, is usually not a good thing

2 filling your tent and sleeping bag with munchies is another bad idea

educate your selves when camping in the back country, get your garbage in a tree, get food out of the tents! it is not hard.

last fall we hunted the books and stayed in tents, EVERY SINGLE morning we had fresh bear sign in our camp, and we survived. WOW

even though i did put bacon grease on dads tent flaps!

as for suing the DWR, that was tried last year remember, how'd that work out?

live life one mule deer at a time.

sounds like the camp that got bear-jacked and they left everything the way it was is so they could take some-one(DWR) back in to see the camp as it was after getting jacked up by a Mean-ass Blackie.That what I think but who knows they might of called it quits on the hunt in backcountry.(NOTE:) start watching KSL classifies to see if horsepacking packs come up or a slightly used bunch of camping equipment FOR SALE.LOL

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom