Best use of 7 LE Elk points

gdog

LAST EDITED ON Feb-14-13 AT 11:13AM (MST)[p]Haven't hunted elk in a long while. Mostly an upland hunter. Son is now 13 and on the verge of "getting into" hunting. He's coming around to it and I want to get him out with me on some big game hunts. I've got 7 LE resident elk points. I'll hunt any season.

Any suggestions on where & what hunt to apply with 7 points that would be a good unit for us to get our feet wet? Looking for the experience/opportunity over score and better then the general elk hunt if possible with 7 points.

Appreciate any PM's that may help us out. We'll be able to scout a fair amount this summer and will be great to have him involved.

I would say your best bet would be to do an Archery hunt, if you are comfortable with that. A unit like the Wasatch would be good, you have decent odds of drawing, lots of elk and lots of area. Towards the end of the hunt the rut will be starting up and and screaming bulls is a great way to get your son excited about elk hunting.

Archery is your best chance to draw soon, but the success percentages are way below other methods of hunting. It would also be tricky getting the two of you in on a screaming bull. Unless you want to sit in a tree over water (which would probably bore your son to death) you may want to look at an easier to draw rifle hunt.
If you look that direction, you are kind of in no man's land with the # of points you have. Good luck.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-14-13 AT 01:16PM (MST)[p]Totally agree....muzzleloader is probably my next best option to an archery tag, but my odds go flying out the window with 7 points. The Wasatch unit for ML is 1 in 3.9, which we could luck out and draw.

I'm hopefully going to pull a WY antelope tag (6 points) that he'll go with....and I put him in for a doe tag.

gdog

What has been said is true so far. ML would be second best odds. I ahve hunted the Manti 2 times in the last 8 years for archery elk LE tags. ITS A BLAST!!!!! He would love being out. Its the experience not the kill, although the kill makes its sweeter 8)

In wyoming, with your points and his 0, =3. you could still draw a great unit for bucks for both of you. There are still A LOT of units that you can draw with 0 points. 2 years ago i pulled a tag with 5 points and had my then 7 year old with me. So we did it again last year with an easy draw unit. We did not kill the second year, but has as much fun. Still saw lots of bucks, and passed on a few that I regret.

Just get him out and he should have fun.

Central Mountains Manti Archery is a tag that you could definitely draw. I believe it has the largest elk herd in the state and had a success rate over 40% last year (pretty good with a bow). The key is that you could have a blast and be in on some elk.

The area is a little more rugged than some that you could draw, like the South Cache Archery. You could also draw North Cache Muzzleloader, but that unit is really hurting right now.

The South Slope Muzzleloader is another hunt you could draw and has success rates over 75% the last two years. I'm not familiar with the private-land issues though (if any). I'm just looking at the numbers.

Good luck. You'll have a ton of fun.

Appreciate the feedback. Haven't spent much time on the Manti, but going to check that out as a serious option. Probably between that and the Wasatch. Wasatch is a lot closer and would lend to more time scouting and hunting, so that is a big plus.

I hunted archery in Manti last year (I drew with 3 points) and had a blast. Saw lots of elk and finally connected on a decent bull on the last week of the hunt.

Cutbow

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom