Brown bear caliber

marley

Very Active Member
I posted this in the Alaska forum as well. Don’t know where I would get the most opinions so I threw it up here.

For Christmas my wife gifted me a Brown Bear hunt in Alaska. This has been my #1 bucket list hunt for as long as I can remember. I have booked my hunt already. I am planning on a spring hunt with Mel Gillis. I have watched every brown bear hunt I can find on YouTube and the one most consistent thing I’m seeing in most of them is that they don’t go down easy. I have a 300 Norma improved and was thinking of using a 200 grain A-frame or 208 grain LRX but after watching all these videos I’m thinking about having my smith turn me out a swap barrel in a .375 H&H or a 416 Rigby. The thought of searching for a big brownie in thick alders doesn’t sound fun to me. What are your thoughts?

The Norma A-Frame combo would be great, but everyone needs another rifle. If you want heavier bullets maybe a 338 Norma barrel that you can screw onto the 300 NMI action?

I eventually want to hunt Cape Buffalo and leopard at some point in my life. So that’s another reason I was thinking about the .375 or .416.

Those were my 2 favorite videos. Amazing hunts. This is definitely a once in my lifetime hunt for me so I don’t think I could stomach coming home without one. I did that once on an dall sheep hunt and it was tough.

I’m probably way over thinking this and my 300 Norma would be just fine. One video showed a guy shoot a brown bear 6 times with a 338 RUM at under 100 yards. Unbelievably tough animals.

Those were my 2 favorite videos. Amazing hunts. This is definitely a once in my lifetime hunt for me so I don’t think I could stomach coming home without one. I did that once on an dall sheep hunt and it was tough.
Don’t blame you at all! Best of luck on your adventure-should be an awesome experience!!

That is definitely towards the top of my bucket list. What are the typical shot ranges? I think anything .300 up would be sufficient. Especially since we all know your marksmanship skills. Good luck. Can't wait to see the pics!!

My guide, who is CWO on here, said that the shot is rarely over 200 yards. This has been a dream of mine that I never thought would happen since I was a kid. My wife rocks!

I would recommend any 30 caliber or bigger you shoot well. The hunts I’ve seen poor shooting is someone brings a new gun just for that hunt. Bring the gun you kill chit with. First hunt this spring I saw the bear take 8 rounds. 2nd hunt it was done with one shoot but ended up with 3 in it. Lots of factors in play that adds to the bullet count. Size of bear, shot placement and something often overlooked is if the bear senses you’re there. 200 yard max is what we recommend too. Way more fun shooting them close anyhow. I have some videos I should post. First bear this last spring came after us and died about 15 feet away. Makes you feel alive 😂

I would recommend any 30 caliber or bigger you shoot well. The hunts I’ve seen poor shooting is someone brings a new gun just for that hunt. Bring the gun you kill chit with. First hunt this spring I saw the bear take 8 rounds. 2nd hunt it was done with one shoot but ended up with 3 in it. Lots of factors in play that adds to the bullet count. Size of bear, shot placement and something often overlooked is if the bear senses you’re there. 200 yard max is what we recommend too. Way more fun shooting them close anyhow. I have some videos I should post. First bear this last spring came after us and died about 15 feet away. Makes you feel alive 😂
Will you guys let hunters shoot whatever or do you have a minimum?

Kind of funny story from this spring. One of the other guides had a client who insisted on bringing an old black powder rifle. Looked like something out of the last of the Mohicans. A few days into the hunt they had a giant bear spotted. They closed the gap but the bear was on the move. Typical spring bear behavior. They stopped on this ridge and the bear popped out 10 yards in front of them. The client instantly chit his pants. The guide and packer could hear it. The bear started popping his jaws and then bolted. Client never even attempted to raise his gun. He couldn’t even speak and he was shaking. He finally said “ I **** my pants and need to go back to camp”. He was really embarrassed and pretty much gave up after that. He ended up not getting a bear and was disappointed.

Seems like 50% of the time the client can’t make the shot on the bear. Most clients lock up in the moment on bears for some reason. My client this spring we had yell at him to shoot. The bear was 130 yards away and was about to wind us. 3 times the bear stopped offering perfect shots at 150ish. The client didn’t shoot till he was on the move after the bear stood there for 30 secs 😁. Did make a great shot though.

I know Marley won’t have an issue. He’s a killer. But you gotta take the shot when you get it. You may not get another. Damn started to get excited about spring!

IMG_9846.jpeg

WOW....that was actually written by someone that knows wtf they are talking about......just chalked full of logic and common sense.........we could argue for a month in an MM thread and stray so far from reality to be painful.....
Hahaha agreed!

marley,
I'll gladly lend you my "man bun". I hear guys claim the Creedmoor can kill anything! 😁

I'm sure your new 300 would do just fine but I too don't fault anybody who "needs" a new rifle.
Very cool adventure to look forward to and yes your wife is awesome.

You'd best start the addition to the trophy room as well.

A friend guides all over Alaska, and he bought my 416 Ruger just for brown bear. 400 grain bullets give very good performance!! My 350 Barnes TSX for everything else that walks up there.

Most rifles will not be too happy if you mess with the case size too much. The 300 Norma uses a big, fat case head which is significantly larger than the 375 H&H. Depending on how long of a cartridge you can get away with I would look at the 378 Weatherby, 416 Rigby or 416 Weatherby, or my favorite option would be just do a 375 caliber on the Norma case. One more thing to consider is for your future African hunts you'll want the headstamp on your brass to match what's stamped on the barrel. That would probably mean custom brass if you go 375 on the Norma case.

A friend guides all over Alaska, and he bought my 416 Ruger just for brown bear. 400 grain bullets give very good performance!! My 350 Barnes TSX for everything else that walks up there.
I normally carry a 416 in the spring. Sometimes a .338

Why the difference in the spring with a 416? Just curious on my part....
Spring we are only going after bears so a 1-4x scope is nice for bears. Not taking far shots. In the fall we are hunting everything so like a little bigger power scope on the .338

Spring we are only going after bears so a 1-4x scope is nice for bears. Not taking far shots. In the fall we are hunting everything so like a little bigger power scope on the .338
Makes perfect sense…

Your norma with 230 bergers will work great too. That's what Ryan pierce used...quite impressive in his improved.

I'm with SS use a gun that is proven and you are comfortable with.

I harvested my peninsula brown bear with a 300 PRC and Hornady factory ‘match’ ammo. Killed it plenty quick. No need for more juice than your 300. Familiarity with that gun and proper placement is what matters.

.338 Win Mag, with 250gr. Nos. Partition. Decent trajectory (don't take long shots at Brownies) will hit hard, hold together and penetrate deep. I have it in a stainless Ruger M77 Mk II, Sightron SII scope, bought in 2003.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom