Bighorns

In a extremely biased opinion I would have to say Warner unit for California Bighorn. It was a great experience when I drew and the size of the rams were tremendous. Saw eighteen rams within fifteen minutes opening day including the BIG ONE! Stayed another week to bowhunt deer and never saw another sheep hunter. Lots of public land, good genetics, and low pressure need I say more? By the way my ram gross scored 179 6/8 was number two in the state at the time and was beat the next year by a ram that I had passed up. Their youngins are still waiting for a ballistic tip. OB

I'd have to disagree with the JDR hunts. They are issuing way to many tags now and the size/age is starting to drop. Ten draw tags+figure on the auction tag holder to be in there and possibly the raffle tag.

That's my point. Too many big ones are getting harvested on an annual basis. You're going to see quality go down hill.

Regarding the Cali's there are some great rams in the south.This past antelope season I saw an absolute bruiser, but regarding the JDR, there are still many rams that live on the west portion that is not a GMU, where rams can get some age on them. IMO

Without a doubt area 543A5 #2 I've had this tag and I did buy access. Yes it cost quite a bit of money to buy access, but remember this is a once in a lift time deal and floating the river 62 miles and finding the right canyons that hold the sheep are really tough in a raft. Plus every morning you have to go up instead of down. That canyon is deep and it takes a lone time to walk up when you can be sitting on top and spending your time glassing. East and West John day have the biggest California Bighorns in the state. Good luck to you which ever area you apply.

Packer

The Largest california in 08 (reg. tag) was 175-3/8 and came from south central. There were several 170's rams taken in the alderich mountains units. The largest ram from john day was 166-7/8. Not sure what the auction guy took, the raffle tag hunter took a 161-6/8 ram on the deschutes.
That does not mean there were not any larger rams, some years you have hunters that shoot the first ram they see.

John Day can have some great rams. I spend quite a bit of time hunting between there and the Deschutes since they are very close to my home. You should do some research on river flows before considering floating it for a hunt. Depending on dates and the flows for that year it can be a HUGE struggle just to get down the river. You may find yourself just trying to get your raft down river which is going to take away from your hunt.

Back
Top Bottom