Boulder LE Archery

R

ricecanyon

Back down here on the Boulder with the same result as last time, no Elk. I scouted this area and saw 50 to 100 head everytime,now there are moo cows everywhere and no Elk.
I need suggestions, find a new area? or stick with it and the Elk will be back?

never been to boulder in my life but if the elk are not there I would definately move. try the next canyon or two over. You can come back in a morning or even mid day to check for fresh elk sign but I would not concentrate there.

Put some miles on your boots, the clock is a ticking....

good luck.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Im sure the elk are still around the area. Its tough conditions right now, full moon, hot, lots of feed and water. They dont need to move ten feet until after dark. Give it a week and the woods will come alive! But like mntman said put some miles on your shoes, you will find them. if not you will find some good spots to look.

<Stu Padasso Pro Staff

<Dixie Nourmous Field Staff

Have you looked around Wildcat Ranger Station? We were down there in June and the Wildcat trail had rubs on every tree! It's thick up in there, but a big meadow at the bottom.

I will be down there all next week with my wife. We just have spike tags and deer. If I see a good one, I will logon and let you know.

How are the deer herds? I heard they had a long winter

Where are you hunting??? Had muzzy tag last year and saw tons of bulls!!! Let me know I would love to help you out.

Deer herds are down from past years. I haven't seen many yearling bucks, and only one nice buck, I have seen a few 2 and 3 point bucks.

Just got back home. Went back to the spots I had scouted, not expecting much, and had one bugling like crazy up until I ran out of light. This morning I went back to the same spot and he bugled a couple more times, but was on the move away from me. It's so thick I haven't been able to get a look at him.

Thanks for all the help.

I will be headed back down as soon as I can.

Have hunted for deer on Boulder for 5 years now... This is the first year we have even seen elk. Cousin stuck a cow. He missed a 70" spike- Seriously it was ridiculously huge. No bigger bulls to report. Good Luck to ya.

On a side note, Deer herd's way down. Covered more ground than ever this year and saw less than half the deer of other years. Less nice bucks, and way less smaller bucks. It must have been a tough winter or something...

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

Keep at it, they'll be showing up shortly.

Worst year I've experienced for deer on the Griffin portion of the unit.

Good luck.

Dub

saw close to ten bulls tonight. all were rollin and tearing Shiz up. on the way back to the truck the were talking pretty good

<Stu Padasso Pro Staff

Are you back down there one_dryboot? I am still trying to find sometime I can get back down. Dang work, I guess being a little busy is better than its been for the last year.

hey dryboot did you get the email i sent you? good luck to both you and ricecanyon, keep me informed and if i can make it down to help i will, good luck guys, hey muley 206 sent you a pm

I also have this tag and have been seeing the same thing as rice_canyon pretty much. I've ran into a few bulls but not what I've seen/heard in the past. So damn windy this past weekend hard to hear anything. I have been seeing some decent deer and plenty of damn milk cows as usual. I'm back down this weekend though and will let rice_canyon and one_dry_boot know what happens. Anyone else on here with the boulder LE archery elk tag?

I'm staying looking in the same area this weekend without the full moon - hopefully wind will be down. If I still don't see anything I'm moving. Time marches on and it will be over soon!!!
Good luck to all!
Chasingame

We have hunted deer for a lot of years on the Boulder, worst I have ever seen it. Talked to a biologist and he said they had a major fawn winter kill...it was sad to see and hear....

I have an archery tag been down just weekends so far I will get serious a little later I did call in a few bulls this last friday before the wind kicked up to much, one was pretty good also jumped a decent 6x6 in the middle of a herd of beef cows. I think I'll go tomorrow just for the evening and than for the weekend again If they really heat up I'll stay most of next week.
Good Luck to all.

Headed back down tonight. Hopefully the Bulls and starting to talk. I'll let ya know how it goes when I get back.

I have a Boulder premium tag and have hunted 2 days on the archery. Saw 4 cows is all. Going down for labor day weekend and the last week. will post what i find on Tuesday.

ricecanyon, the answer to your problem along with a few others is found in a simple mathmatical equation...

PRE SEASON:

SCOUTING+FRIEND= FINDING LOTS OF ELK

HUNTING SEASON:

HUNTING+____________= KILLING A GOOD MONSTER BULL.

you tell me what is missing here... i heard he wouldn't mind taking some time off next week to go down with you. just a thought!

LAST EDITED ON Sep-04-10 AT 04:44PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Sep-04-10 AT 04:41?PM (MST)

Just got back. Didn't kill anything, but had a great time. Yesterday morning we hiked up some steep crap and just about when I was ready to give up, I gave a cow call and got a response. I could hear them and knew they were just below me, but never saw them, it was a bull and some cows with him.
Last night we went back to the spot that I had scouted and seen tons of elk, but hardly seen any since the hunt started. We went to a wallow I had seen scouting and... same as always, somebody elses game cam and no sign of elk. We decided to sit and call for the heck of it. 10 Minutes later I had a nice 6 point bull poking his head through the trees at about 70 yrds. Apparently he didn't like what he saw because he backed out and tried getting down wind of us. We high-tailed it out of there to try to get the wind in our favor. As we got to a closed road I see two idiots fly by on their 4-wheelers, I guess a big gate with a sign that says ROAD CLOSED isn't enough for some guys, well they stopped at the top of a meadow saw moo cows and went on. 2 Min later we were at the top of the same meadow and heard a bull bugling, I got set up with my dad behind me and started calling. Now we had a three way Bugling match between me and two good 6-point bulls.
Long story short they didn't want to come any closer and we ran out of daylight trying to sneak up on them.

Nothing quite like spending time on the mountain with your dad and having two Bull Elk Screaming Their Lungs Out At You!

Maybe next time we can come home with one.

I just got back as well. Saw a few bulls......nothing too crazy. Meet up with one_dry yesterday, six hours later than planned. Sorry!

Had my best camera stolen!! Apparently the pad lock didn't detour the delinquents too much! More upset about not having the pictures than anything.

Headed back on Friday and almost all of next week before my hunt begins. Good luck to you stick flippers!

Juice,

Not a big deal man! but I gotta tell ya if you want to see elk you gotta wake up before noon! LOL
Things are looking good and the next 9 days are going to be a blast!
I already tried eating my tag just to see how it tastes. Man its not good so hopefully a big boy will cross my path.
380 or bust! the bust part being when I give a 350 a dirt nap cuz im weak! :)

<Stu Padasso Pro Staff

Ricecanyon, i do believe i will accept your invatation, and as someone smarter than me once said "shall we not go on in such great a cause?" ricecanyon...that we shall.... that we shall...

bugle bugle bugle scream... fling and arrow whatch em' ream... heavy heavy heavy breath...on the ground he bled to death
tasty tasty tasty meat...thanks the lord good heavens lets eat!

has anybody heard from onedryboot or ricecanyon after last weekend? any blood flowing yet ?

Ricecanyon is down there hunting till he kills one. Talked to him this am and Bulls are bugling. He's just trying to out smart them. I'm headed there Wed to help him out if he hasn't killed one yet.

Just spent the last two days with one-dry boot. Both boots are still dry. We got into a lot of bulls last night and this morning but no shooters presented them selves. I'll be back down on Wed to continue scouting for Saturday and hopefully helping boot get his bull out!

Just got a text from ricecanyon. He was excited the BULLS are heating up. $ bulls screaming at him tonight all were 6 points biggest was 350 at 85 yards.

sounds like were all going down wednesday!!! LOL i am going wed as well and would be glad to hunt with juice and onedryboot til saturday if you guys want help, ill call you tomorrow juice, talked to some other guys thats aid it was slowing down a little bit witht he hotter weather but maybe the cows are even hotter!! good luck to everyone and i hope we all can make this the best year yet on boulder!!

i just got back from boulder there with rice canyon. we had some monsters come in, but couldnt seal the deal. he had some bulls screaming at him tonight, but i had to come back. good luck ricecanyon.

Well, the hunt is over, and we just couldn't kill one. We had bulls screaming at us every day this week. We got to see some real nice bulls, but never could get a shot.

The last chance I had, we heard two bulls bugling and I decided to chase after the closer one and leave my dad and brother in a small meadow. I chased his bulges for about an hour and was getting up real close in some thick scrub aspen when I saw a tan body about 15 yards away and about crapped myself, it was finally gonna happen, until I got a look at its head and it was a cow. Is all I had heard was bugling all morning and now I see a cow elk? After waiting there for what seemed like an hour not being able to move, the bull bugling like mad just out of sight, the cow moved down wind and that was the end. When I got back with my dad and brother, they said we've got something you need to see. They showed me video of the other bull, a nice 6-point, walking within 20 yards of them as they stood there in the meadow. That is just my luck, if I would have stayed there I'm sure it wouldn't have come through.

Oh well, It was a great time in some beautiful country with family and friends.

Just because it is limited entry, doesn't mean its easy.

Especially Archery.

Rice,

First off congrats on a great hunt!!! Its about the memories with friends and family that you will remember forever!
I too was in you same boat alot of the hunt. It was very tough conditions for mid september. hot, dry and the bulls would turn and go the other way to a call. I did have a few chances at 340-350 type bulls but elected to pass. I really thought hard about shooting but with 7 days to hunt I wanted to try my luck with one of the bulls we hear about and haunt our dreams.
Well, I found a Giant and worked into 46 yards. He was standing broadside screaming at his cows. I drew back and just as I was settling my pin he turned and walked straight away to 90 then just sat there and screamed at me as if to say come get me. I backed out and went back after him the next mourning only to get in close and have his cows bust us.
Feeling beat down and ready to give up I told my uncle I was going to stick to the plan of big or nothing til the end.
The last mourning of the hunt we talked it over for a while and came to the agreement that if a decent bull gave us a shot we would take it. My uncle was there the whole hunt helping me and it meant the world to him to see me kill an elk. Well not 10 minutes into light we had a low 300 bull screaming with cows. he would not leave them so I gave it my best effort and calledd the cows to me. they stepped out and gave me a 62 yard shot and I sent the arrow through the blood pumper. 30 yards later he was down and I felt that even though I did not kill a monster or meet my goals, I gave er hell and in the end I came out on top. just to see how excited my uncle was being able to watch over my shoulder was worth it. He will talk about it forever and will be a great memory.
Do I wish I would have shot the 350ish??? hell yes now I do. but at the same time I am a risk taker and love the challenge that comes with letting good animals walk trying for a monster.

Hopefully the rifle guys have better conditions then we had or it will be tough for them.
Good luck and smoke the ones we could not!

<Stu Padasso Pro Staff

Sounds like you gave it a great effort. Some people put a lot of pressure on themselves with a LE tag in their pocket. Makes it hard to enjoy the experience of the whole hunt.
Looks like you had a very successful hunt even if you didn't fill your tag.

Oh man, thats the kind of stuff that happens to me. While your out busting your butt something walks right by a camera. Sorry to here you were unsuccessful sounds like you had a good time anyway.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-21-10 AT 12:28PM (MST)[p]Well back at work now. Attached is the pic of my bull. Tiny sixth point on one side and the other broke off when he did a headplant going down - couldn't find it. Not a trophy but being my first archery bull I'm proud of him. Boulder was a blast this year - two very close bear encounters and many close calls with elk. Took the whole last week off. Got in 13 days on the ground hunting. They were bugling pretty good for me for that last two weeks. They moved pretty high by the end of the hunt and made for a tough haul out. I had chased a large bull up a hill and was waiting for him and his cow to get out of bed when this one walked up the hill right behind me and spooked the big boy and his girl. I was going to let him walk but he kept coming right at me and I shot him at about 7 yards. There were only 3 days left in the season so I took him. Right after I shot this one a larger bull bugled and came in to about 15 yards and stared at me trying to figure out why the elk was dead and what was sitting next to him. Been trying for month to get an elk to come to me like that and couldn't. I have that encounter on video and if I can figure out how to make the video files smaller I'll post them.

I'd like to thank rice-canyon for his willingness to chat with me about what he was seeing on the mountain even though I was new to this forum. I tried to share what I knew to help him too. Anyway what a great elk hunting season - I can't wait for more next year wherever that may be - there is NOTHING like archery elk hunting.

5020dscn1217.jpg

Man it has been fun following your hunts this year. I have a muzzleloader tag that starts in a week and I was wondering if you could help me out with some areas or direction.

thanks!!

LAST EDITED ON Sep-23-10 AT 10:55PM (MST)[p]I spent the first 5 days of the rifle hunt on the Plateau. It was hot, The bulls had been worked hard by the archery hunters. Often if you blew a cow call, the elk left the area.

I was getting 3-4 bulls a day into my sights. But most were 330-340 class bulls. several with busted tips, so I have kept looking.

Came home for a shower and clean cloths, heading back down tomorrow. Hopefully a few days off from being called so hard will let the elk forget the pressure and be a little more willig to come into the calls.

Saw a big cougar Tuesday night just before sunset. It was slinking around the edge of the meadow. It worked its way around behind me. About 30 minutes after I first spotted it, I turned to see it had crept up behind me and was starring at me. Yelled and ran towards it and it took off. between my yelling and the cougar prowling the meadow, no elk came in that night.

Saw a couple of trail cams around a couple of water holes I passed. So some folks are still scouting the area.

I am kinda surprised as some of the folks who drive the motor vehicles right into some of the hunt spots. I hiked into a water hole only to spot a UTV parked exactly where the elk had walked out of the trees the night before. It was close to the water and the hunters sitting under a tree 50 yards away. I'm not quite sure what they expect to see when they do that. At least park a ways off and walk in the last half mile. Heck, I even do that with my horses. Tie them up to a tree and walk the last bit into the hunt area.

It sounds like Boulder has been a little rough this year. My wife had a rifle tag and she shot a nice 6 point on the opener but we saw very few elk scouting and felt fortunate to find a good bull on the opener. Good luck to everyone who is still hunting down there and let us know how you do!

So let me get this straight.... A rifle hunter is blaming his bad luck of only seeing 3-4 340 class bulls a day on the Archery hunters??? LMMFAO that is funny shiit right there.
Archery hunters blame the spike hunters for not having a good hunt, rifle guys blame the archery hunters for not having a good hunt, who blames the rifle guys?

<Stu Padasso Pro Staff

i guess we (the rifle guys) get blamed by the muzz hunters and the muzz hunters get to blame the muzz deer hunters!! LOL well the only person i think any of us really have to blame is mother nature, some years she really helps us out and others she screws us and i think this year must of been our turn to get screwed, the archery guys got a couple days of good cold weather but me and the rest of the rifle guys have great dates but 80-90 degree weather, i feel very fortunate to kill the bull i did but i know alot of guys that are still having a tuff time, i will post up some pics in the next couple of days, has anyone heard of any giants taken on boulder or anywhere else?

I didn't mean to sound like I was blaming anybody. It was just mother nature. Hot dry weather, full moon at night. If you cow called the bulls almost ran away. A much different hunt that others that I have helped on.

I did see lots of elk that I could have harvested. I saved my tag hoping to find a true trophy, Which I did on the the last day of the hunt. Problem was the bull was a 1000 yards away. After some work we closed the distance to 560 yards. But that is still farther than I consider ethical to shoot. So we watched him and his harem of cows disappear into the timber. I'm sure he will be in the same hell hole next year, bigger than this year and maybe I can help a friend close the distance on him.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom