Best Day Calling Bulls

on the wasatch, I had a 300 class bull looking under the pine bows looking for me at about 4 ft. That was awesome he let out a bugle right in my face! Stinky but awesome!

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

any day that I am out calling is one of my best days. I love to here the sounds of elk

If you're talking about weather , clear,30's in the morning 60's as a high. I've always have had the best luck before noon.

When I was 16 or 17 there was a day my buddy and I were eating our lunch and relaxing to get ready for the evening hunt. We started messing around with our elk calls trying to make them sound like songs and the next thing we knew we had 40-50 cows and calves hauling @$$ down the hill right at us until they surrounded us!

Maybe not the best calling experience I have ever had, but it was cool to have that many elk come in to the tune of a country song through a Primos Cow Girl.

Best day for me:
First morning, new area, hiked up onto a knoll overlooking a sweet bowl with a ledge 75 yards through timber to my right. Looked the bowl over really good and let out a few cow calls followed by my best impression of a jr. bull, see if I could locate one. As soon as I blew that bugle, the earth, hooves and brush exploded somewhere between me and the ledges. I dropped on my knees, couldn't get the arrow out of my quiver, ended up on all fours with a bull sniffing my hat. Then his twin brother walked up beside him. First bull squirting pee (some splashing my arm) while he's doing the gutteral rolls. So, two bulls at 2 yds and 3 yds. No shot! They just hung there for a few minutes checking me out, then walked away. Tried the whole "knock the arrow, spin and shoot" trick, but that didn't work.

Yep, peed on and sniffed at inches.

Had some other fun days, but that was my all time best so far.

Needless to say, since that day, I NEVER blow a call without being 100% ready!

EDPRE

my best day , i took my oldest daughter out and was trying a new call in a new area , we called in 6 bulls that morning and got it all on video, the bulls came in between 10 and 30 yards, she thought it was awsome, and it got her hooked she was 7 at the time and she goes with me alot now......cbryant

7 different bulls called in to one setup within a 40 minute period. #8 was screaming on the hillside in front of us and was heading our way until we shot bull #7. It was a really fun morning.

It's always an adventure!!!

We called in 7 bulls in a morning and another 4 that afternoon.

When I was about 14, I was with my dad and we (he) called in 17 bulls in one spot. They just kept coming in. We just shut up and let them call each other in. We watched them for about 45 minutes before they all kind of wandered off. Nothing ever noticed we were there. Probably the coolest think I've ever seen while elk hunting. Nothing with any size, but cool nonetheless.

www.muleybulloutfitters.com

I hunted with a buddy in the valles caldera gmu 6b and hunted sub unit 9 for two days then got a switch to sub unit 6 where a kid was hunting near a movie prop and he did not hunt the backs side of his unit, so that's where we hunted and I called in 8 different bulls in 15 min. we stuck the last one that came in, all bulls were over 300", what was funny about this was, he could not draw his bow fast enough to get a shot, as these bulls were flying right by us in search of the elusive cows and one bull came in 3 times, still cracks me up.
nmbighorn

Called in Bull from about a 1/2mile we got to watch him come the whole way he would stop we would call and he would come some more, stop we would call and he would come some more,the whole time it was raining and snowing at the same time. My buddy killed him as his first bull ever. Wish we had got it video. If I just close my eyes I can recall the whole hunt from start to finish.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Well here is my story....

I was hunting in 2005 and have a certain spot called 7 o'clock (if I'm not on somethng by 7 and can get there I will be on elk). So I get to my spot and start heading down the road and instantly hear some bull bugling. I started working my way over and headed up a ridge and ran right into them. They spooked and were gone. I waited for a bit let out a cow call, nothing. Waited a little longer and let out a bugle, nothing. Let out one last cow call and got a response that was within 300 yards (in the direction the elk went). Well I start to close in and see a two cows and a calf. As I stood there trying to figure out what to do, the first cow walks towards me (started out maybe 50 yards away)walked past me (maybe 5 feet away) and bedded down within 3 feetof me. The second cow walked in front of me so close that I could have stabbed her with my knocked arrow and bedded down behind the first cow (both cows were within 5 feet of me). I didn't move and after a few minutes the bull bugled and was heading in my direction. A couple minutes past and more cows started to pass me and bed. Finally the bull showed up and bugled (which I can still feel the pounding on my chest by the way). I had about a 4 foot window to shoot, as I started to draw my bow, the first cow caught the movement and bolted (along with the rest of the cows). The bull stood there for 30 to 45 seconds before he left. All I needed was a step and he would have been arrowed at 7 yards.

Sorry for the length but that's my story and I will never forget it as long as I live.

The last evening of my Monroe archery elk hunt, a friend and I had hiked up into a basin where there was a spring in a small meadow. We sat up and a couple of hours before dark, we started cow calling very aggressively. We had at least 25 bulls in and out within 30 yards by the time it got dark. Some were within a few yards as they ran by looking for those cows. I shot my bull with minutes of light left as we were starting to leave, but still calling.. An experience I will never forget!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom