Bugling in the Gila

I heard some sqeaks from little ones with the big cow herds last week. All changed now. Small herds,solo bulls and rubs,wallows showing. Soon. 2 wks to tops.....

I spent 3 days around Willow Creek and Snow Lake fly fishing for Carp and Gila's and I didn't hear anything... There is water everywhere and the grass is nice and tall.

You can see what the grass looks like around Snow lake on my video. It is on my website.

J-

LAST EDITED ON Aug-21-14 AT 06:45PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Aug-21-14 AT 06:44?PM (MST)

Like I said,I've only heard the young bulls that are still hanging around.Sometimes it's a lead cow bugling,very short. Heard them last night across the valley.
Last years calves are now 5x's even.Lots of calves this year.
I have seen some pretty big racks so far.
The elk look real healthy this year here.
They won't get going good for couple weeks.Late rut too,like last year. IMHO

And I'm not down in the Gila listening for elk at night for you jokers!
I'm doing it from home.......across the PieWay.

Last year I was on a couple that were already cow-ed up and screaming their lungs out as of 9/2. Hope for something similar this year, but I need to still work on getting my cow calling to be seductive enough that they'll leave the ninety and nine to come find the one...

If anyone has that kind of a call please enlighten me.

Muchos gracias in advance.

I was just out there a few days ago and didn't hear any bugles yet. Saw a couple big bulls with cows, but from what I saw most of the bulls were still in their groups and just starting to separate.

thanks a lot for the info, the later the better for me! good luck to all you archery guys going after them this month!

Talked to a friend today. I sent him and a buddy to an outfitter friend of mine. Long story short the outfitter called in a 380 class giant to 5 yards. His buddy lost it and cut the arrow loose at 15 yds quartering away. Hit the bull in the meat on the neck. I think the arrow went right where he was looking. Right at
The rack. Terrible deal. Bull Bugeld at 5 yds from shooter. I think he soiled his panties. He is either hooked for life or will need years of therapy to get over missing his once in a lifetime opportunity. That's archery elk hunting hi and lows

>Talked to a friend today. I
>sent him and a buddy
>to an outfitter friend of
>mine. Long story short the
>outfitter called in a 380
>class giant to 5 yards.
>His buddy lost it and
>cut the arrow loose at
>15 yds quartering away. Hit
>the bull in the meat
>on the neck. I think
>the arrow went right where
>he was looking. Right at
>
>The rack. Terrible deal.
>Bull Bugeld at 5 yds
>from shooter. I think he
>soiled his panties. He
>is either hooked for life
>or will need years of
>therapy to get over missing
>his once in a lifetime
>opportunity. That's archery elk hunting
>hi and lows

Thats terrible. If it was a meat only hit, he'll probably live. I would be willing to bet that the majority of hunters have never seen a legit 380" bull.

>Talked to a friend today. I
>sent him and a buddy
>to an outfitter friend of
>mine. Long story short the
>outfitter called in a 380
>class giant to 5 yards.
>His buddy lost it and
>cut the arrow loose at
>15 yds quartering away. Hit
>the bull in the meat
>on the neck. I think
>the arrow went right where
>he was looking. Right at
>
>The rack. Terrible deal.
>Bull Bugeld at 5 yds
>from shooter. I think he
>soiled his panties. He
>is either hooked for life
>or will need years of
>therapy to get over missing
>his once in a lifetime
>opportunity. That's archery elk hunting
>hi and lows

That Bull is most likely DEAD.

A long time ago I had a bull wound up and called him in to 40 YDS broadside, He jumped the string and spun to run away and I hit him in the meat of the neck.

Long story short the arrow flew at 8:30AM, after a very - VERY long tracking day... 5 miles and right at dark we caught up to the bull... On his feet none the less. Anyway, he didn't go but maybe another 150 yards and died after we gave up for the night. Recovered the bull the next day.

He bled really good at first, then quit, around 1PM we jumped him out of his bed and there was a huge puddle of blood, soon after he quit bleeding again.

I seriously think 99% of hunters, including guides give up way too easily and/or are not good enough at tracking to recover animals that they hit and don't find right away.

If you "HIT" an animal, do the right thing... Keep tracking until you find it... dead or alive. Just make sure you see the same animal again and don't give up. Keep looking for that tiny spec of blood, bent blade of grass, over turned rock, etc.

It also helps to have a hunting buddy that's as good or even better than you at tracking... Thanks Bulls1, if it wasn't for you finding that spec of blood the size of a pin head I don't know if we would have been able to continue tracking that bull.

Well i hope he is not. I was not there i assume the outfitter did all he could do to recover the bull. I should not of posted anything about it as i was not with them. On the bright side my buddy made a perfect 35 yd shot and killed a 350 class Gila bull last night. Packing him out today. If his hunting partner could of shot well at 15 yds they would be going home with 2 giants.

>Heading out in 5 days. I
>amm useless at work and
>home. I need to get
>in the moiuntains!!!!!
+1

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom