Best Boots Out There

B

bigboney

I wanted to know what other MM-users thought was the best boot on the market....for the price, comfort and durability?

I currently use the Cabelas Meindl Denali boot, but this is my 4th pair in 4 years and I seem to wear them out pretty fast. Going through a pair of boots every year is getting pricey!
In the past I've seen other boot threads and also youtube videos, but paying $400 for a pair of boots is almost out of the question if they aren't going to last more than a year.

Please post your thoughts, ideas on some better boots or how I can keep my boots in working condition longer than a year

LAST EDITED ON Sep-19-12 AT 07:44PM (MST)[p]I really like Danner's. I've owned 2 pairs and they are very comfortable and have lasted several hunting seasons in which I do ALOT of hiking.

I have to agree with the danners. I love them and when you have to buy new boots every year I can't justify the three and four hundred dollar pair. I use leather preservative after all hunting/shed hunting trips and it prolongs the life much more. Anyway +1 on the danners!!

I have those and If you are wearing out a pair a year ......holy cow!!!!!

Try kennetreck or lathrop and sons. If those don't do it then just realize that you spend way more time hunting than most and enjoy it. I go through new tires in my Honda accord every year but that's cause I go 45-50k miles a year. No matter which kind I drive they all wear out when they go round and round that much. Catch my drift? Good luck. Let me know when you hit a home run as I like but not love my denalis.

"That's a special feeling, Lloyd"

If your looking for durability I would stick with the Meindle boots. I wore Danners for years and they were great for one season and the best boot to hit the steep country right out of the box without breaking them in. However they just don't hold up more than one season if you use them hard. My hunting buddies and I have all switched over to the Meindle boot and they last much longer and take twice the abuse as any other boots we have worn.

Zamberlan!

Don't waste your money on kennetrek. They are a beast to break in, you can't resole them.

Traditional >>>------->

>Zamberlan!
>
>Don't waste your money on kennetrek.
>They are a beast to
>break in, you can't resole
>them.
>
>
>Traditional >>>------->

The break in with my Kenetrek boots was not a beast at all. After three years of hunting (mostly backpacking), I am nowhere close to wearing down the sole.

That's just my experience and thought I would share.

I tried kenetreks (uninsulated) a couple years back and you couldn't give me another pair. Always had a burning sensation on the bottom of my feet when hiking. Started wearing them in May to get them broke in, 1 month into the hunts the sole came off. Sent them back to resoled at a cost of $100.00, 2wks later sole came off again. They now take up space in the dead boot pile. A total waste of well over $400.00.

Trying a pair of Crispi boots now, so far so good.

Since everyone's feet are different, our experiences will all be different. I do really well with Kenetrek and Asolo. Danners not as well for me. I have had good luck with some montrails as well. Good luck to you

Dannner's are junk.. Im a kenetrek guy personally.. get good deals on them and fit me well. Dad loves the Lowa hunter gtx's. Only problem with kenny's is the toe box seems to go on them if you hunt them hard.. i wore a pair of mountain extemes out in one season last year.. they sent me a new pair free and i had to pay was the 28 dollar shipping charge to send the old ones back. Overall though never had a hard time breaking them in. I have tough feet to begin with and rarely, if ever blister. Dad on the other hand is a ##### foot and the lowa's have never given him problems weather its hunting Colorado or Alaska.

Coloradoboy
Tenderfoot Outfitters

Unless it's snowing, why wear boots at all? Trail runners with merino wool socks is the way to go (at least for me). Through my backpacking, I've found that I get fewer blisters and fewer twisted ankles if I wear trail runners. I really like Montrail. They seem to fit my foot well.

By having shoes that breath, my feet are immensely more comfortable and less prone to develop blisters. The merino wool socks wick moisture away from the foot. Using this combination over approximately the last 8 years I have had ZERO blisters and zero twisted ankles all while hiking some pretty rough stuff (mostly the Uintahs).

I also have a pair of Zamberlan boots that are good. However, I have twisted my ankle in these boots. I will wear these boots if it has snowed lightly or the rain is continuous. If there is more than about six inches of snow I wear Columbia Whitefields.

Some may argue that you need ankle support. However, I find that with trail runners I tend to better place my foot because of better foot dexterity while using trail runners, and thus am less likely to twist my ankles.

Danner Pronghorns are the best boot i have ever had. Hands down. I wear smart wool socks with them. I've owned just about every hiking/mountaineering boot out there. The Danners, for me, have been fantastic.

Good boots are essential. Fit is the key. I have owned Danners, first pair were Ospreys, with the metal shank. Bought a pair of Pronghorns, when they first were released, they were junk. I will never buy another pair of Danner boots. I had a pair of White Boots, they are known for making Pac-boots for lumber jacks and cowboys, and they made full leather hiking/hunting boots for a short time. Probably one of the greatest pair of boots I have ever owned. I have owned a couple pairs of Vasque?s, they were alright. Bought a pair of Kennetreks, they are a great boot. I do get a hot spot, but never blister. This year bought a pair of Han-wags. Straight from Germany, wanted something that was lower than the Kennetreks. Awesome boot, favorite hands down. Euros know how to build boots. Like mentioned before, you have to make sure you clean your boots. Dried dirt is acidic, and will break down the leather. You will increase the life of your boots, simply by cleaning them. Also, there is no way I am wearing trail runners hunting. I can't imagine trying to pack out an elk quarter or boned out deer, a couple of miles in trail runners. It seems like when I am packing out an animal, the last trip back to the truck, my feet are doing their own thing, I can't worry about foot placement, and I need the support of a good boot.

I would not just stick to "hunting style" boots when looking for a good boot. I have been using a pair of La Sportiva Glacier boots, retail price is $249.00. I recommend going 1/2 size bigger. The boots have great support for side hilling, a vibram sole for durability and the heel of the sole has a great tread design for down hill braking.

I have owned the same pair of boots for the last 9 years and I am now to the point of retiring them to get a new pair (same boot of course). They have been on many pack outs and hunting adventures as well as back packing trips.

The sole also has a 3/4 steel shank running through it which makes hiking straight up hill a breeze on your calves. It takes away from the toe flex that occurs with a cheaper hunting boot. Toe flex causes fatigue in your lower legs.

The compression lacing system is also a nice added feature that allows you to sinch up the lower end of your boot to hold your feet in place and keep them from sliding forward into the toe of your boot.

I wear a poly sock (wick layer) cotton sock for summer to fall hiking and add a wool layer on top of the other two during winter months. They have never let me down nor have they ever given me blisters.

They recommend soaking them in the bath tub when first purchased and wearing them around the house for the day sinched up so that they will form to your foot.

Some people say the break in period is rough but mine fit great right out of the box!

I have packed out many elk and heavy loads on these boots and they have never given my ankles any trouble They have great ankle support.

Look it up and read the reviews, check out some of the back country web sites such as mountaingear.com

After nine years of continuous abuse, there is still some life left in the soles. I have only ever had to replace the shoe laces and that happened this year.

+1 on trail runners

C7579E2B-DF17-4FD0-91BB-EE37586E0F4A-16831-00000FD1D71C5634_zpsd909a09e.jpg

91765B10-AB52-4BE2-BB11-54C48DA3834A-16831-00000FD1CC2B603F_zpsf6f2db54.jpg

Traditional >>>------->

Trail runners have some real advantages, especially for the early hunts. I haven't found any with an aggressive enough tread for some of the hill country here. Some of the more aggressive "hunting boots" also lack in tread.

I've owned Danner's, Meindel's, you name it...but Kennetrek is hands down the most comfortable boot I've ever owned. No break in time at all for me and they feel incredible on my feet. Just my two cents.

Salomon Cosmic 4D 2 GTX's kick butt. They are pricey; although I saved $75.00 since the Salomon store matched online prices.
Great Boot!

My Wife and I both wear the Kenetreks and love them, Best boot we have ever owned by far. Spendy but you get what you pay for...

it depends on what you are doing. If you're wearing out a pair of denalis every year, I'd suggest you try the hanwags. Those things are built tough. I also really like the lowa tibet.

Danner makes some good boots, but if you're going to try some, make sure they're american made. The asian made danners are not the same thing.

This video I made last year may help you.

Vi Et Armis Invictus Maneo

Freak, not sure why my post got deleted, but I will post the same thing again.

Kenetrek, Crispi, Lowa, Salomon, Schnees, Zamberlan and some Danners are all good boots. There are others also.

Decide what you are using the boot for, As I would NEVER use a soft midsole boot to haul loads, or go over rough terrain.
But a softer midsole may be ideal for bowhunting and trails.

Take a look at dryflyelk's video, it will help you out.

You should be able to get many years out of most of them.
Most of them are hand made in Italy, probably in 2-3 different shops.

They each have technology that they use to differentiate themselves.

Schnees, Crispi, Kenetrek, and Danner all have US number that you can call, and talk to HIGH up people if you have a problem.

Good luck, pick a good boot and your feet will love you.
Mike

As someone said above, everybody's foot and activity level are different, so everybody's opinion will differ here. For me, I've worn out two pairs of Danners and hated them. No support, just a hard sole with a floppy upper.

I've been wearing Meindls for 15 years now and love them. I'm just about to finish off a pair of Canada's and will have to get a new pair, but I was thinking and counting the other day, and this particular pair of Canadas have been to 26 big game kills of mine and my family's and buddies.

The best endorsement I know of was going on a backpack Dall sheep hunt in NWT in '03. I showed up wearing a pair of Meindls and immediately saw that 5 of 6 guides at basecamp were also wearing Meindls. The 6th was wearing a Schnee's pac boot. Good enough for backpack sheep guides on the Arctic Circle, good enough for me.

I have had good luck with Danners. I forget the name of my first pair. Bought them in 1987 and still wear what's left of them from time to time.

I have pair of Danner Canadians too. A bit heavy, but very comfy, insulated, and a great sole.

Picked up a pair of Danner Pronghorns recently. Took a little longer to break in. But they're nice and light, good support and not too pricey.

Then I also like my Lowa Tibet GTX's too. They're a great boot for mountan hunting for elk. They're not insulated, but they offer the Sheephunter that is.

I also really enjoy my Schnee Hunters for hunting whitetail in the Michigan deer season in late November. Usually we have snow. Very comfy, and you can feel the terrain and the branches under your feet. Great for still hunting whitetails, and their airbob soles are the best.

Good luck!
GrizlyHunter
(a boot slut)

I use Meindl Perfekt Hunter boots. I've used these for three elk hunting seasons at 11000' and several deer hunting seasons. I assume your Meindl Denali boots are in the same class, so I'm left wondering how you wear out a pair of boots like this in one year. Are you wearing them for more than 5 days of elk hunting every year?

I have recently switched over to Crispi boots and they are great. I tried on the Kenetrek and I thought they were just way to stiff and felt like I was walking on stilts with the big sole on the bottom. I saw Scheels was having a sell on the Crispi Nevada GTX so I bought them. The break in for these boots was hiking up a mountain after a deer. They were great. No hot spots what so ever. I have never had a boot that felt that good while side hilling or going down hill.

They are pricey, but I feel they are worth every penny. I hope to get an unisulated pair for the early season hunt prob go with the Idaho GTX.

Crispi boots, and if you have a minute I can tell you multiple reasons why. Still hand made using a lasting technique, carbon shank (the only boot manufacturer doing this), carbon heal cup on the kanada, wilder gtx, and hunter boots, proprietary sole, and I could go on. The carbon makes them lighter, and you will notice the difference even on the taller boots.

I put on a pair of kanadas right out of the box and hiked for two days, would never even attempt that with another boot.

We sell them.

www.hunthardcore1.com/

If you can find a pair of Vasque (made in Italy notr China). They are great boots, break in easily and wear very well.

I guess I'm still looking. When I was younger, it was just about staying dry, and warm. Now comfort is part of the equation.

I've worn Cabela's elk hunters for years. The last couple of years I noticed the balls of my feet were sore after a long chukar hunt. Fine for elk hunts. The best pair of chukar boots were a pair of Danners, for fit and comfort. But they wore out, soles smooth and seems busting out, in 1/2 a season. Plus the toe had no protection so when your foot slipped under a rock, you could really feel the sharp edge on the top of your foot.

I bought Kennetrek Mountain Hunters (uninsulated) this year. 10 days archery elk hunting, 5 days antelope hunting and 2 days rifle elk hunting and I thought I'd found the best boot for me. 2 chukar hunts later, a 5 hour one and a 7 hour one, I'm not so sure. Balls of my feet get sore. The protection of the sides and top of the foot are great. Good enough ankle support for extended side hilling. A friend told me to buy the Meindl cork inserts, put them in the Kennetreks and I'll be happy. If not, I'll try another pair of $350.00-$400.00 boots next year, and probably use one of the recommendations here.

>I use Meindl Perfekt Hunter boots.
> I've used these for
>three elk hunting seasons at
>11000' and several deer hunting
>seasons. I assume your
>Meindl Denali boots are in
>the same class, so I'm
>left wondering how you wear
>out a pair of boots
>like this in one year.
> Are you wearing them
>for more than 5 days
>of elk hunting every year?
>
+1 for me as well. I always wore danners before, and they are comfortable as hell, but I like the mtn. boots like these Meindels. HOWEVER, my bro inlaw works for the forest service doing forest inventory. He hikes every day, and it takes him years to wear out a pair.

When they came for the road hunters I was not one so I said nothing. When they came for the oppurtunists I was not one so I said nothing. When they came for the public land hunters I was not one so I said nothing. When they came for me there was no one left to say anything!

You used to be able to tell the best boots by talking to the guys in the Cabela's cave. They could tell you which boots were constant returns and ones they'd never see come back. Now a days not as reliable of an indicator. One employee was telling me ton's of guy's buy a pair of boots, use them for their couple weeks of hunting and then send them back for a refund...

I tried the Under Armour Gortex hunter they held up well were light warm and comfortable. I put a ton of miles on them and packed out a good bull. Good traction and ankle support. After the hunts put them up they look good for another few years

I'm shocked more people have not mentioned Lowas.

I have ran Perfect hikers and Lowas- both are fantastic.
Crazy to hear your blowing through a pair a year!

I've not had a good experiance with my Kennetrek M.E.'s They took FOREVER to break in and I have almost worn the soles off in two saesons. Not to mention the leak like a seieve. I will not but Kennetrek again.

My Kenetrek M.E.'s were easy to break in, but I had the aame outcome as you after 2 seasons. Also when I first started wearing the boots the lace strap on the ankle would snag on the rubber that covers the lower part of the boot. This was very frustrating with 80 pounds on! It finally ripped all the way dowm to the sole, so that I don't have to worry about it anymore.

I think Lowa and Meindl are made by the same people. I've used Meindl boots for decades. Tried everything from Danner to Red Wing. Even tried one pair of those Rocky boots; worst ever. The Danners did not lace up tightly for steep hikikng in tough country. Lace-up part was too long.

Meindls for me. I have had my current pair for over 4 years and as an outfitter, they have seen gut piles from well over 100 critters. They hold up well and are comfortable. I can't figure out how you can wear out a pair in 1 year.

But I also wear some Schnees in cold weather and I wear some Merrell boots when I'm scouting and for bow season. All of those three brands, Meindl, Merrell and Schnees have a place in my boot closet. All good stuff.

Lowa tibets or hunters are as good as you will find for hunting steep country with a heavy pack.These boots have been battle tested and proven on sheep hunts and timberline muley hunts. Probably over kill if you don't wander too far from the truck

I swore by Danners and bought a pair every year for 5 years. Then I bought a pair of Alakan Mendels that lasted me 5 years of tough miles. I now own a pair of Kenetrek that are very comfortable and had no break in period, but they do not have as much support as the Alaskan Hunters did. The Alaskans were hell to break in and need new insoles right away. I know use custom orthotics in my boots and that is the ticket.

The Denalis should be lasting much more than a year. My brother bought Hanwags and has had to send them back twice. Customer service said they would not refund him his money back because he said they are the best boot on the market; Not according to my bro.

For rugged terrain I have the whites. They are the lace to toe models. I can guarantee you that I have put more miles on these puts then anyone else since I fought wildland fires. They are pricey but worth there weight in gold.

I like my Zamberlans. I have 2 pair a light pair and a heavier pair. I did buy a pair of Mendles once. They were junk made in Vietnam with the mendle name on the side.

I bought a pair of Meindles at Cabelas six weeks ago,and they were made in Germany. They required little break-in time,and i have been wearing them in the snow on some Wolf hunts and really like them. Sorry to say i have'nt seen a live Wolf yet,just tracks!

for those who wear trail runners how do you keep stuff from getting in your socks?
I have doen this scouting and always have small things get in my shoes?

For some reason, I don't seem to get alot of small things in my shoes. If I do get stuff in my shoes, I stop and empty them. However, I do know that some people use scree gaitors to keep small rocks, etc. out of their shoes.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom