broadheads

ADM

was wondering what broadheads everybody hunts with for elk and mule deer? I was looking at the shuttle T locks by trophy taker or the G5 strikers, based on the reviews i have found on the intranet.

My wife has had great luck with the G5 Montecs. I have never tried the shuttle-t. I have had good luck on elk with rocket mechanicals, NAP mechanicals , snuffers and muzzys. Lots of good heads out there. Keep them sharp and place them well. I am sure the strikers would be a great head.

The Strikers are one mean ass, killing head! Can't go wrong with them.

("For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. Ephesians 2:8-9")

If you simply want THE strongest broadhead available look at the VPA Terminator. It's the only truly solid head made of machined steel. Cut on contact, easy to get sharp and great flight. Put my bull down in less than 3 seconds. Full pass through.

Also shot 3 deer with them too this year. Even breaking both shoulder bones on one!

Rage Broadheads here. Though some hate them I have never had any problems. Took this bull with 100 grain 2 blade RAGE.
659521azbull.jpg

The rage is a good head. But if your going to use it. Use only the 2 blade and wire it shut. Then it becomes a mean head! The 3 blade head is not worth there salt.

("For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. Ephesians 2:8-9")

I have tried a lot of heads and I have been using the G5 Tekkan II for the past couple of years now with very good results.

Put down a cow and a bull elk with complete pass through shots and both died within feet of where they were shot.

Good solid head, machined one piece main body, cut on contact, flys very good, easy to sharpen and very dependable. Look into them!

I can also vouch that the 3 blade Rages are garbage, but I have never tried the 2 Blade version.

There are a lot of opinions out there and it makes it very hard to decide.

I know broadheads are expensive but my advice would be to buy a pack of your top 2 or 3 choices and then try them out and see which ones work best for you.

I used the T locks for a couple years and switched to G5 striker.They both fly about the same for me but the striker just seems to kill stuff better??? That being said I've killed more stuff with a 100 grain thunderhead than anything else(still not sure why I stopped using those, my kids still are using them, they're a lot cheaper than other broadheads).Anyway there are a bunch of good broadheads out there you might need to buy a couple different ones and see what works for best for you.Good luck

>
>Good solid head, machined one piece
>main body, cut on contact,
>flys very good, easy to
>sharpen and very dependable.
>Look into them!
>

I don't want to start a debate here, but how can a mechanical head be called solid? And G5 heads are not machined. They are molded from cast metal.

"I don't want to start a
debate here, but how can
a mechanical head be called
solid? And G5 heads
are not machined. They
are molded from cast metal."

BigPig,

My point was simply that the main body of that head is very sturdy and it still gives you a decent size cutting diameter (5/8") even if the blades do not deploy, but that has never been a problem for me. That's how I can consider a mechanical head "solid", cast or machined!

I am not even sure how you know that they are cast instead of molded but I do know they are made from stainless steel and are a single piece.

Was just trying to give another point of view. Didn't mean to pass on any false information, if I did!

>"I don't want to start a
>
>debate here, but how can
>a mechanical head be called
>solid? And G5 heads
>are not machined. They
>are molded from cast metal."
>
>
>BigPig,
>
>My point was simply that the
>main body of that head
>is very sturdy and it
>still gives you a decent
>size cutting diameter (5/8") even
>if the blades do not
>deploy, but that has never
>been a problem for me.
> That's how I can
>consider a mechanical head "solid",
>cast or machined!
>
>I am not even sure how
>you know that they are
>cast instead of molded but
>I do know they are
>made from stainless steel and
>are a single piece.
>
>Was just trying to give another
>point of view. Didn't
>mean to pass on any
>false information, if I did!
>

No biggie OSOK. I didn't realize it either, until I had a problem and started looking closer. If you look real close on the broadhead you can see the form marks from the casting. Obviously lots of folks have had good success with G5 heads or they wouldn't be so popular. I'm not saying they are a bad head as I too have used both the Montec and Strikers and killed several animals with each. But then twice I had the ferrule (body of broadhead) snap clean off at the insert. This was on small blacktail deer. A friend also had it happen to a Montec. I'm admittedly no metalurgy expert, but I attributed this to them being made of cast metal. Or maybe just a bad batch. I'm not knocking them, just stating my personal experience. I personally lost confidence in them. I now prefer a machined head.

Good point BigPig,

I have not experienced that on the Tekkan, but very good to know.

What machined head do you use?

You now have me digging to find out if the Tekkan is machined or cast :D

>Good point BigPig,
>
>I have not experienced that on
>the Tekkan, but very good
>to know.
>
>What machined head do you use?
>
>
>You now have me digging to
>find out if the Tekkan
>is machined or cast :D
>
I can promise you, it's cast. All G5 heads are. They use a process called MIM (Metal injection molding) and make no attemps to dissmiss that fact. As far as casting goes, it's probably a better process than the old days (using high pressure to mold the steel) but still cast nontheless.

I use the VPA Terminator. The design isvery similar to the Montec, but machined from a solid chunk of steel. I'm kinda a broadhead junkie, and it's by far the strongest I've found.

I shoot traditional and prefer the Simmons Landsharks

I don't think these are made any longer. (any help to find a
supply of them would be a help) They are tough as all hell! Easy
to sharpen, and fly well in my set up. I have some glue on models
for my cedar (fence posts!)shafts.

I have tried some Wetzel Woodsman's(very popular with trad.guys)
150 gr. three blades and found them to fly well but.......can't
get the hang of sharpening them. Very hard steel and the 30 deg.
angle is not right in my view. Also they are only 1" wide.

The 135 gr. screw on land sharks on a mfx shaft is my choice.
They can be used with a bleeder blade as a 4 blade or as a two blade. I have had trouble keeping the bleeders in place in the Quiver.

My #1 hunting partner is still shooting aluminum arrows and Bear super razor heads. On his first Elk hunt he drilled a cow
from a lock-on stand and penitrated the shoulder plate and into the boiler room. Short recovery. On his second trip he drilled a
330 Bull at 25 yds.(ground blind) to the fletching behind the shoulder. He went down 70 yds in sight of the shooter. The guy is the real deal!
Griz

For years , I used to use Thunderheads. I loved them. (my last arrow with thunderheads shot clear threw a 6 point bull elk at 62yds). I was totally pleased with them. Then all the new stuff come along. In 2007, I got sucked into the hype of what new heads all the pro staffers where using. So I bought some new G5 Montec's that the pro at the Archery store suggested. He didn't bother to tell me they needed sharpening before you hunt with them,(that just seems wrong a new broadhead that you need to sharpen out of the package). Anyway I hit a monster bull elk at 20 yds behind the shoulder, it went in maybe 4 to 5 inches. The elk ran forever, finally dying after he had crossed into private property(which they keep the elk). I was totally upset. If I would have stayed with Thumderheads, that elk wouldn't have went down within 100 yds. I've killed 11 elk with Thunderheads, and I'll be using them next time I go hunting. Sometimes New intovation isn't better, it just lets them charge more.

Slick tricks did the trick for me this year. Complete pass through on a mature bull, left a nice hole on both sides. They fly great as well. I wish I had taken a better picture of the hole it made, but here is an angle that shows it somewhat...

8176p1010011.jpg

Wac'em here.....the ORIGINAL with it's design......and machined not cast.

BOHNTR )))---------->

I love the broad question...what broadhead??...several good broadheads out there so you're going to get several different answers as you can see already.

Somebody out there has killed something with every broadhead on the market.

Shoot as many as you can and then pick one that you have CONFIDENCE in and that flies perfect with your hunting setup.

Mathews Z7
CX Maxima Hunter 350
Sure Loc Single pin
Epek XC3 Broadheads

Every year I go shoot a bison on a ranch for meat for the year. This gives me a great opportunity to try out several different broadheads on an extremely tough animal with thick skin. I try to shoot them at the same yardage and in the same spot, with the same bow and same arrow every year to make the test as fair as I can.

The broadhead that killed the quickest and made the nastiest entry and exit wound will probably surprise alot of you but it was a 100 grain spitfire. That bull staggered about 15 yards and fell over dead with a blood trail that looked like someone emptied a gallon of red paint over the 15 yards. I have since taken 2 elk and several texas hogs with it and have watched every animal die with in sight.

Next buffalo test I will be trying the Ramcats. I am very interested in these broadheads. They look nasty!

We shoot the G-5 Strikers...100gr. Never had a problem. They just hammer bull elk at 40 yds on a FMJ340 total arrow weight 466 gr...I think most new technology small diamiter cut on contact broadheads all do a great job. Most of the time the problem is with the shooter not the arrow and broadhead as long as the setup is correct and the bow is well tuned.

With the replacement blades on the Strikers it's one kill and a new set of blades for us. Would love to shoot the Montecs but anything I try to sharpen...I just make worse

))))......>

Below post is 100% Correct!!!
TRC

>I love the broad question...what broadhead??...several
>good broadheads out there so
>you're going to get several
>different answers as you can
>see already.
>
>Somebody out there has killed something
>with every broadhead on the
>market.
>
>Shoot as many as you can
>and then pick one that
>you have CONFIDENCE in and
>that flies perfect with your
>hunting setup.
>
>
>
>
>Mathews Z7
>CX Maxima Hunter 350
>Sure Loc Single pin
>Epek XC3 Broadheads

I have been using Wac'em heads for over 5 years now and love their performance. They are machined and not cast which is a huge advantage from strength and durability. They are extremely accurate and fly like field tips. I have taken everything from turkeys to elk with these heads without a problem! I mostly use the original Triton.

Jared "J-Rod" Bloomgren

http://www.camospace.com/Bloomgren

Wac-Em Exit, its their 4 blade model. Love it. Only one animal has made it out of my sight before tipping over.

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have
some good ideas!

> I shoot traditional and
>prefer the Simmons Landsharks
>
> I don't think
>these are made any longer.
>(any help to find a
>
>supply of them would be a
>help)

Simmons is back in business.

http://www.simmonssharks.com/

I have used Magnus stingers for yrs and have used the 2's yrs ago. Would not hesitate and will use Samari's, Ace, aBowyer and Eclipse this yr.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom