Best Muzzle Break

cache

Hey guys just got my new barrel delievered today.My smith told me he would add a break in at no additional cost.My question for you guys is are the baffle style breaks any less noisy than the ported style breaks. I'm currently trying to decide between the DE break or the Holland break. If others are better please let me know. Ive never had a break on any of my rifles but I think I'll take the offer and try one this time. Noise to me would be my first concern with recoil reduction being a distant second.

They are all too loud. The main reason to add a brake is recoil reduction, get some good earplugs and go for the best performer. The Muscle Brake works very well.

I agree on the csr muscle break. It blows the least amount of dirt when firing from the ground and its probably the quietest. Dont get me wrong it is loud but the rear port deflects some of the sound away fron the shooter.

IF you need the brake for recoil reduction, one consideration is that the baffle style side discharge brakes don't throw up dust when shot from prone nearly as much as brakes that have ports all the way around.
I make sure I have a pair of earplugs hung around my neck when I hunt with any of my braked rifles as they are much louder than unbraked rifles and can cause hearing damage in short order.
I guess you could always try the brake and if you decide you don't want it you can have a cap made for the threads or have the threads cut off and the barrel recrowned.

NRA Life Member

Leftys are the only ones in their right minds--and I ain't talkin' politics!

I've got a holland on my 6lb 7mag. Before the brake was on there it was all I could do to hold on to it with max loads. Now I can shoot it with it barely touching my shoulder and still spot my bullet hitting. There are no holes on the bottom of the brake so it doesn't kick up dust at all. I also don't think its all that loud, but you definitely don't want to be beside it when someone's shooting.