Cam/Gear Theft?

ARHunter

We are quickly moving into the time of year I start putting trail cams out in AR. There are places I hunt in-state that I don't mind leaving cameras up. Someone might pull the card, but theft is rare. There are other places I hunt around AR that I know would result in stolen cam within days if not hours. So, my question is about gear theft in NM. Is it bad? Do you feel comfortable leaving cams on public land? Any insight on 34 would be helpful, as I'd like to get a cam up out there sooner than later.

Its the same everywhere, If you put them in obvious spots there history. Out of the way... away from any road you got a 50/50 chance of keeping your property. GL
Jack

Each year I put out cameras even if I don't have any tags; I enjoy seeing what comes across and it helps see what is in the area. I have never had any problems but my cams are also well off any trails. If it's easy for you to get to them or see them from a trail, its easy for someone to see them and possibly steal the camera or card. I did put one in a lockbox and used a python to secure it to the tree near a well-used watering hole near a trail, and there were several people who saw it and I have a few pics of peoples faces! For unit 34, all my cams have been at least 30 minutes off the trail with no issues. A lockbox and a cable is a sound investment if you are worried about theft.

In NM your stuff is ok in a tree deep in the forest but you leave it in the truck and it's gone !! Truck is probably gone too.

Everywhere is rampid with theft never had a problem in 27 seven years hunting nm if it takes 5 Trips to empty the truck then so be it in a hotel parking lot. never leave anything at camp un locked you don't want to loose. Maybe I have benn lucky or pay close attention to my surroundings I can remember growing up you never locked the house never needed a key to get in. Times have changed and we need to adapt and still help the good.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom