Bipod- Hatch or Gunwerks?

Wiszard

Long Time Member
I just watched the Gunwerks video of their new bipod. I think Hatch is more user friendly. Anyone use either or both of these bipods?

I just watched the Gunwerks video of their new bipod. I think Hatch is more user friendly. Anyone use either or both of these bipods?
Get a Harris, save yourself $300 and have something that’s actually long enough to shoot off your butt. Way more user friendly, same weight (yes, look it up) and you don’t need to modify your forend. I’ve spent thousands of dollars on high and bipods and the expensive ones are all great when you’re prone, but so is a Harris. By the 12-25” with the three leg extensions, perfect prone, and perfect on your butt when fully extended. 14 oz in the non swivel version, so yes I guess it’s 2oz heavier then the gunwerks but it’s actually usable sitting down. Not sure what extending the gunwerks to 19” gets you unless you’re a midget or really tall and need that to shoot prone.

Get a Harris, save yourself $300 and have something that’s actually long enough to shoot off your butt. Way more user friendly, same weight (yes, look it up) and you don’t need to modify your forend. I’ve spent thousands of dollars on high and bipods and the expensive ones are all great when you’re prone, but so is a Harris. By the 12-25” with the three leg extensions, perfect prone, and perfect on your butt when fully extended. 14 oz in the non swivel version, so yes I guess it’s 2oz heavier then the gunwerks but it’s actually usable sitting down. Not sure what extending the gunwerks to 19” gets you unless you’re a midget or really tall and need that to shoot prone.
I have Harris bipods (9-27") on 2 of my rifles now. They've been great for 20 years and I've never had an issue with getting the bipod to the right height. The only thing I have had an issue with is the spring loaded system. It is loud as hell if/when you want to retract them. The springs are so strong that numerous times I have pinched the tip of my finger in them and it hurts like hell. I have had trouble with one of the legs retracting as well which is distracting when trying to get on an animal. I like the set up and the versatility of the Hatch but do not like the price tag. I like that the Harris attaches to my little sling button and I don't have to add a rail.
I came on here to get feedback...not for guys like you to change my mind and keep what has already worked well for 20 years. Sheesh!!! LOL
My sons first big game animal off of a Harris...The gun in that pic has killed all of my big game for the last 28 years ago except one elk. I love that gun.
Canyon Antelope and Gpa.jpg

I have Harris bipods (9-27") on 2 of my rifles now. They've been great for 20 years and I've never had an issue with getting the bipod to the right height. The only thing I have had an issue with is the spring loaded system. It is loud as hell if/when you want to retract them. The springs are so strong that numerous times I have pinched the tip of my finger in them and it hurts like hell. I have had trouble with one of the legs retracting as well which is distracting when trying to get on an animal. I like the set up and the versatility of the Hatch but do not like the price tag. I like that the Harris attaches to my little sling button and I don't have to add a rail.
I came on here to get feedback...not for guys like you to change my mind and keep what has already worked well for 20 years. Sheesh!!! LOL
My sons first big game animal off of a Harris...The gun in that pic has killed all of my big game for the last 28 years ago except one elk. I love that gun.
View attachment 115623
Cut the spring off and use the detent or the knob to tighten it, boom, it’ll run just like all the other $300-400 bipods out there that take two hands to extend and lock. I just use two hands and take the weight off and then push the button, that makes it quiet. Same as you’d have to with the high end ones, nice to be able to collapse it with one hand though if you gotta get up and make a move quick after you set it up. I’ve looked at em a million different ways and I keep coming back around like a boomerang to the Harris.

Also, the Harris is the same weight with way more features when you factor in the fact that all the tacticool require an extra 2-3 oz of hardware to hook them to your rifle.

Harris’ are great…. Except the permanent attachment to the forend, which I hate… My hatch rides in my pack which I prefer. The Pic rail is annoying though…. I agree there

I don’t think the gunwerks is out there with the general public yet. I’ll let you know when my arrives how it compares to the hatch.

You won’t be shooting from sitting with the gunwerks. The extra height I think is for setting up prone from odd angles/positions.

Hatch is still one of the only bipods that goes from low/prone to sitting. It’s not perfect but it’s very versatile for actual hunting at reasonable distances. I don’t think Harris is even in the same league, sold mine many years ago would rather shoot off sticks than that noisy, bulky contraption

I don’t think the gunwerks is out there with the general public yet. I’ll let you know when my arrives how it compares to the hatch.

You won’t be shooting from sitting with the gunwerks. The extra height I think is for setting up prone from odd angles/positions.

Hatch is still one of the only bipods that goes from low/prone to sitting. It’s not perfect but it’s very versatile for actual hunting at reasonable distances. I don’t think Harris is even in the same league, sold mine many years ago would rather shoot off sticks than that noisy, bulky contraption
The Gunwerks at 19" is a horrible look on their video. The legs are only about 3 inches apart when on the ground....not a stable base IMO.

Yote- I had no idea I cold extend or retract the legs with turning and tightening? Is that really true? I'll need to get in the gun safe and check that out tonight.

The Gunwerks at 19" is a horrible look on their video. The legs are only about 3 inches apart when on the ground....not a stable base IMO.

Yote- I had no idea I cold extend or retract the legs with turning and tightening? Is that really true? I'll need to get in the gun safe and check that out tonight.
Yep! Just pull it out and it’ll click into place. Push the button and it pops back. If you wanna use two hands you can make it silent.

Yep! Just pull it out and it’ll click into place. Push the button and it pops back. If you wanna use two hands you can make it silent.
So you are telling me you can "customize" the lengths of the legs? Doesn't have to go all the way out to the lock in point? I am skeptical.

So you are telling me you can "customize" the lengths of the legs? Doesn't have to go all the way out to the lock in point? I am skeptical.
Yes just turn the little dial, righty tighty lefty loosey. Takes two hands, one to run the dial, and another to hold it at the length you want, kinda like the $400 bipods, but for with an extra $300 in your pocket.

Since I got my Hatch that first year they were selling them at the Expo, all of my Harris bipods have been collecting dust. Love that I can swap it around from rifle to rifle quickly with no tools required.
I sold my Hatch and atlas and bought 4 more Harris and 10 cases of beer and just leave one on my rifles and muzzy.

I use my Leki trekking poles !! No need to pack Xtra crap already have them in my hands, when I spot a buck or a bull to far away for an off hand shot which apparently NO BODY can do anymore without a mounted $200 to $500 bi-pod !!! I just cross them use my hand or glove to steady the forearm & shoot !! Has been a solid option that has taken many critters over the past 20 years !!

Dang what happen to the old window down bang away.
WAIT that only for old guys that road hunt. Get that card in a bunch of more years.

I use my Leki trekking poles !! No need to pack Xtra crap already have them in my hands, when I spot a buck or a bull to far away for an off hand shot which apparently NO BODY can do anymore without a mounted $200 to $500 bi-pod !!! I just cross them use my hand or glove to steady the forearm & shoot !! Has been a solid option that has taken many critters over the past 20 years !!
What do you do if you're on a steeper embankment? Use 1 pole??

View attachment 115623
9-27"??

I haven't ever seen those as an option.

Thanks, I have the 12-25 on my son's rifle. We shopped pretty hard trying to find the lowest prone that still allowed a traditional sitting shot. I thought maybe I missed a model.
I’m 5’ 10” and that one is perfect for me prone and off my but. The slightly longer one is a tiny bit too tall in both but would work great for someone that’s 6’ or more. I’ve got a curved spine from autoimmune disease so I don’t sit up as high as I used to I guess.

Yes just turn the little dial, righty tighty lefty loosey. Takes two hands, one to run the dial, and another to hold it at the length you want, kinda like the $400 bipods, but for with an extra $300 in your pocket.
Tried this last night with the turn dials and sure as heck, I can customize one length of legs any length. Thanks for the tip.

I’m 5’ 10” and that one is perfect for me prone and off my but. The slightly longer one is a tiny bit too tall in both but would work great for someone that’s 6’ or more. I’ve got a curved spine from autoimmune disease so I don’t sit up as high as I used to I guess.
My son is 5'8" and it is working pretty good for him. Last year when he was 5'6", it was just too tall for prone so he shot from the sitting position with a lap bag for rear support. Not ideal but we made it work.

My son is 5'8" and it is working pretty good for him. Last year when he was 5'6", it was just too tall for prone so he shot from the sitting position with a lap bag for rear support. Not ideal but we made it work.
I’ve found it depends a lot on the terrain of course. Shooting uphill while I’m on a downhill I’ve had to put my pack under my chest to get it perfect but that goes for any bipod. I hunt a lot in western ND and eastern MT so it’s pretty flat, but there’s almost always enough grass to make a prone shot not possible so that where they really shine, set it fully extended, belly crawl to the top of the ridge, range and dial, then roll up onto your butt and let me have it. If you can tuck a pack under your trigger elbow you’d be surprised how steady you can be.

I use a bipod for prone shots, but for sitting on my butt or standing I use my RRS SOAR tripod with a Triclawps rifle saddle.

I use spartan precision and really like it. It doesnt stay permanantly attached which I really like and i have a mount for my tripod for a taller shot.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom