Bowhunting Zoo!!!

Wapiti

Did anyone else notice an increase in hunter traffic this past weekend for the Utah opener?
Our group hunted on the Pavant and boy was it a zoo, even more so than last year. Every ridge and valley had multiple 4 wheelers or trucks park at the top. The main road was like a highway with none stop traffic.
I'm curious as to what the reason is for the increase in hunter numbers, I have my own theories but what are some other peoples thoughts? Is there anything that can or should be done to reduce the pressure?

Here are my reasons for increased hunter numbers:
1- The dedicated hunter program has increased the number of archery hunters. There are 14,195 resident archery tags, 1,462 non resident, and 8,000 plus dedicated hunters.
2- More advanced technology = more advance equipment = ?Better? chance for success, at least people think so.
3- Traditionally less hunting pressure.
4- The Internet has changed and will continue to change the face of hunting/fishing forever. Information of all kinds is readily available. There are no secrets anymore.

Solutions:
1- Limit dedicated hunters to a region for the archery hunt. I'm not anti-dedicated hunter. I recognize that the dedicated hunter program is good for the fact that each individual gives 8 hours of service hours each year. Those efforts have gone a long way in helping to benefit the state. But it needs some tuning.
2- Can't do anything about the other (3) mentioned points.
3- Find new hunting areas. This is a tuff one. All the traditional areas I've hunted over the years have nearby road access. It's difficult to find an area where there are good deer numbers along with good road access, with little hunting pressure that's not private land.

Maybe I just have to accept the fact that bowhunting will never be like it was 15-20 years ago. To have success now requires more effort to find places to hunt.

My experience has been even though there are "lots" of hunters riding the Road, once you drop of one of the canyons you usually have it to yourself, especially on the pahvant. There are some great water holes and places to get away and you always see game and no hunters.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-25-06 AT 00:58AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Aug-25-06 AT 00:21?AM (MST)

It seemed to me there were a lot more guys out and about but as mentioned elsewhere they usually fade out after opening weekend. I wrote a similar post as to why it was a zoo. Check it out in the Mule deer section. But beware there are ALOT of opinions expressed.

Good luck with the rest of your hunt.

P.S. hunting water holes for big deer during daylight hours is NEARLY impossible

AMEN dogwood, I just returned from a deer hunt in northern Ca. and the amount of road traffic was unbelievable but when I dropped down 300 yds into a steep canyon all I saw was unspooked game and no boot track's.

MTQuivers, you are right about big deer and daylite at the water holes, however you will find them bedded in the thick timber/brush near the water holes. I get above or below the bedding area and use my sling shot with small rock's to spook them into moving during the day if its an area that I can't still hunt.

My bow shoots a little better than my sling shot$%#@! If I am that close why not just let the air out of him? (Just Kidding I know what you mean) I have never thought of jumping up bedded deer during the day, but if you don't mind the risk I guess it might work.

Good luck on your hunts

Yeah, the hunt has changed in the last 6 or so years. Like everything else, you have to adapt to the elements--not that I like it anymore than anyone else! I've learned not to even get serious about the hunt until after the second weekend. It usually takes that long for the deer to get back to their summer paterns (if they ever do!) and the crowds to disburse. ONE of the areas I have a tree stand in is only about 200 yards away from an old logging road, it's amazing to see how the deer react to the road warriors even at that distance(oh yeah, this road is clearly marked "closed", but that's another story). You can barely even hear the ATV's let alone see them and the deer react as if they're about to get run over by them!

My advice is to be patient, and give it a week or two before you give up, it will get better!

I have got to tell you guys what I saw today. After the morning hunt I was driving to go and check on a buddy and I see coming down the road is a truck, and I kid you not, there was a guy sitting in a recliner in the back bow in hand. Not a camp chair a freak'n recliner. I wish I had my camera ready so I could have gotten a picture to show you. It's a whole new world.

What's wrong with a Recliner, this was out in Utah land in 2000. Must be the comfort of home for those there to hunt in.
44f121bb357d22d0.jpg

I hunted Idaho one year with a guy who was a carpet installer. We had wall-to-wall carpet in our old Army tent. Pretty nice actually.

Yea, with the price of gas, I was hoping it would cut down on the road hunters here in Kali. Heck no!

Steve

I was camping with the family on the backside of Timp in the campground. Ddin't really see a lot of bowhunters anywhere up there, however quite a few zoobies were observed in their un-natural habitat.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom