Best Early Season Unit for Elk?

Ltsheets

Very Active Member
So I'm working on my draw strategy for elk this season. My wife is going to attach to me and apply as well which throws a wrench in my plans as I was planning on putting in for 16B but I think I should chose a little more accessible unit now as one of my choices. I was set on only putting in for the late season hunt to be able to get after them during the rut but now that the first season extends to the middle of the month, I'm contemplating a choice or 2 of the 3 being first season now to try and help our draw odds. The units I'm looking at the most are 15, 16 (excluding B), 17, 21, 34, and 36. I've hunted the Dec archery hunt in 34 but that's the only unit of these I have any experience in. My main question, to those of you who've hunted these units, which of these units do you think would offer the best early season archery hunt? I'd be more concerned about elk numbers than quality as I'd be happy with any decent bull. Neither me or the wife have ever killed an elk. Thanks in advance.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-05-15 AT 07:29PM (MST)[p]Good decision on the leaving out the wilderness hunt.... I am in 16b every opportunity I can get, I have 5-6 horses that I rely on heavily to get me and my camp in, and my elk out. There are easier places to access but less elk of course. Another factor in early season is getting the animal out before spoiling. Any people who say other wise are lacking the experience in that unit. Based off of the units you are listing above early season rut activity would be 34 highed altitudes.

I think I would go with the unit that you can go scout the easiest and get familiar with it.
Also, I would not do the party app. I would put in separately. I think you have better odds of at least one of you getting a tag. Odds of both drawing different units or seasons is slim.

I agree with not getting applications to crowded, but two per application is not bad. My son and I have drawn 4 years in a row on a co application. Besides it does suck if you do draw different hunts from one another.

Interesting. My understanding for how party draw's work is that you are put in separately into the "pool." When the first of the 2 people comes up for draw, as long as there are 2 tags available, you both draw. That's how it was explained to me last year when I called the NMDGF and asked the question. The only time it's bad is if a name comes up and there aren't enough tags available for the whole group. In that case, nobody draws.

>I think I would go with
>the unit that you can
>go scout the easiest and
>get familiar with it.
>Also, I would not do the
>party app. I would
>put in separately. I think
>you have better odds of
>at least one of you
>getting a tag. Odds
>of both drawing different units
>or seasons is slim.

That is how it works, however, having 2 different applications gives you 2 bites at the apple. Increases the chance for 1 tag at least. Most of the firearm units 5 days is normally not enough for 2 people to get on 2 good animals. Especially elk, you will burn one day packing a bull out.
Archery, 10 days is easily burned up hunting with a bow.

We always have great success in the early season hunts and actually prefer to have first crack at them in the pre-rut. This is actually the first year we have ever applied for the later hunts due to time restraints.

also, all the units you listed are top end. Why dont you apply for an easier draw unit as a second or third choice so you can at least go hunt.

>We always have great success in
>the early season hunts and
>actually prefer to have first
>crack at them in the
>pre-rut. This is actually the
>first year we have ever
>applied for the later hunts
>due to time restraints.
>
>also, all the units you listed
>are top end. Why dont
>you apply for an easier
>draw unit as a second
>or third choice so you
>can at least go hunt.
>

I agree with this.

My thoughts on applying for top end only is that I was gone a lot in the 2014/15 on various hunts and some were incredibly difficult/frustrating. I had a bad experience with an outfitter in CO during archery season, had fun on the late APRE6 hunt but the odds there of being successful are almost 0, and was disappointed in my muley 32 archery hunt. My wife, though she hunts and supports me in my addiction, started getting a little bit frustrated with the amount of time I was gone. My thoughts for this season are if I draw, I want to have better odds of having a successful hunt. I won't have the time next year to put in the effort needed to be successful in some of the units that are easier to draw. Plus, my wife is putting in for elk with me, so if we draw together, I want her to have a great experience so she'll be hooked!!

I'm also planning on an OTC hunt to CO or ID if I don't draw WY or NM. Just another reason I don't mind putting in for all top end units.

I agree with what NMPaul said above...apply on different apps...I do that when others want to apply with me or when putting the kids in for the draw...2-3 chances of just going are better than all the eggs in one basket...for sheer numbers of elk...you might want to consider the northern units starting with 52 then 51...just some food for thought...good luck with your choices...im going through the same boat right now with myself, gf and 3 youth hunters...

>I'm also planning on an OTC
>hunt to CO or ID
>if I don't draw WY
>or NM. Just another
>reason I don't mind putting
>in for all top end
>units.

ID....
We are going ;)

I would say 34. I went on my first every elk hunt there and it was the first season. (talk about ruined for life)I was in elk everyday had I had more experience I could have killed a monster. Called him in to 20 yards but lack of setup experience cost me the shot. I had my brother with me to help pack out if I was lucky (someone who has never had interest in hunting)and the next year he had a bow and was calling me with draw odds and back up plans and everything else. So if you want to hook someone 34 will do the job! I did get a nice 5x6 the last day of the hunt.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom